brocki

Cummins Onan EC30W Autostart Loses Communication

I am of the feeling that this is an old subject. Bought the unit about 2 years ago but never used it much. After about 10 to 15 days on the road using the unit, the remote control looses contact with the generator module and you no longer have any control over the generator through this unit.

The manual buttons on the dash still control the generator manually. I have tried all the little fixes suggested in the owners manual to no avail. Entire unit was replaced under warranty by Cummins Onan of Elkhart. Have had this unit about 3 months and have the same problem.

Has anyone with this unit found a solution for this problem? I know from conversations with Cummins Onan that there was serious problems with software in the early units. Supposedly those were worked out. Apparently not so. We really like the freedom the unit gives us when we are boondocking, but not when it doesn't work.

brocki,

Post reads that you can start the unit manually at dash.

Are both the remote and the main control panel the remote communicates with failing to work?

Main battery Switch closed on house battery? (A coach disconnect switch set in the off position will power down the unit)

DC power fuse OK?

House battery fuse OK?

Engine Battery fuse OK, if this option installed?

Rich.

System Specifications.

Cummings Onan Energy Command

Voltage- 8 to 35 V DC-Suitable for 12 volt or 24 volt systems

Current- 0.05A @ 12 Volts-Back light on

Start / Stop - Switch rated @ 1.0 amp.

Control outputs- Rated @ 1.0 amp

Energy Command 30W (remote) Specifications

Operating voltage range-2 to 5.5 Vdc

Reverse polarity protected, short circuit protected

RF transmitting frequency range-ISM 2.4 GHz

Installed transmitter range -150ft. Maximum

Estimated Transmitter battery life- 2 to 7 days depending on use

Security- 1 in 10,000,000 chance of repeating codes.

Yes, all those things seem to be OK as far as I can determine. All you can tell of the module that is hooked to the generator is if it is powered on and that is confirmed with two of the 3 normal lights being lit. And remember the local (dash) controls start and stop the generator just fine. As I said earlier, I know this has been a problem in the past but I am guessing by the lack of responses that there has not been and field solutions.

brocki,

Thanks for your feedback!

Will take a little time to see what might might turn up on some other web sights.

I do not know how popular the system is, but bad news tends to travel faster then good!

Rich.

I had this problem for over a year, where the generator module would lose communication with the remote controller. I initially had the gen module mounted on the front of the firewall. I was advised that mounting the gen module inside the firewall would eliminate the problem. I did and it did.

Sorry for the delay. My module is mounted on the inside of the coach on the firewall. It is only just over 20 ft from the remote module.

Sorry for the delay. My module is mounted on the inside of the coach on the firewall. It is only just over 20 ft from the remote module.

nctox,

Is inside the coach where your module was/is mounted?

nctox,

Is inside the coach where your module was/is mounted?

brocki,

I too am sorry for the delay.

Yes, I re-located my generator module to the inside of the firewall after numerous times of it failing to "establish communication". My remote control is located just behind the drivers seat, appx 5' away, from the gen module. Since re-locating the module, it has only lost comm with the controller once, and then re-established comm shortly afterward.

OK, my remote is beside the thermostat so the AC and heat would be the same on both controls. That is still only 23 ft. away. Supposed to be well in range. When I get it back from Onan (again), I will try it where you put it. The last time we installed it, it worked about 7 or 8 times then lost contact. That means that many days that we were on the road. Lets see if this makes any difference. BTW, when yours DID lose contact, did it re-establish contact automatically or did you have to do some manual gyrations?

OK, my remote is beside the thermostat so the AC and heat would be the same on both controls. That is still only 23 ft. away. Supposed to be well in range. When I get it back from Onan (again), I will try it where you put it. The last time we installed it, it worked about 7 or 8 times then lost contact. That means that many days that we were on the road. Lets see if this makes any difference. BTW, when yours DID lose contact, did it re-establish contact automatically or did you have to do some manual gyrations?

I helped it along by removing the battery pack. Actually I just disconnected the little plug inside the rechargeable battery compartment, then reconnected it. That reset it and got it reestablished

I HAVE AN EC 30W AUTOSTART.  It was purchased in around 2005.  I've asked the Onan service center about software updates and they always told me that if it works, don't change anything.  Well, it isn't communicating now, even after resetting the control unit and going through the sync modes.   Any ideas?   I have checked the wiring and haven't found any problems.  When I plug the unit power supply into the wall, all of the lights seem to do a auto-check by lighting up and then going out.  Then immediately the communication error shows.  

19 hours ago, F318927 said:

I HAVE AN EC 30W AUTOSTART.  It was purchased in around 2005.  I've asked the Onan service center about software updates and they always told me that if it works, don't change anything.  Well, it isn't communicating now, even after resetting the control unit and going through the sync modes.   Any ideas?   I have checked the wiring and haven't found any problems.  When I plug the unit power supply into the wall, all of the lights seem to do a auto-check by lighting up and then going out.  Then immediately the communication error shows.  

F 318927, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

Transmitter / Receiver. The entire module is self testing. However ! it has no clue that the information is not being exchanged between the generator unit and the remote  control module.  

Page 22 of your manual pictures the wiring, but you might need to contact Onan tech and ask if it is a module issue or a software  corruption issue.

You might want to look into the AGS option offered by Magnum power,  Xantrex or the company that made the inverter / charger used in you coach to see what might be the best option / or price.

Rich.