gaylemarlowe

Chassis Air Chuck

Just found out something that has bothered me since we got our Dutch Star 4320. Under the small "hood" where generator is in the front, is an air fitting. (quick connect air chuck, female) When we got it years ago, I tried to get air out of the fitting to air the tires, but no luck. Figured it was either not hooked up or was shut off somewhere I could not see. So, bought a portable small compressor that would go to 125 psi and have carried that with me on our trips.

Yesterday, was checking everything over getting ready for our long trip next week and tried it again since I was in there checking the generator. No air. The wife is bending over me watching and says "have you tried it with the engine running"? I said the engine did not need to be running as I still had about 100 lbs on the dash gauge for chassis air. She said " well, it won't hurt to try". So, being the good husband and not wanting to depress her small amount of interest in what I was doing, I said sure, I'll try it.

So, fired up the diesel, went to the air fitting that previously had no air, and VIOLA!!! 125lbs of air.
Sheepishly, I looked at her, gave her my sincerest smile, and said thank you very much.

Evidently, the line is hooked directly to the compressor and does not take air from any tank or the chassis air system. Sure glad I figured out how to fix the problem! :)

So, the next time the wifey gives you a suggestion for your mechanical problem, give it a bit of thought before dismissing it cause she does not understand engines and stuff mechanical! :)

I know I will be listening just a bit closer to her when she gives me those unasked for suggestions!

Signed: Humbled

Now, having the air system plumbed that way does make sense when you think about it and to be honest I have never used mine with out the engine running.

So it might be setup the same way and I had no clue.

Sure places the connector in the system at a point of highest pressure.

Now! I'm going to have to try mine with the engine off and air in the system. LOL

Rich.

Rich,

Let us know if yours works with the engine off.

It makes sense that the compressor must be running to get air from the chuck so as to not deplete air bags etc.

I have an air chuck in my fuel tank area on the driver's. There is pressure with or without the engine running. However with the engine off the pressure goes down quickly. I believe the air chuck under the front cowl is for towing to keep the park brake from setting if there is a drop in pressure when being towed.

Herman

Same here, the one next to my generator has a one way check valve, it will only allow air in, not out. The air chuck next to my propane tank is the connection for airing up my tires....etc.

I am still laughing at his post, I could picture my wife and I having that same discussion and then having to hear about it weekly until the day I die. :)

I believe that air fitting is to air up your system to release the parking brakes for towing instead of using caging bolts on the brake pots.

bm02tj,

The air systems are different for different coaches. When I needed a tow, the driver could not get air into the system using the convenient outlet at the front.

He needed to run an air supply all the way to the back and connect to a point near the air dryer.

Mine has some air when the engine is not running, but for a good supply the engine needs to be running. There is a check valve in the line preventing it from being used to release the breaks or maintain the air ride.

Rich.

Driver side front is where my air compressor is at and there are 3 fittings. One female for airing tires or whatever, two males for dumping air/moisture! Note: Don't dump moisture at 6:00am in RV Park, you will not win friends! :angry::rolleyes:

I have air connection next to 7 pin in rear! :)

Carl

You realize that when Coach air pressure drops below tire air pressure, you are actually sucking air out of the tire. There is a U Tube video showing a valve setup to get around this issue.

When you need to be towed, the odds are that you won't have power! Therefore, one of your air valves has a female connector, it's for airing up your max ride height. That prevents bottom dragging when towed.

Best case is to be on a flat bed!

Carl

As a rule, a male fitting on your coach is for putting air INTO the coach. A female fitting on your coach is for taking air OUT of the coach. If there is no fitting on an air line which has a shutoff valve, it is an air tank moisture drain.

As a rule, a male fitting on your coach is for putting air INTO the coach. A female fitting on your coach is for taking air OUT of the coach. If there is no fitting on an air line which has a shutoff valve, it is an air tank moisture drain.

Not always, The female chuck in the front of your coach is so the tow truck can connect a air hose. They use a task made hose that has male fittings on both ends.

Bill