ripnfix

Tail Light Fuse Location

Good day, evening, or morning; as the case may be.

We have a 2000 Damon Escaper 3970.

Recently while changing a marker lens (cracked) I discovered that the marker lamps, tail lights and parking lights were not working.

I been searching for the fuse panel that the fuse would be in. but so far the panels I've found, have no blown fuse's. .At the same time I have not found any fuse marked as tail/ parking/ marker .One panel location in the left rear compartment had engine related items, none for lights, AC, wipers or dash components.

There are 3 other panels located on the firewall up front. One large and two smaller ones. similar to the one found in the rear compartment.

.I removed all fuses and found all to be good.

I did find fuse's for wipers, blower motor, lighter acc.,they were located in the larger panel.

So my questions are:

1) Is there another location I can check for a panel? ( already seach under the dash, found some inline fuse's , but none for the affected circuits)

2) Is it possible that its a circuit breaker type and under a different listing? Or a relay?

3) Could it be the problem is in the headlight switch?

Any insights help or suggestion will be welcome.

Look in the rear outside bins for a small fuse panel. If it is a rear diesel, you may have two small fuse panels. The second one would be for the transmission.

ripnfix,

Do the instrument panel lights work?

What chassis is the coach built on?

Rich.

Yes all instrument /dash lights are working, Spartan mountian master chassis

Look in the rear outside bins for a small fuse panel. If it is a rear diesel, you may have two small fuse panels. The second one would be for the transmission.

I did find 1 panel in the rear compartment , appears to have relays and fuse's for transmission. no other . Found another panel last night (number 5), but all fuse's were OK. One was marked as marker light, but still have not found any mark tail light. I do have a DOT marker light disruptor switch on the dash. Still wondering if the headlight sw. or now possibly the disruptor sw. is defective.

Planning on calling Spartan today to see if they can direct me to the correct panel for the fuse's in question.

Thanks again

ripnfix,

The fact that the dash lights work takes the light switch out of the mix as a problem.

I have a feeling that your coach is equipped with an ICC switch and relay circuit and I did forget to ask. If your coach is equipped with this, this is where I would look for a loose connection. Inside around the area of the switch wiring and the relay circuit. The circuit (If you have one) is always enabled and turns off the lights when you toggle the switch to flash the lights.

This switch and relay setup turns all the lights off and on.

A call to Spartan Chassis with your VIN number should enable them to supply you with a PDF wiring file and the wiring for this circuit.
The standard fuse size is 20 amps and will be located in the chassis fuse box, but ask if there is a inline fuse.

Good luck and keep us in the loop regarding you progress.

Rich.

Thanks Rich,

I agree about the light switch not being the cause. With dash lights working, I tend to think maybe the disruptor switch (icc Blinker)

I'm going to try by pass the icc button and wire direct to see.

I called Spartan, guys there are really a help. Sent over the cut sheets for all panels, found the marker/ tail fuse's

(2 in two different panels with the corresponding relays) unfortunately they appear to be good.

ripnfix,

Been at one of the kids residences removing some(bigger trees then I probably should be tackling) for a couple of days. Job was simple when we cleared lots with a D 10. LOL

Glad that you got some helpful information.

You might check the 2 fuses you mentioned with a meter.

There should be 12 volts present at one of the terminals of the ICC switch.

Voltage at the switch - then look at your drawings and trace the feed from the switch back to one or in your case (2?) relays to see if you get voltage at one or both relays.

If you do not get voltage at them, sounds like a open circuit - loose connection or broken wire.

Voltage at the relay when switch is pressed - open ground or defective relay.

Check things out and keep the group posted on what you find.

Rich.

Happy to report problem located and solved .We called Spartan and were able to have them send a set of drawings for the electrical system.

I started out by checking voltage at verified fuse locations.Voltage was good at both fuse's.

After examining the drawings we found that both fuse locations have relays also. Our next step was to change the relay(s) with another. Still no go.

At this point it was time to check the headlight switch and the ICC switch. The headlight switch check out fine. The ICC switch was OK to. Examining the plug for both switches we discovered that one of the wires going into the plug seemed a little loose. After tightening the wire terminal at the connection we retried and had positive results. Happy to report all issues resolved.

Thanks to all for your insights, and suggestions

ripnfix,

Thanks for the up date! Glad you got the lights working!
Sometimes those loose connections will lead you around by the nose.

This is how your system works from the information you supplied:
With 2 relays - the ICC switch will power both relays, when you depress the momentary switch with just the marker lights on they will flash.
When the marker lights and headlights are on they both will flash because the switch will interrupt both circuit relays.

NOW a question, Did the headlights work when the wire was loose at the switch?
If they worked, that wound indicate that marker lights relays closed contacts power the headlight relay coil. Think I.m looking at it correctly.

If you would be willing to share the drawings with me I could verify if my thinking is correct.

Rich.

Upon returning home from a trip we noticed our tail lights and marker lights we were not working. At first we thought it must be a blown fuse. But it turned out to be a corroded wire on the center marker light.

Turn on your emergency flashers. Walk around the motor home listening for the clicking sound the flasher makes. Open up that panel where the clicking is and you will find a small fuse panel. My fuse for my tow car in my coach is in the back along side the engine . Had to take off the panel to get to it.

ripnfix,

Thanks for the up date! Glad you got the lights working!

Sometimes those loose connections will lead you around by the nose.

This is how your system works from the information you supplied:

With 2 relays - the ICC switch will power both relays, when you depress the momentary switch with just the marker lights on they will flash.

When the marker lights and headlights are on they both will flash because the switch will interrupt both circuit relays.

NOW a question, Did the headlights work when the wire was loose at the switch?

If they worked, that wound indicate that marker lights relays closed contacts power the headlight relay coil. Think I.m looking at it correctly.

If you would be willing to share the drawings with me I could verify if my thinking is correct.

Rich.

Happy to share,the cut sheets that Spartan sent over as soon as I figure out how to do that.

Just upgraded to windows 10, feels like 2nd grade again (giggle)

1580-GG5Rev Rear Fuse Panel.pdf

1603-GG5 Front Fuse Panel.pdf