Sign in to follow this  
gv11cc

Used motorhome extended warranties

Hi. I'm new to the FMCA family, today as a matter a fact. Hi, all. On to the subject ...

We recently purchased a 1996 allegro Bus,39',from a private party, one-owner coach. Chuck took unleivable care and maintance of the rig: 80K miles, 300 Cummins, all the service records and repairs back to '96. I have been checking the Internet, etc. for extended warranties, and have found only 2 that will right a coach that old. One is Titen they want an inspection at a cost of around $300 to $400 with no gaurantee and at a cost of around $3,800 for a 2 yr 24 k warranty. That would be basicly bumber to bumper on moving parts.

The other company is Agape auto warranties of Chandler, AZ. Good rating with BBB A-, for 2yr 24Mo at around $2,200 with $100 deductable and 30-day waiting, period no inspection. I have received about 1 dozen emails from the Titen people -- a little pressure, and no pressure from Mike at Agape.

My question is has anyone dealt with either of these companies? I'm not a real fan of extended warranties, but a coach that is 13 years old does concern me. One AC unit, engine, transmission, etc. will run me way more.

Thanks.

Greg and Diana

Everett, Wash.

Greg and Diana,

Welcome to FMCA!

I have no experience with either company.

I would be cautious about a no inspection warranty, look for exclusions or exclusion periods within such a contract. I would consider the inspection process to be an advantage for you because it establishes their assessment of the condition of the coach which should reduce any hedging on a claim. Also, if they refuse you because of the inspection they should be able to tell you what areas they were concerned with. That could give you a chance to fix some problems before they become serious or cause an emergency condition or repair.

Be aware that some shops will refuse to work with some warranty companies. You may find yourself in a situation where you have to pay for the repair up front to later be reimbursed by the warranty company. In such a case, be sure you and preferably the repair shop discuss the repair with the warranty company before any work is done. You could check with local RV, chassis and Cummins shops to find out if they have experience with either company and how they would feel about working with those companies.

Examine any contract for conditions such as extreme maintenance schedules. We had an extended warranty contract that specified oil changes more frequently than Cummins recommendations. You have to abide by their conditions to keep your contract in effect and you have to keep paperwork to prove your compliance.