bthomforde

Logging in

I have to enter my login info every 2 or 3 times i visit this forum, sometimes its fine for a few days. Am I doing something wrong that it doesn't keep me logged in? I do have cookies enabled.

I do use satellite and an air card. Is it because my IP changes?

Thanks.

Brian

Guest Wayne77590

Brian,

Just a thought, so I'm thinking it is your ISP, esepcially using an air card. Depending on their time limit, inactivity with the browser will cause your ISP to drop you thinking your are idle and not there. I don't know what email client you have, I use Thunderbird and have it set to poll the network every 3 minutes for new email. I also have a program called Sam Spade that will set up a "stay alive" session to keep me from being dropped. Those are the only things I can think of off the top of my head this morning.

Good luck.

Brian,

I am logged on until I don't check in for several days and then I'll have to log on again. I haven't probed exactly what that time period is but it is on the order of days. If you aren't on the FMCA web site for an extended period, you will be logged off. I use a T-Mobile air card or Wi-Fi for my access so don't think it is switching back and forth from one form of access to another. My browser is Firefox and I use no special means to maintain a connection when I am on line.

We are always logged in once we go to the FMCA website and never have to sign in. Even being off-line for extended periods. Not that I am much of a computer person but does that not depend totally on your own personal laptop/browser?

I am running about 60% "logged in" when I click on the Forum on my "Favorites" menu.

The remainder of the time, when I click "log-in, it instantly recognizes me-- no user name or password needed.

I then just click on "Forum" and generally on "View New Posts."

Brett Wolfe

Guest Wayne77590

There are so many variable associated with each individual's computer settings, ISP, Forum access, etc., that it would be a task to try and address every thing. You can see by the reply's that others are different from what you are encountering. Yes, there has to be an answer to your questions. There should be a few Network Guru's on here, or in you area, that can help you in troubleshooting. Not having your specific setup in front of me makes it almost impossible to troubleshoot.

Let me add that when I'm here at the Stick House I operate off of two computers. A MAC, and a laptop. The laptop, when used here and on the road, remembers passwords, and will automatically connect me to those web sites that I want to be automatically connected to. Never my bank account. I type that password in each time. The MAC is set up to clear certain items when I log off. Each time I come on to the FMCA web site I have to put in my UID (User ID) and the password will populate itself.

Now, when I am on the road using the laptop and my USB Wireless card, I can get bumped off the Internet. It usually happens when I have not been active and my laptop goes into sleep mode. I do have it set for a short period of time. When I wake it up I have to reconnect to the internet and therefore reconnect to my web sites.

So you see, things can be different. I really think you need to talk to your satellite service people and see if they can give you an explanation. Remember that when you talk to them, it is the first person out of the box and they may not be as bright as you. Call again and get someone else until you get someone that knows there business.

Good luck.