Trynforpar

Where To Mount EZ Pass

jimnorman, let me help.

When you apply for the EZpass you are presented with options, basically what is the weight class of the vehicle it is intended for. In my situation I bought two, one for the coach and one for our cars, the toll charges for the higher weight vehicle are more. When I am towing the jeep it does not have the 2nd EZpass inside. When I go through a toll booth it follows the coach EZpass and that EZpass gets the charges applied to it.

When you set up the account you must fill in all vehicle information that belongs to each transponder, so the one for the RV only has that listed, the other one we just keep in case were going somewhere and we just snap it to the windshield in what ever car we decide to take. In our situation the Jeep is listed on our vehicle list, so when it goes through a toll booth in tow the RV transponder gets charged for both based off of the weights of the axles.

Now, if you place the RV transponder into your car you will supposedly pay a higher toll, this is the reason we have two. they also have an option to keep a credit card on file and when your account goes below a certain dollar amount (I think it's $70.00) they charge your card. PA EZpass usually sends me emails to keep me up to date on the account status.

I hope this helps.

In the Dallas Fort Worth area, we have Toll Tags issued by NTTA. I have three tags. One on the car, one on the truck and the third on the motor home. Rather then set the coaches tag for 5 as axles I have it set for three. This way if I am not towing I only get charged for three. When towing it reads both tags and I am charged for five. NTTA set up an account for you on your credit card for $80.00. I'm not sure at what balance they recharge but you will see it on your statement.

Herman

We have one EZ pass. Have it on the dash of the motorhome when towing and on the dash of the car when just using the car. Don't know how it does it but it knows how many axles. and we are charged acordingly. Never have seen a mistake on our statement.

Been a while since I checked in. Thanks for the info above. Last question, Which State offers the best deal?

Well the big question is where are you located and where are you traveling? The above discussion covered at least 2 different tags.

The main one is the EZ-Pass that covers most of the east coast. Florida has their own system. The Texas toll tag is only in Texas. They are working to create a interoperability but so far it hasn't happened.

Bill

Reside in NJ. Travel PA, MD, DE, VA, WV, NC, SC, mostly. May also hit OH, KY, TN, GA. May also get to MO, AR, OK in the next couple years.

I understand that you can get an EZ-pass from other than your home state and some are definitely better than others.

Reside in NJ. Travel PA, MD, DE, VA, WV, NC, SC, mostly. May also hit OH, KY, TN, GA. May also get to MO, AR, OK in the next couple years.

I understand that you can get an EZ-pass from other than your home state and some are definitely better than others.

I don't know if one state is better. I got my pass in a walk in in New Hampshire. When I got my EZ-Pass they told me to remove the tag in the toad when it was hooked up. When hooked up it is billed as a trailer not a car. They even gave me a shielded envelop to keep the tag in.

Your assignment is to find out if one place is better and how much.

Bill

Herman. Happy New Year!

Like your idea of one pass fits all States, but that is like Congress agreeing on a issue. It ain't going to happen in my life! :P<_<

From reading all the States that have a Tag, we would have as many cards to keep track off as we did in Texas during dry county days-- $3.00 for a club membership to get a beer! :lol:

Carl

I keep reading the various threads and state sites. Confusing. I am not sure how many transponders I'll need. We have the Rig, the Toad and my daily vehicle. At no time will the Rig and the Daily Driver need a transponder simultaneously. The toad and the Rig obviously will be together at the toll booths, the Rig may on occasion be out and about without the Toad. The toad may, albeit rarely need the Transponder while out on a trip, but generally not at home. At home the Daily Driver would be primary user. At no time would the Toad and the Daily driver need the Transponder and if the Rig needs it the toad will likely be attached if it is along on the trip. So, if all I ever need going through a toll booth is the one in the RV and I can move it to the Toad or the Daily Driver as needed, I think One Transponder is it. Just not sure. I see where people have to remove the one from the Toad if they are towing to avoid a second charge. Unless you were going to go your separate ways on a trip and both would travel a toll road, I think all I need is One.

I understand Delaware may be the best price, but then there are discounts that may or may not be honored depending upon what state you are in and where your EZ pass is from.

I think I'd rather we all paid and extra $100 a year and just scrapped the toll system! There is a fairly major cost to administer and maintain a toll system.

I don't see the big problem. Just go to your local walk in office and get transponders for all your cars and your motor home. You can get 4 transponders per account. They are serial numbered to the car or motor home. I drove my toad on more toll roads than the motorhome this summer. It might be helpful for you to go re read what I have posted before, slowly ;).

Bill

So I went to the Delaware EZ Pass site to sign up. I will have to call them on Monday. Got all the way to the payment and the site puked. I am sort of registered as my user name is no longer available, but I can't log in. Maybe all is good, maybe it is not. The transaction is not posted to my card, but that may or may not be an indicator of success or failure.

Update:Apparently the site 'created' a couple accounts for me. I had to call twice, once Monday and again Tuesday, but everything I straightened out, probably. I should receive my transponders in the mail tomorrow or Thursday. There was a bit of a disconnect with one CSR about the number of transponders I needed and where they should be. They have and are supplying a 'No-Read' bad for the unit in the toad. At first she didn't realize that the RV was over 7k pounds, this lead us down a couple false trails. Anyway, I think it is all straightened out.

I admit a hate the idea of being tracked, but with multiple cell phones and paying for gas and other with a CC, adding a EZPass really doesn't compromise my privacy. With a number of roads that used to be free adding tolls, it just seemed to be time.

Indiana EZ Pass instructions I received said to use those for trucks, buses, etc for my motorhome - 1 to 2 inches from the bottom of the windshield centered or just to the right of center if it is a divided windshield. Has worked well so far through Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylviania, New York

I agree. I sent a message to North Carolina regarding the instructions to mount at the top of a windshield. I mount on the top when driving my Jeep, but at the center bottom in my Itasca Suncruiser.

I agree. I sent a message to North Carolina regarding the instructions to mount at the top of a windshield. I mount on the top when driving my Jeep, but at the center bottom in my Itasca Suncruiser.

Just remember to take it off the windshield when the jeep is being towed behind the motorhome. You should have a bag to store it in so it isn't read or you will be charged twice.

Bill

I received my units from Delaware. So far only mounted the one in the daily driver. I still don't like that I am tracked but in reality we are tracked by On-Star, Credit Cards and Cell phones already so EzPass is just a small increment. That said, it has worked flawlessly and yes, it does save me some time and fumbling for change. I registered the one I use for both the daily driver and the toad, but frankly I doubt it will get moved as it is rare at this time that I'd need to clear a toll once I've reached a destination. I'll bring it along in the bag just in case.

I received my units from Delaware. So far only mounted the one in the daily driver. I still don't like that I am tracked but in reality we are tracked by On-Star, Credit Cards and Cell phones already so EzPass is just a small increment. That said, it has worked flawlessly and yes, it does save me some time and fumbling for change. I registered the one I use for both the daily driver and the toad, but frankly I doubt it will get moved as it is rare at this time that I'd need to clear a toll once I've reached a destination. I'll bring it along in the bag just in case.

As you know each EzPass is serial numbered to a specific car or motorhome. There was some one who said they just use the one from the motorhome when they take the toad. I bet they can't figure out why their bill is so high. They are getting charged the motorhome rates while driving their toad. I found I hit more toll roads getting around in the toad than in the motorhome especially around Portland Main. It was just easier to use the toll roads than driving non toll.

Bill

I inquired about this. I have two units, one is for the RV, the other is for my Daily Driver and my Toad. You can use one EZPass unit across multiple vehicles, but not across multiple classes of vehicle. You do have to register each vehicle against each EZPass. I can't just put my EZPass in my daughter's car unless I add it to the roster.

I inquired about this. I have two units, one is for the RV, the other is for my Daily Driver and my Toad. You can use one EZPass unit across multiple vehicles, but not across multiple classes of vehicle. You do have to register each vehicle against each EZPass. I can't just put my EZPass in my daughter's car unless I add it to the roster.

Jim, we have 2 transponders for 4 vehicles. One for the coach (never leaves) the other is the one that bounces around. I added all of the other cars to the list and we just pass it around. We tow a Jeep behind the coach, while the Jeep is in tow I put the EZ s in it's sleeve and place it in the glove box, just in case while we are exploring we have to travel on toll roads.

FYI, don't forget to add any trailers you may have to the list just in case you are towing one down a toll road. It took one ticket in the mail for me to realize I needed to add them.

Bill.

Quote " I keep the one for the car in a bag, so it can't be read when towing"! Your post 6:28 yesterday.

Carl

I live in Florida and when we got our class A several years ago I called Florida Epass on how to proceed. I did not have their model that permanently mounted but the one with the suction cups to move from my wife's car to my truck when needed. I was told when one of the cars is in tow behind the motorhome to put our ONLY tag in the motorhome. When I look online at my account it lists our car, truck and motorhome on the account. How they know when we are using the MH with car in tow i have no clue. If they are reading my vehicle plate tag that would be a challenge as we usually have a motorcycle in the bed of the truck. It's been this way for 3 years now with no problems.

I also have a NY epass that has only seen car duty as of now but will be traveling north this fall. I will call NY epass for guidance.

We have both I-Pass and Sun-Pass.

According to Illinois I-Pass authority: "I-PASS users do not need to register with E-ZPass, and E-ZPass users do not need to register with I-PASS in order to use the other system."

Our Sun-Pass is not only good for Florida but Georgia and North Carolina.

Unfortunately I often forget to place the transponder on the windshield and leave it in the cabinet under the dash--and have never experienced a problem because the monitors at the toll area reads the license plate and charges the Sun-Pass or I-Pass account. I never keep the transponder in the car when unattached--and have yet to have a problem or billing issue.

For the greater Houston area, mounting the "Harris County Toll Road EZ Tag" about a foot below the top of the window works well.

I got a letter, 3 weeks ago from EZ Tag, telling me that I'm good on all Texas Toll Roads. Same if you have TexTag! The bad news for tourists is that not all Toll roads have cash only lanes anymore...TexTag takes a picture of your License Plate and mails you an invoice if you don't have a tag, but Harris County (Houston), sends out a ticket and it is more than what you would have been charged had they had a cash booth!

What makes it hard is that not all Toll roads in Texas is the same cost per mile! Also, there is 2 different billing company's! The one for TexTag is still a disaster.

Carl