adrainey

Water Heater-- How Do I Turn It On?

Been motorhoming for 15 years with an old Southwind. Now I'm a newbie with my 2005 Fleetwood Expedition diesel 34h and having trouble finding stuff and how it works.

The manuals all only partially tell me things and refer to another manual which doesn't exist or doesn't have the info. For now, I have the propane turned on.

Does the Hot water heater automatically start working. I see no reference to a switch to turn it on? I(like the old days). The Manuals only reference is to turn on the hot water and if it runs the tank is full ? ? Do I need to do any thing more? ? ?

Thanks

adrainey,

When you turn on the hot water and you get good flow, then the water heater is filled to the proper level.
Manually open the pressure relief valve to test that it does open and then seals again when released.
Then turn on the water heater to check that it starts, heats the water and then turns off when water is hot.
Should it cycle around 3 times and not start or stay lite, then one needs to do some trouble shooting.

Rich.

Being basically stupid about this unit...where would the relief valve be? I know where the water fill is and several valves there for fill and close? I see nothing for the hot water heater. My main problem is I do not know where to turn ON :wacko: the water heater ? ? ?

No need to open the relief valve (it is accessed through the outside door to the water heater).

It really depends on what type (what fuels) you have.

If you have an electrical element, you may just have a breaker on the main 120 VAC breaker panel. But if propane, there will be a switch somewhere to turn in on/off. If not listed in your book, call your coach maker for its location.

I would check for a panel that has most of your electronic switches and readouts. HVAC, water pump, slides switches are on mine along with tank levels and switches for 12 or 120 volt hot water. I leave them off until I need them and turn them both on at same time for quick hot water. :lol: Then I turn them back off when done.

Google Fleetwood, click on Expedition (never mind that it's a 2016), scroll all the way to bottom of page and click on manual.

Then click on type of coach...Expedition and all the years show up, click on 2005 and the manual will down load for you! :)

Carl

Ours is turned on with a switch on the panel that displays liquid levels, propane, etc. it is next to the Xantrex display in a compartment above the entrance steps covered by what looks like a cabinet door.

Just a thought. I have a main switch in the panel with the water pump and battery switches. I also have a switch by both sinks. First find the switch over the door on the main panel and make shure it is on. Try turning on the switch by the sink in the kitchen. Go out side and see if you can hear the igniter spark, it will spark for a while then stop if it doesn't ignite. If it doesn't ignite cycle the main switch off and on and it should try to light. Make shure your propane is on and the stove lights.Bill

You might have blown a fuse! Is the unit an Attwood or another brand? Some brands use a 9 volt battery. Attwood uses 12 volt with a fuse.

Whatever brand it is, get a schematic or talk to a tech.

Carl