C-783533

Winter Route Advice

Question

I am looking for route advice for a trip in December from Houston to Seattle and back after New Year's. As much as possible, I would like to avoid the snow and ice areas (Siskiyou?). I realize it can't be completely avoided. I will be able to take whatever time is necessary so I can live with some delays. I'm thinking I-10 to California then up I-5 to near Oregon, then hit 101 until north of the Grant's Pass area and back to I-5. Good plan? Bad plan? I've been up that way in the past but always in summer so I'm not sure what to expect this time of year.

Thanks.

12 answers to this question

Well I think you can go that way. I would keep a eye on the weather reports as you get closer. I think 5 should be OK even if they have had some bad weather they should have it cleared out quickly. 5 is a major truck route.

101 would be interesting but I haven't driven it in the winter or past Long Beach WA.

Bill

George, this is what we do every year going south mid December and north mid March. We go south and stop for the night at 7 Feathers in OR I-5 exit 99 and watch the TV weather report in the morning. We then check this link with live cams so we know if it's clear.

http://users.cot.net/~n6mrx/ares/Siskiyou%20County%20Cams1.htm

If not we would stay another day. There was only one year that we had to stay a extra day in December 2012.

On the way back we stop at a KOA in Sacramento and do the same thing on the way back. Never had to spend a extra day on the way back.

Be aware of I-5 in Southern California, in the area south of Bakersfield, called "The Grapevine". Used to be one could chain up to traverse it, for several years, if it gets bad, it is closed to all traffic by CHP. Have taken I-5 more times than I can remember, but not in a motor home. Would question Rte. 101 in winter in motor home. Safe travels and hope the wind is at your back.

Doc Mike

Since you live in Houston and we can have anywhere from 25 to 80+ degrees in December! I-10 is not a "walk in the park" either, I have had plenty of snow, sleet and ice in Dec. & Jan., in TX, NM & AZ! <_<

I would definitely take Ray's advice, after all, he lives in the Puget Sound area! :)

The only thing I would do differently, is take Hwy. 95 from Blythe, CA. to Needles and take I-40 to Barstow and then Hwy. 58 to Bakersfield! Then I-5N.

Carl

Some good route recommendations.

We just finished a trip from Houston to Bakersfield/Santa Maria and back. I-10 west through Phoenix then headed north to catch 40 into Barstow and 58 west through Tehachapi. We're very familiar with the southern half of California as we lived down there for most of our lives and try to avoid the grapevine on I-5 like the plague. It is a true interstate but the truck lanes are so badly potholed and cracked that it's never a fun experience for us. We used to use the grapevine solution when time was an issue but now, since retired, we can a afford a few more hours to avoid messed up roads. Oh, btw...fill up your fuel tanks before leaving Arizona!

Both I-5 between Castaic and highway 58 can be closed at times due to weather. Especially during the winter. During this particular trip (our route was I-40 back to Texas via 58 east from Bakersfield) highway 58 was closed due to significant mudslides. We just waited it out the closure in Bakersfield until the highway was reopened. I wouldn't recommend I-40 in the winter.....elevations get as high as 7300' and the snow and wind in the Texas Panhandle can get pretty interesting!

I think in December/January your best bet north of Sacramento is going to be I-5 into Oregon. One year we took the 101 north trip outside of Sacramento and got caught in a bit of snow as we neared the mountains. It was a pretty drive but a bit nerve racking.

Have fun on your trip!

Blake

Hello George,

I frequently make the trip back and forth from the Portland, OR area to the LA area and sometimes east from there on I-10. In the winter, I usually take U.S. 101 north of LA all the way to Reedsport, OR and then east on Oregon 38 to I-5. I find U.S. 101 a more pleasant drive and, for the most part, I do not have to be concerned about snow or subfreezing temperatures. U.S. 101 will take you west of the Siskiyou Mountains and the Pacific Coast Range. Once into Oregon, if you want to head east to I-5, take Oregon 38. It will take you east to I-5 without the high elevations and "carry chains or other traction devices" signs encountered along other east/west highways crossing the coastal range. I carry chains as Oregon requires, but try to maintain my record of never using them on my motorhome and, further, I avoid the mountain passes where Oregon requires that you carry them in the winter. While snow is uncommon in the Willamette River Valley, if forecasted, continue north on U.S. 101.

Winters are mild along the California and Oregon coasts. You are likely to find state park campgrounds to be open and utilities available. Many of these parks are on the Pacific Ocean and attractive.

The stretch of U.S. 101 north from San Francisco to Eureka, CA moves inland. I usually try to plan the trip so nights are near the Pacific Ocean and the mild camping conditions it offers.

Do not take U.S. 199 out of Crescent City, CA. It goes northeast over the mountains on a narrow winding road.

CA 1 is scenic, but slow.

Have a safe trip,

Gerard

Curious if anyone does use chains on their coach and, if so, are you using dual tire chains? Not sure I want to ever put them on, but I frequently find myself in areas that do require you to have chains available. Still trying to figure out how to handle that.

Dual chains are very heavy and more difficult to install. I carried a set when trucking, but almost never put them on. When the authorities relaxed things and allowed singles on outside tires after conditions got better, it was time to go. High quality cable chains are OK in most jurisdictions. They are somewhat easier to install. Mind you/ I did say somewhat.

Never used them on motorhomes though. They would have to be snugly installed to avoid damage and that would be easier with cables.

I have high quality cables and dual wheels. I have been advised to install the cables by running the inner wheel up on a board to raise the outer wheels clear of the ground. My motorhome is on a Ford E-450 chassis. Putting the cables on with the wheel off the ground looks doable. Otherwise, installing the cables which I have looks impossible. My motorhome was not designed for operation in subfreezing temperatures. Installing cables is only one of several challenges I could face if I operate under subfreezing temperatures..

Gerard