backpacker1

Legal Width for Motorhomes

I am shopping for a new motorhome. Many motor coaches are 101 inches wide. In addition, they will frequently have a few more inches on each side for slide toppers or awnings. Total width is over the 102 inches maximum, excluding safety devices such as mirrors, allowable in most states. Are these motor coaches in violation of state law, or am I applying the law incorrectly?

Thank you for whatever advice you might provide.

Gerard

Welcome to the forum. Think about it would they build a coach that couldn't be sold and licensed in every state? Go find a coach you like and go camping.

Bill

Yes they would build a coach that cannot travel on many of the roads. However - I don't think anyone has ever been cited.

For reference: RV Roadtrips article.

My 2008 is 102" and then add the mirrors of about 12" each side. I have never been questions by any authorities. I guess if they stopped me for some infraction they could through in overwidth.

Wayne the max width does not include safety items such as mirrors. What they can get on some coaches on it is the awnings. With the large roller, covers and end plates they stick out a few inches. Add both sides and that could amount to six inches. Maybe we all should take out our tape measure and include the awning covers but not the mirrors.

I think it has to do with the width of your drive tires and box. If you do not overhang the yellow and white line, your legal. When the industry went from 96" to 102"W.

They knew it would be legal in all states!

There are some rural roads, I would not take anything wider that a Jeep! LOL

Wayne that is a good article.

Gerard, Just because you can doesn't mean you should applies in this case. This summer I watched some people trying to get around on park roads at The Great Smokey Mountains National Park. The lanes are narrow and there are big rock out cropping's that can snag the side of your coach. The lanes were so narrow that they were half way in the other lane. As you can imagine this created a real safety problem. I thought the roads were narrow driving my CR-V.

I have never heard of anyone getting sited for being to wide but if you drive on to narrow of road and have a incident I bet they pile on.

Bill

Wayne the max width does not include safety items such as mirrors. What they can get on some coaches on it is the awnings. With the large roller, covers and end plates they stick out a few inches. Add both sides and that could amount to six inches. Maybe we all should take out our tape measure and include the awning covers but not the mirrors.

Yep, I know the width does not include the mirrors but one should know, especially watchful at those toll booths. I've been through a few that I had to maneuver the mirrors around side to side.

Yep, I know the width does not include the mirrors but one should know, especially watchful at those toll booths. I've been through a few that I had to maneuver the mirrors around side to side.

I try to watch and see which one the trucks are using, some are marked for wide load. If they are open. <_<

Bill

Legal width for State Hwys. as per the revised law of 1976 is 102", excluding does items needed for safety!

There are States that has legal limits of less than 102" away from the State Highway and most of them (with the exception of CA & AZ) are east off the Mississippi!

I would never attempt the PRs in the Great Smokey's, anymore than "The tail off the Dragon", pure insanity!

Carl

I always use the truck lane Bill.

Ray, Think Sarnia crossing. I really had to maneuver the mirrors around some steel pillars.

Where is that crossing? I crossed at Maine 201 this summer and it wasn't to bad. I have ben through my share of tight toll booths. I know the attendants are glad there is some protection but judging from how scared some of the columns are They still get little wakeup calls from people scraping the post regularly.

Carl, you would be surprised at how many do try and tour without a toad.

Bill

Years ago. Coaches coming into Canada had to be 101 inches wide so the manufactures removed the awnings and placed them inside. Once across the border the dealers would put them on.

No they have stopped that foolishness but there are some tight border crossings - on both sides.

The maximum width at road surface in USA for not needing a oversize vehicle permit is 102 inches ( 8 foot 6 inches ). Above the roadway, it is higher than that, at least in Kansas it is 108 inches ( 9 feet ), so in Kansas at least you can have permanent items like mirrors, awnings, side lights coming out up to 6 inches and be OK and legally not need an oversize vehicle permit. In Kansas over 9 feet wide above the roadway, you need a oversize vehicle permit unless its an vehicle used for agriculture.

So far as border crossings go,look out for the Mexico into USA border crossing at Tecate, Mexico. Don't let the soldiers directing vehicles send you down the Auto lanes, insist they send you down the truck lane, motor coaches don't fit going down the non-truck lanes as there is a sharp 90 degree turn in the car lanes you can't see until it's too late.

RAS

Manhattan, Kansas USA

2008 Itasca Cambria 29H

I'll put it in simple words. 102" + all safety devices, that includes side mirrors! Awnings, don't stick out as far as mirrors, unless you have European mirrors and those rigs have the awning on roof!

Bill. I agree and have done the Smokey PR in a 1973 Landau 26' and 96" W. My wife was driving and I was on my knees praying! I do remember consuming a lot of Scotch for an early HH! :wacko::D

Carl

I'll put it in simple words. 102" + all safety devices, that includes side mirrors! Awnings, don't stick out as far as mirrors, unless you have European mirrors and those rigs have the awning on roof!

Bill. I agree and have done the Smokey PR in a 1973 Landau 26' and 96" W. My wife was driving and I was on my knees praying! I do remember consuming a lot of Scotch for an early HH! :wacko::D

Carl

HAHAH, we did this last year, parked the coach in Pigeon Forge, ran the jeep up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway.

My thanks to everyone that responded. There appears to be a good understanding that 8 1/2 feet (102 inches) is the legal width, but not a good understand as to how slide covers and awnings are allowed to exceed that limit. Further research for my home state found this provision extracted from among the Oregon statutes,

Chapter 818 — Vehicle Limits

2013 EDITION

VEHICLE LIMITS

OREGON VEHICLE CODE

818.080 Maximum size limits. This section establishes maximum size limits for purposes of ORS 818.090. Except where an exemption under ORS 818.100 specifically provides otherwise, any vehicle or load thereon that exceeds a maximum allowable size as determined by any of the following tables exceeds the maximum size limits for purposes of ORS 818.090:

(1) A vehicle or combination of vehicles, as appropriate, exceeds the maximum allowable size if a dimension of the vehicle, combination of vehicles or load thereon is beyond an applicable maximum size allowable on the following table:

TABLE I

Dimension Limit applicable to: Maximum

limited: allowable

size, in

feet, for

dimension

limited:

(1) Total

outside

width................................ Any vehicle................................. 8 ½

818.100 Exemptions from size limitations. This section establishes exemptions from the maximum size limitations under ORS 818.080 and 818.090. The exemptions under this section are in addition to any exemptions under ORS 801.026. Operation in accordance with one of the exemptions described is not subject to ORS 818.090. Exemptions are partial or complete as described in the following:

(15) A recreational vehicle may exceed the maximum width established under ORS 818.080 if the excess width is attributable to an appurtenance that does not extend beyond the body of the vehicle by more than four inches, or if a passenger-side awning, by more than six inches. As used in this subsection, “appurtenance” means an appendage that is installed by a factory or a vehicle dealer and is intended as an integral part of the recreational vehicle. “Appurtenance” does not include an item temporarily affixed or attached to the exterior of a vehicle for the purpose of transporting the item from one location to another. “Appurtenance” does not include an item that obstructs the driver’s rearward vision.

The entire vehicle code can be found at

https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/lawsstatutes/2013ors818.html

Gerard

Agree...I think we have covered all the above! OR is in accordance with the Federal 1976 change in width from 96" to 102"!

Bill,

The point is for appurtenances, such as, slide toppers and awnings, the legal width for these devices is 102", plus 4" for appurtenances on the left and another 6" for appurtenances on the right, for a total of 112". That is the case in Oregon, according to Oregon law, as I read it. Other states might have similar provisions. Most references, such as by the Automobile Association of America, on vehicle width and much of the discussion on this thread focused on just 102".

As I stated when I started this thread, I am considering buying a new motorhome. I do not want to buy a new motorhome with the knowledge that it violates my home state's width restrictions because the slide toppers or awning put the vehicle width beyond 102". For the reasons stated in the previous paragraph, the new motorhome will not violate my state's width restriction.

The point for anyone reading this thread is as follows: Should you ever find yourself accused of violating a state's width restrictions because you motorhome is wider than 102", do not be too quick to plead guilty. Read the law for yourself.

Gerard

Bill.

I do agree with your assessment! It was an interesting post, in the beginning but now, we have run that dog to the ground! <_<:rolleyes: