bragan33

Adapting New/modified Rims & Tires To 1973 Revcon 23' Motorhome

The Revcon has 10-16.5 8ply front and 12-16.5 rear tires. After much research I find that the quality 16.5 tire has gone the way of the dinosaur.

I have come to the conclusion that a possible way is to modify the rims to a 19.5 steel radial commercial tire,all the way around.Raising the rear end some might be necessary, other than that the 19.5 tires should be good all the way round (goal of one tire size the aim).

I would appreciate any and all comments or ideas relative to my plan!

Thank you

Brad

Brad

Welcome to the forum.

You can find 19.5 rims but an easier and maybe cheaper change would be to regular 16 in rims from a newer doaner truck. Do you have the duels or tandem configuration?

Bill

Reply to Wildebill 308

Single tires all the way around (original) sizes in topic.

I have availability to modify, as 16.5's have gone the way of the dinosaur.

Is this something you have done?

bragan,

Welcome.

Did you check out the link that Brett gave you? If not, then please do so, they can answer your questions far better than we can!

I can barely remember the Revcon and have had Class A's for 40+ years!

Bill may remember the size of rims and tires in the 70's, I don't!

Carl

I had a 1978 Executive that had 171/2 rims and changed to 16 in rims. Yes 16 1/2 can still be found but cost way to much.

I bet you have Chevy rims, call your local junk yards, excuse me (recycling yard) and find some that will work. I would bet something off a 3500 truck would work. Take a rim with you to match the hole pattern. It should be easy enough to find a tier that matches the rolling diameter of the originals. I would look for at least load range "E"

Bill

OK, have done a little research. The rims you have is GMC. The 73' Revcon was built as a front wheel drive, and the platform was the Oldsmobile Toronado, with the 455 engine.

The original tires where replaced by Radial Tires and then Radial Steel Belted. As long as the width and the height is the same any brand will do. Don't know for sure, but expect that the tire size on Revcon is the same as GMC from that era. Mr. Hall that came out with the Revcon, was the Stepson of the founder of GMC and worked as a Engineer for 20 years for GMC, before Revcon!

19.5" tires will not work as you would have to re-engineer the whole unit. You only mentioned tires, we have a tire section on Forum and you might find a post on Revcon with similar problem as yours.

Carl

For Wolfe 10

I appreciate your efforts,however,I have been unable to find anyone who has actually done this particular modification as yet,

any other thoughts?

Thank you, Brad

I don't get it! Tire Rack, Discount Tires, Tire King and Big 'O Tire, all carry the 16.5 tires!!! Is he talking about RIM's? <_<<_<:P

To Wolfe&Manholt

I am certain that the tires sold by Firestone,BigO and others are from China currently the only manf. source. There is a long list of unsatisfied customers related to the Chinese product.

I have a service that will remove the centers from my original rims and weld them to new 19.5 rims or any other choice. What I need is a tire approx. 30ins. in height with a load capacity of 4800lbs. and properly centered rims.

If I go out in the boonies somewhere I would have more confidence in a common,readily available tire.

Why do you think you need such a hi capacity tire? The originals in your post were at best = to load range "E" or about 2790@80 psi. I found 16" tiers that will match or exceed that load and you can step up to load range "G" for a capacity of 3415@110 psi.

Replacing with 16" rims is going to be easier and a lot cheaper than having someone cut and weld rims.

You can buy 19.5 rims with out going through having someone cut and weld rims that may or may not be true. Do you have 6 or 10 lug rims?

By the way you need a 265/70R 19.5 load range "G" at 105 psi to cover your 4800lbs.

Bill

BF Goodrich, Goodyear, Michelins, Cooper. They're all made in China?! Did not know that.

Bill is right on! Have you measured clearance for 19.5 tires? Suspension? Will it affect the shifting points of tranny? You'll have to adjust speedometer!

Don't forget that the Travco was nicknamed the "Ferrari" of Motor Homes. Clocked at 98mph at GMC test track! That was on original equipment...I

foresee you spending a wad of money! For what?.

My 2 cents worth!

Manholt,

A wad of cash is why I am doing this, could not agree more.

The hubs on vehicle are 5lug on 4.75 centers,can not find any w/ rims to fit. I believe the hubs are a BUDD product and are so marked.

The last thing I want to do is mess with vehicles geometry.

For what; I hope to bring this vehicle into the 20th. Century and make my life a little easier and safer.

bragman33,

Were you able to talk with Marty Moore (see post above)-- he has been working on Revcons for decades? Can't imagine he has not addressed this exact issue.

To; Bill Wolfe10

I have contacted him, a few days ago,he to told me use tires like the ones on the vehicle (original). I did some looking and found out about the China issue.

At his suggestion, I called some Firestone Dealers. A truck tire dealer in Santa Rosa told me that since they were foreign owned they carried these tires.He also told me he did not push the tires,on quality issues.

The overkill issue w/ tires is not settled yet, just a suggestion on the part of my friends and not carved in stone yet.

I also called him this morning and spoke w/ an employee who told me that Marty's wife had died. Marty is currently dealing w/ the aftermath.

I will call again tomorrow.

Brad

To; Wolfe

I called Marty's business. An associate told me that Marty was in house taking calls. We discussed options and ended the discussion by telling me that he would check with a friend with matching tires for the ones currently on my motorhome.

We essentially got nowhere. From my perspective he seems a bit contentious and very sensitive to questions.I'm sure that may be because of his current life situation.In any event I have decided to pursue an engineering technician thru one or more tire companies.

Thank you as your help is appreciated!

Brad