Sign in to follow this  
dmastroluca

Intellitec 50 Amp EMS Load Manager Issue

I am working with Intellitec support on this issue, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue.

The EMS 800 contol pane has 4 input LED's showing your current power source.

Gen Set

50 AMP

30 AMP

20 AMP

All the shore power inputs 50/30/20 light up fine when you apply the desinated power source, and the unit works. When running the generator, the EMS control panel will not light the "Gen Set" LED only the 30 AMP LED. This is preventing me from running both roof airs bacause the load is 32 amps.

I checked at the input/output of the transfer switch, and I have 120 volts on both legs of the generator. I checked the input to the EMS 800 load center and I have both 120 legs of the genny going into the main box.

dmastroluca,

Everything sounds right. What size generator do you have? 7.5 KW or bigger?

The fact that you have 50 amps when on shore power, indicates that you have 2 Hots - L1 and L2

When the transfer switch changes to the generator you should also have 2 Hots.

Thinking one should check the wiring between the ATS and the "J" box interface between the generator and the wiring running back to the ATS.

Check the generator circuit breaker(s). Turn off and back on and see if it needed to be reset or possibly replaced!!

Loose connection, Wire wrong? or loose connection in the "J" Box or they just forgot to run one wire? This is unlikely considering the age of the coach, this should have been picked up at some point in the past; but stranger things have happened.

Rich.

There is four wires coming in from your power cord and should be the same for your generator. I get 50 amp using both shore power and generator and I have same system as you-- maybe different size generator. I think that maybe one wire is open from the generator to make the Intellitec thinking you only have 30 amps. I know open wires can be hard to find as I had to find one broken connection under the coach on the frame. This was the generator stop/prime switch wire. Start at the generator and trace the wires to the transfer switch and be sure all is clean and tight. Like Rich said there could be a junction box between generator and the transfer switch.

Carl I looked on Monaco website and it list a Diplomat 38 PBD with a 7.5 Quiet Diesel. I could not find a 36 at all. I just noticed he recently brought it and maybe warranty from who he brought it from.

It is an Onan 7.5 Kw, and it is a 36 PBD. I was confused too when I went to buy it. From Monaco, the 36PBD is not listed on the 2001 brochure, but it is on the 2002 brochure for some reason??? Bought it from a one owner private party, so no warranty from them. I purchased an extended warranty, but this would fall under the "pre existing" clause of the contract.

I guess I wasn't clear in my first post, I verified both 120v legs of the generator to the EMS logic board. I even verified the required 12V supply to the logic board, and the 12V generator run sense signal to the EMS logic board per the manual and Intellitec tech support. That gen set sense signal is supposed to go to zero volts when the gen is off, and it does. The only thing strange is that there is a third connection on that terminal that is supposed to be a ground and it isn't. I even manually grounded it, and it did not work. Intellitec tech support is stumped. They are great to work with so far, and they want me to call them with my multimeter in hand to check specific test points on the logic board to try and troubleshoot it.

My HOA gets really mad when my coach is on the street over 24 hours, so I am planning on moving the coach from storage, and working with Intellitec tech support on my next day off, Friday morning. I have a feeling it is going to be the logic board.

Well, so much for stellar tech support from Intellitec. I was not lucky enough to get the same tech that was so helpful last time. After a few minutes of getting the new tech support person up to speed on the issue, he seemed to get annoyed with me and then asked for the model number of the logic board. After I gave that info to him, he said that board is obsolete and there is no support for it. Looks like I am buying a replacement, although, after talking with the last tech, I am thinking about going with another EMS system.

UPDATE: It finally cooled down enough in Vegas over the weekend to work in the coach. I installed the new EMS board/ EMS display, and fired up the genny. The GenSet light came on the EMS display board, and I had access to all 65 Amps of power. I was able to turn on both heatpumps, both TV's, the refer on AC, and the convection oven on broil. I hope this board is more robust than the original.