JustCruzzin

RV Rescued From Osage River

I chock our wheels whenever we hook up at a campground. I also chock the wheels when we park on steep slopes. It's old school. FMCA used to have a code of conduct. One of the items in the list was that you were to chock the wheels when you parked. It would have saved these folks a whole lot of misery. Perhaps FMCA should reinstate that among the tips from other motor home owners in the basics listed under "Advice for motorhomers, from motorhomers."

My chocks are stored in the compartment with the shore power cable. I put them out when we park and remove them when I disconnect the shore power. I saw an individual rip the shore power cable out of the reel at a rally one time. He just wanted to reposition the coach and pulled forward without unhooking. Chocks would have prevented that misery also.

:lol: Sure glad it didn't "threaten any wildlife"! WOW. That's not something you see every day. :rolleyes::o

Tom. I agree! We used to have a lot of good rules of the road! Now, you got to assume that everyone has good sense...this dude, proved them wrong! <_<

Carl

Always use wheel chocks! I have seen to many spring brake chambers with broken springs over the years that will not hold. Not sure what happened here but what a shame.

J. Hi!

Story did not say how or why, but it rolled down a 200' easement. Not sure if I would just walk away, or claim it. If there is any chance

of rolling one way or the other, put something in front of wheel and behind drive wheels! I use a 2' and a 4', 2"x12".

Hi Insurance!

Carl

HI Carl!

I keep two large hardened rubber wheel chocks and my old Rand McNally GPS (from another post) :) . Between the three our coach isn't going anywhere.

I had a concern of our dog accidentally stepping on the parking brake release, we barricade that area in with stuff just in case to keep him away from the controls, just a thought.

Our dog likes to sit in the driver's seat when we camp. Even though we are on the leveling jacks I always use a clothes pin under the parking brake knob to insure she does not accidentally release the parking brake. I got the idea on this forum and it has worked out so far.

Jack.

Since I put mine down, I had forgotten Lucky's habit of drive chair sitting and yesterday I cleaned all interior and exterior windows.

I can see clearly now that all the nose prints are gone! LOL.

I used to tie a bandana around my brake release. Your idea is a lot easier. I'm getting another dog, so I'll remember that!

Carl.

Jack, good idea with the clothes pin. I will try that.

I went a little further on that idea. I took a piece of 1" pvc pipe and cut it to the length of the parking brake shaft. I used a Dremel to cut a slot in the pvc from one end to the other. It snaps over the shaft and keeps anything from depressing the knob. I fear a closepin can be triggered to release if hit just right.

I"m also fortunate that my parking brake is on the left side of the steering column on the dash and not on the side like many are mounted. Little feet and fingers can release that rather easily.

Wayne.

Also a good idea. Mine is on right side of dash. Hard to get at for medium dog, easy for kids. I don't have kids!

Carl

Actually, with the parking brake on a DP, air pressure is required in order to release it. Therefore, if you have dumped the air system, releasing the parking brake will do nothing. You will have to start the engine and build up air pressure to a certain amount before the springs will release. Putting close pins or other devices under the parking brake switch is redundant.

Ron

Hi Ron, maybe yours works that way but when I "dump the air" I'm only dumping the air in the airbags not dumping the air tanks. The only way I can drain the pressure from the air tanks is to manually open a valve on the tank(s). Like I said, mine may be different than others.

Hi Jim.

Your coach and mine! Besides, the preventive measure is also good for when I'm fueling! Don't have a dog now, but the bandanna is still there for when I get adopted again!

Can you imagine total air loss?

Carl

Actually, you can dump the air in your tanks easily by just pumping your air brakes. With the engine off, the brakes will deplete the air fairly quickly. I always had to do this with my previous coach.

Ron

Ron.

Why would you want too?

Carl

Maybe to avoid what happened to the owner of the RV that started this thread! Many school bus drivers who drive diesel bus's do this whenever they leave the bus with the engine off.

I'm still thinking about and chuckling about how long would it take to sit and pump the brake to empty the tank. Then when you leave you have to wait to air up the tanks then the airbags. I've seen people do all sorts of things that make me grin and some that make me grimace. My favorite is after the air brake is set they level the coach lifting the rear wheels off the ground.

To each their own. Goodnight Mrs Calabash.