Sign in to follow this  
adrainey

Shore Power EMS Requirements

I just bought a 2006 Fleetwood Expedition 34h diesel. It comes with both the 50 amp and 30 amp shore power cords.

When I plug in the 30 amp cord to a drop cord from my home, it doesn't work. Everything works with the generator, but none of the plug outlets etc work. Is there a necessary minimum amperage before the EMS will recognize the connection and supply power to the coach? ? ?

Welcome to the forum. Have you tried to (using adapters) connect the drop cord to your 50 amp power cord?

Try that and let me know if you get a reading on your EMS. What amp are you providing through the drop cord ?

Bill

adrainey, Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

I just bought a 2006 Fleetwood Expedition 34h diesel. It comes with both the 50 amp and 30 amp shore power cords. when I plug in the 30 amp cord to a drop cord from my home, it doesn't work. Everything works with the generator, but none of the plug outlets etc work. Is there a necessary minimum amperage before the ems will recognize the connection and supply power to the coach? ?

Sounds like the 30 amp shore power plug at the house could be wired wrong,and Have you used the 30 amp pigtail at a campground?

Check the connections pin to pin on the 30 amp pigtails with a multimeter set on resistance for good continuity.

Rich.

My EMS doesn't sense amps, it detects 220V or 110V. 30A electric supply for RV's is 110V with one hot lead, a neutral and a ground wire. 50A electric supply for RV's has two 110 V hot leads which are opposing phase. In our RV, the electric is never used as 220V, the two incoming leads are used as two separate 110V supplies. The EMS looks for two hot leads which are opposite phase and this indicates 50A service. If the two hot leads are the same phase (ie. 110V) indicates 30A service and it limits usage to keep it under 30A. If the supply is 20A then there is a button to push to select that supply limitation as a 20A looks exactly the same (both 110V) as a 30A to the EMS. Again, our EMS has no way to detect amps, only the voltage of the hot leads. If the leads are same phase it sees 30A. If it sees opposite phase, 50A.

30A adapters supply electric to both 50A legs but both legs are receiving electric that is in phase, not opposite phase. That is why the EMS looks for the 220V opposite phase electric and interprets the supply as 50A if opposite phase and 30A if same phase. We have stayed in RV parks where the outlets were 50A but the supply was from a single wire (split at the outlet) and thus both sides of the 50A outlet were same phase. The EMS detected this and would limit our usage to 30A because the supply wasn't 220V.

If your coach works properly with a 50A supply but the 30A cord isn't working, take a test meter and check the 30A cord and the drop from the house. Check also to be sure that the drop from the house is wired properly for an RV. Here is a good source of information on proper wiring for RV's.

I guess my next question, is where is the control box showing the amperage output? I found the circuit breakers, fuses, and the main inverter etc where the shore power lines start. My book sez there is a panel as you mentioned where I can select tne 20 amp circuit? Cant find any. Again, Fleetwood, Expedition diesel, 34h Thanks

adrainey,

I guess my next question, is where is the control box showing the amperage output? I found the circuit breakers, fuses, and the main inverter etc where the shore power lines start. My book sez there is a panel as you mentioned where I can select tne 20 amp circuit? Cant find any. Again, Fleetwood, Expedition diesel.

34h Thanks

The panel / switch where you select the shore current is part of the Charger / Inverter control panel.

One selects from 10, 15, 20, 30 and 50 amps of shore power entering the coach.

Could you post the make and model of the charger / inverter installed in you coach and the model of the EMS system.

Note, Have you checked the cable wiring for the 30 amp cable you are trying to use to power the coach or the pigtail if you are using one.

By chance did the circuit breaker in the house trip or do you know there is power at the plug you are connecting to ?

Rich.

You can select the current you want your inverter to supply from the coach batteries, but you likely have 2-120 volt circuits going to the microwave, kitchen and entertainment equipment.

In our Expedition, the panel is above the windshield on the passenger side where the jacks, power on/off, water heater, and inverter controls are located.

I just bought a 2006 Fleetwood Expedition 34h diesel. It comes with both the 50 amp and 30 amp shore power cords.

When I plug in the 30 amp cord to a drop cord from my home, it doesn't work. Everything works with the generator, but none of the plug outlets etc work. Is there a necessary minimum amperage before the EMS will recognize the connection and supply power to the coach? ? ?

Go do what I suggested and tell me if it shows up on your EMS.

Bill