Trynforpar

Where To Mount EZ Pass

I'm a newbie to motorhomes and would like to know the most common location on the windshield to mount an EZ Pass.

Do most of you mount it on top, bottom or left side.

Trynforpar. Welcome to the Forum! I've been trying for par, for 25 years now! LOL <_<

I got mine in center, about 4 inches from top on Coach and same on toad. Newer had an issue! :)

Good Luck and safe travel.

Carl

On our Class C, we had intermittent problems being read when it was on the windshield, under the cabover.

So, we obtained a bumper-mount model from our supplying state (Virginia), and have had no problems ever since.

Center windshield about twelve inches from top. No issues. Have one transmitter for MH, and one for MH with toad. Keep the unused device in metal box when not being used. Have FL and VA that gives me national access.

Indiana EZ Pass instructions I received said to use those for trucks, buses, etc for my motorhome - 1 to 2 inches from the bottom of the windshield centered or just to the right of center if it is a divided windshield. Has worked well so far through Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylviania, New York

Stoloffs,

Since you have problems with it on the windshield wouldn't it have better to mount it to the front of camper above the windshield rather then down on the bumper where it could be stolen?

Herman

Herman:

You make a good point about the risk of theft.

I had considered using security (1-way) screws to mount it, figuring that any prevention would be better than none. However, since our home base is Florida -- home of the SunPass -- I have to remove it and put it in a Mylar bag whenever I return home, so it's more often off the coach than actually mounted.

That's 1 of the 2 reasons for not mounting it on the A-pillar area (still under the fiberglass overhang) or on the fiberglass itself; the other is in our signature ("customized for Mobility"). I just can't get up there on a ladder these days.

But, thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,
Gerry​

Indiana EZ Pass instructions I received said to use those for trucks, buses, etc for my motorhome - 1 to 2 inches from the bottom of the windshield centered or just to the right of center if it is a divided windshield. Has worked well so far through Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylviania, New York

The instructions that came with my EZ PAS was to mount the motorhome one to the left of center about 6 in down. The car was to the right of center behind the rearview mire. I got mine in New Hampshire in June. One for the Motorhome and one for the car. I keep the one in the car in the protective bag when towing so it cant be read. I was motivated after paying full price on the George Washington bridge $76.00.

It has been thoroughly tested and have had no problems.

Bill

Ditto Carl, I have three Toll Tags, Car, Truck and MH. When we use a Toll Road it read the vehicle. When we are towing the truck with the MH it reads the MH and the truck. This works on all Toll Roads in both Texas and Oklahoma. That is nice. Kansas has the same agreement with Oklahoma but not Texas yet. They hope to have it in place soon. I sure wish there was a National Toll Tag.

Herman

From Wiki: "Under MAP-21 (Federal legislation passed in 2012), all ETC (Electronic Tool Collection) facilities in the United States must reach some form of interoperability by October 1, 2016." So we have something to look forward to. Hope it is not delayed.

When we had a class C with front overhang, we mounted our I-Pass low/center of the windshield and it worked fine. If you ever want to see if your device is working properly, just head for a manual/cash toll collection lane. Gate should open automatically. Note: I-Pass, EZ-Pass, I-Zoom are all compatible with each other.

These devices do have non-replaceable batteries in them and they do die eventually. We had concerns about ours and stopped at an I-Pass service center. They confirmed the battery was dead and quickly replaced it at no charge.

The I-Pass is issued by Illinois. We don't live in Illinois but we do have an Illinois I-Pass. It is very user friendly. Everything can be done online, including getting one. They have only 2 types: a white one for cars, non-commercial trucks, RV's, etc., and a blue one for commercial trucks and buses. No classes of vehicles to be concerned with. You can list all your vehicles under one I-Pass - cars, trailers, motorhomes, etc., no matter what the size. We have one I-Pass and move it between vehicles as needed (legal with I-Pass). Once when we were traveling with friends in their vehicle, we listed their vehicle and used our I-Pass without any problem.

Hope this helps.

We have the windshield mount design, its located about 12" up from the bottom of the TV cabinet, facing forward. its actually mounted backwards since its stuck to the cabinet but works just fine.

Bill.

Quote " I keep the one for the car in a bag, so it can't be read when towing"! Your post 6:28 yesterday.

Carl

Bill.

Quote " I keep the one for the car in a bag, so it can't be read when towing"! Your post 6:28 yesterday.

Carl

This was per the instructions from EZ Pass. Pleas show me what facts you have for your statement. What does the toll I payed before I got the EZ-Pass have to do with anything? Most people know that EZ-PASS is not valid in Texas.

Bill

Texas is EZ Tag. Only debited when used. Populate the EZ Tag with $40 and leave it there forever. As you use it tolls will be deducted. When it gets down to around $15 it will populate to $40 with the CC card or bank account selected when registering.

It sh\ure would be nice if there was one toll system throughout the U.S. eh?

Wayne. Yes, it would! What each State charges, I don't care. There are some toll roads, that I need to start slowing down as soon as I get up to speed or take the long way around on a secondary road.

I guess we have to wait until October and then how will we know, if the bill becomes a reality?

Carl

Ours is at the bottom next to the center post. I drive an 18 wheeler and that is where they work well on high vehicles, so I mounted my ez pass there on the mh. Never had a problem.

Be sure when you order the EZPass you order one type and place it where it belongs for that type.

Example, they make the following that i am aware of;

1, windshield mount

2, roof mount

3, license plate mount

If you order a license plate mount and put it on the roof or up high they tend not to work. I had a driver at work take a license plate mount off and had one of our shops place it on a roof faring, needless to say the booth missed the transponder everytime. Funny the roof mount and license plate mount look identical. :o

We move ours from motorhome to car and have never had a problem just setting it on the dash. Works great. Ours is from Delaware, (no yearly service charge).

Have placed mine in the same location in the motorhome as I have in the car. There has been no problems.

OK, I get it that one can mount an EZPass in a number of locations and that there are several non-compatible systems around the US. That is the easy part. WHat I would really like is the Dummy's Guide to EZPass.

How many do I need? One for RV and one for the toad? or just one and move it? Or do I need to have one in each vehicle? Everything I've read just leave me wondering.

Thank you

OK, I get it that one can mount an EZPass in a number of locations and that there are several non-compatible systems around the US. That is the easy part. WHat I would really like is the Dummy's Guide to EZPass.

How many do I need? One for RV and one for the toad? or just one and move it? Or do I need to have one in each vehicle? Everything I've read just leave me wondering.

Thank you

Where are you located? Are you in a state that has EZPass? You can walk in or do it on line or call. If you are not in the north east I would do it before I traveled there and save some money.

You need one per vehicle. If you are towing your toad they told me to take the toad transponder and place it in the special bag so it can't be read.

http://www.e-zpassiag.com/

Bill