huffypuff

24-Hour Generator Test - Power Out At Home

I already ran the generator a few days ago so I knew it would work fine. Yesterday we lost power to the stick built house during a storm. We soon became aware that the power would be out for awhile as it was a very bad one with many communities without power.

I got out, unplugged the 20 amp 50 foot extension cord used to keep the coach batteries charged and plugged in the house refrigerator freezer, a lamp and most important DW cell phone to the coach basement outlet. That save the day for us and lots of money for we didn't lose any food like so many. We were without power for over 24 hours and many in near by community will be without until tomorrow.

Even though we ran the generator over 24 hours lately does not excuse not running the one hour test next month. Imagine what could of happen if the generator didn't work.

Glad you are doing OK. Makes you smile when you go out to start the generator when you really really need it and it starts and runs with no problems. Hope things get back to normal soon.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I still have to have tree service as many trees are down or needs to come down on 2 1/2 acres. That not including branches and the one tree that broke in half. Never saw that before.

Puff, glad you are safe! I heard that area got slammed by some rough storms. I have to agree, having the generator in sitiuations like this is a blessing.

Everytime there is a storm headed for us at home I always fill the fresh water tank on the coach....just in case. We have had to spend a night or two in the summer after storm that caused a power loss when the temps were high (no A/C in the house without power).

Ray, The portable houses with there built in power plants do come in handy when mother nature gets angry!!

The auto run setup on the system is not intuitive. So you know it will run once a month, even if you needed it the day before.

So you need to delay the run - unless you have installed a software system and programmed it to take control,when the system has cycled out side a predetermined window.

The large backup systems at the sights we had backup, still ran there monthly requirement.

The maintenance staff would keep a Hr. log on all our systems and when the systems needed some TLC it was completed.

Rich.

Thanks again everybody, yes we got slammed but we were lucky compare to others that are still without power or generator. Rich I don't have auto start generator so I have to remember to manually run it once a month.

Ray, happy to hear everything is okay and no one hurt.

When Hurricane Rita hit our area we evacuated but not far enough. We had to run the Genny for 4 days, then shut down and try to find fuel. We did, but it was harrowing. That was our very first time out in the MH.

As Herman stated, we also fill up before it goes into storage and not only for the "in case of" need of the Genny but to keep condensation in the tank to a minimum.

Glad everyone is safe.

Just proved it pays to make sure your generator runs all the time. We just had a major wind storm in Vancouver Canada. Power went out around 12:30pm Saturday and serviced returned at 4:20am Tuesday morning. Largest one day storm event in BC Hydro history. At the peak of the storm over 750,000 customers with out power. It stretched the utility to the max. Over 500 hydro workers and contractors working around the clock to restore the system.

Mike at Tynehead RV camp in Surrey

Mike, that is the same storm that hit me in NW Washington. Glad that it's over but not yet for me. All day today I was limbing trees and sure feel it. .

Ray. If you have never seen it, then a tree broken in half is impressive. After "Rita", there was miles of the same, whole forest broken of about 20 foot from the ground! Same with "Ike" in 08'. You never hear about that, just "Kathrina" in poor New Orleans, LA. <_<

I have an 18 KW Onan, runs on propane, at the house! For 3 weeks there was no power, after "Ike", on Galveston Island. When they cut off natural gas, after the electric went out, my gen. was humming along. :wub:

You might want to install one yourself, for peace of mind, when you and your coach is NOT there! :)

Keep sawing, I heard it builds muscles you never knew, you had.... :rolleyes:

Carl

Speaking of 'broken in half trees', anyone who was living from Eugene, Oregon to north of Seatle in October 1962 saw many of those during/after the "Columbus Day Storm". A hurricane came ashore on that day and wreaked so much havoc in the Northwest that it was called a 1000 year storm. Google it if you want to see some amazing pictures. We were out of power for two weeks, and there were many who were out for even longer.

Regarding a home generator - my brother installed an 18 KW at his home in Connecticut. He was tired of power outages. He has been the hit of the neighborhood ever since. He installed it just before Hurricane Sandy....

Hank

2005 Mandalay DP

FMCA 155625

Custer SD

I'd guess that the genny was lightly loaded for extended period - as a swag: 20%. 1.6 Kw max. on a 7.5 Kw genset. . The usual advice is to avoid running lightly loaded - does running at 20% load for 24 hrs harm the genset?

rebane,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Not sure it would do any long-term harm as long a you do go ahead and load it more.

Particularly when exercising the generator (which I do monthly as recommended) I shoot for 50% load. Depending on coach and 120 VAC appliances, that could be: Roof A/C(s), block heater, water heater, space heater(s) etc.

These generators will run for weeks/months at a time...with very little care. That's what we did in VN.

I'm new at this so here goes- 1995 Country Coach Intrigue with a Southeast Power Tech generator. As a penalty for failing to exercise generator, I just replaced the gen end in August. Worked fine. Exercised in September, worked fine. Today tried to exercise and the generator runs, but within 10 seconds it ceases to produce electricity. Lights go out, ac quits. The only thing I noticed was clicking noises from the area in the bedroom where breaker panel and ac control are located. No breakers tripped.

Why is it not producing power? or is something tripping it off? If gen is shut down and restarted, it will produce power for 10 seconds, then stays running but no power produced.

krvn,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

The clicking noise in the bedroom area is very likely the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch). The noise would be expected if the generator is providing power/then power goes off (as contacts make and break).

I would contact Power Tech for troubleshooting help with the generator: 800-760-0027 (eastern time zone).

Had another storm yesterday and ran the generator for 9 hours. This time the generator has just been serviced by Valley Freightliner as I will be leaving for south early next month til spring.