lionhouse75

Alaska 2016 Possibilities

Hello to you all. We are both brand new to motorhome life. We just purchased a 2015 Fleetwood Bounder 33C, our first MH (upgrading from a lightweight travel trailer used only locally). We have taken it out locally a lot to learn it, but our real bucket list item is to drive up to Alaska from the San Diego area summer 2016.

So my first very basic question as I am just beginning my research is this: is it feasible/possible to drive such a rig all the way up to Alaska? I have read some of the opinions on another thread here about flying there then renting vs. going with a caravan vs. going on your own. However, before even choosing which method, what are the limitations of driving that kind of rig in Alaska? Can one do the Dalton Hwy for instance, in this kind of rig? Regardless of method, would we need to tow a car (we haven't even figured that one out yet at all)?

I just ordered the 2015 Milepost guide so I have that on the way but interested in knowing feasibility, limitations and advice from those who have gone before us!

Thanks very much.

Peg and Reid Mitchell

San Diego, CA

Welcome to the FMCA forum.

You will get many differing opinions about driving your rig to Alaska. First, I would not try the Dalton in a motorhome. The BLM recommends 2 full size mounted spare tires for anyone on this road. There is no cell or Internet service along the road. It is primarily a trucking road and may have potholes and washboard.

We made the trip to Alaska in 2012 and had zero problems and no damage. We went with a caravan. We have 2 different couples that are friends of ours just starting to return from Alaska. One couple went with. caravan and one went on their own. Neither has had a problem or damage.

The main thing to do if you travel to Alaska is to slow down. The frost heaves on the roads and some roads under construction can be extremely rough and will cause damage. We found a road under construction in Montana to be just as rough.
If you are not mechanically inclined, you might want to consider traveling with a group. For retired or active military, SMART has a caravan.

No one can really make the decision but just do what is comfortable for you.

Hi, Leary. Your right on about opinions!

Been there and done that, 2 times in the 80's and again in 97'. Would I do it again? Yes! In a brand new coach? No way, because it takes more than, week end trips to work all the bugs out. Also, there is a learning curve in having a coach vs. trailer.

I would wait until 17' and spend 16' traveling the lower 48, where you can get things fix, just about around every corner! In Alaska, there aren't that many people who own RV's to begin with, therefore it's generally a long wait to get parts !

First trip up? Take a Caravan!

Carl