Gmac

Ford Cmax Energi Tire Shake After Turn

A quick thought / question, perhaps for one of the senior members.

I recall some years ago people using a bunge cord between the steering wheel and some point on the car (such as the seat) so that the bunge cord would help turn the steering wheel back to straight ahead. Would this help.

(I just bought a Ford Fusion Hybrid as a Towd - so quite interested in the problem and the solution).

I'am not sure it would work but I should not have to do that if the car is flat towable as the owners manual states. also this didn't happen for the first 3,000 miles of towing.

Gmac

I experienced the death wobble again this week when towing my 2013 Cmax. We were approaching a downhill right hand turn and as I braked the wobble started. I stopped and started and only got the wobbled when I was applying the brakes. I disconnected the air-brake line from the Cmax and experienced no more problems for 500 miles.

Have you ever made the connection that your Cmax tows fine without the auxiliary brakes?? Are the front tires locking up when braking maybe and causing the wobble??

Have you found any solution at all??

This wobble was the same thing I experienced in Florida just one time last spring.I have towed this car for about 10000 miles and encountered this wobble only twice.But when it happens it is serious!

I agree you should not have to put up with problem when it states in manual its OK, but it is what it is.

The bungee cord trick may work but you also have to limit the amount the steering wheel will turn.

You do not want the wheel to turn over half a turn. I would limit it to a little over a third.

Remember my dad doing this years ago because when wheel went over half turn they would not return.With limiter he no more problems.

My bump steer problem happens when I come to a stop and start a right or left turn and start to accelerate the wobble starts and the only way to get it to stop is to apply the brake and come to a stop. As to the bungie cord idea it might work although if the car is supposed to be towable and the manual doesn't require that the steering wheel needs to be restrained I don't think I should have to do it.