fmcard911

Installing Solar Panels Without Drilling Holes

I am considering using the following mounts to attached a solar panel to my Class C RV with a rubber roof.

And

Example installation from

xrv-solar-system-diy-21623084.jpg.pagesp

Question I have is with a rubber roof that is basically glued down, is their any issues with gluing these mounts to the rubber roof?

Will this work on a rubber roof?

Thanks

fmcard911,

The rubber roof material is not glued to the roof to a point it can not be removed if it needs to be replace. Also! there are few if any adhesives that would not react with the chemical composition.

When incompatible adhesives come in contact with the rubber, it tends to bubble or form blisters and when this happens the material comes loose from the under-laminate (The bond between the two brakes down).

All the mounts I have seen where screwed to the roof support ribs under the laminate. Then sealed with Dicor sealant.

One needs to consider the possible loose of the adhesion between the rubber and roof deck along with the wind load while driving and strong cross winds adding a load to the adhesive(s)

Personally I would not advise the mounting of the panels using adhesives.

Rich.

I agree with Rich, I would not trust gluing to the rubber roof because of bond issues.

If there is a luggage rail already there, a simple addition across that with some aluminum channel or angle would do nicely. If no rack already there, a simple rack across the roof attached to the drip rails will work since you obviously don't want to drill into the roof.

The Sikaflex mentioned in the add for bonding will work well to the aluminum. Sikaflex is the same material used in airplane bonding of panels to the ribs underneath them these days.

I wouldn't trust the strength of the bond between the rubber and the sub structure. You already have about 40 holes in your roof that you need to inspect and reseal as needed. So why the reluctance to drill more holes?

Bill

Agree with Bill. Locate where you would like the panels to be mounted, making sure you have a good route for the cable. Drill and screw the panels down and cover each bracket with the proper sealant. Be sure the sealant is compatible with your Rubber membrane.

Drill, seal and charge away. :)

Herman

For sure you need to secure your panels to the roof with more than adhesive. There is quite a wind load when traveling down the road and the panels have some weight to them so there is a lot of desire for the mass of the panel to move when the coach is moving up down sideways due to road bumps. As stated get a tube of Dicor self leveling sealant compatible with rubber roof to seal the roof penetrations you make to fasten the panels and to pass your cabling thru the roof.

Also note that use of solar panel "Z" brackets will provide the proper air space under the panels. Your panel installation specs will likely recommend a small air space under the panels so they don't get too hot.

RAS

2008 Itasca Cambria 29H, 1: 80 watt solar panel on roof

Manhattan, Kansas

I was looking at the picture again and I would make sure you can walk past the solar panels with out tripping. The way they look in that picture it would be hard to get past them with out tripping or walking on the edge of the roof. Be safe I see a serious safety problem trying to get past the panels.

Bill