Fleetwood, 300 turbo, over heating. I understand clogging radiator can be a major cause and that the engine blow by down spout and spew oil into radiator to hold dirt etc.

So... how to you access the radiator to clean it?

Also, low coolant light on but radiator cap will turn but not pull out. Seal frozen. What cap to they take as I will have to force cap off and probably separate the seal from cap?

adrainey.

Welcome!

I just added 3 quarts of distilled water to my coolant system. I also thought that my cap was frozen. I could turn it, but could not turn it off. I got my friend who is a lot stronger than me and he told me that you have to press down hard and cap comes off...it did! <_<:)

As Brett said, we covered this in another tread.

Carl

adrainey,

As Carl said after the cap is turned part way it must be pushed down and turned. The cap should have the model number and pressure marked on the cap. If you still have difficulty getting the cap off, see if Carl's friend can com over and remove it for you. :rolleyes:

Herman

I too have a Cat engine, 350. It was over heating as well. We took it to a Cat truck centre and they said the back of the rad was completely blocked. Then had one of the service guys crawl under and clean it out with a pressure washer. They also replace the blowdown hose and pointed it away from the rad. They then put it on there Dyno and ran it for a couple of hours and it did not run hot nor has it run hot for the last two years. I now have it checked each time I change the oil.

johnlanderson,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Yup, cleaning the front of the Charge Air Cooler and area between it and the radiator are an annual maintenance item.

OK. Talked to technician who worked for Cat for 10 years. Said 80% of time over heating caused by clogged radiator. Rear radiators had problem. As Cat in it's infinite wisdom had oil blow by tube from engine discharging straight down from engine. "In front of radiator" Result. All road dust and pollution gets caught on radiator "coated" with oil from blow by. Have radiator power cleaned very well. Attach extension pipe or hose from existing down spot and run to back of coach to help prevent future problems
Dudley

Dudley,

Yes, many chassis makers extended the blow by (aka crankcase ventilation tube, aka slobber tube) to behind the intake for the radiator. A VERY common and inexpensive mod if yours doesn't have it.

And, to be clear, 90% of the dirt is on the FRONT of the CAC (Charge Air Cooler), not the radiator. Cleaning from the back will NOT get the job done. Air flows from front to back, and the CAC "filters" the dirt before it gets to the radiator.