hollyahill

Thor Super C Chateau

Looking at purchasing a new 2015 Chateau Super C 35'.. Ford 550 6.7L V8 diesel. We're moving from a 34' Bounder Class A to the Super C thinking the overall smaller size will be easier to manage. Does anyone have feedback or thoughts on the Chateau?

Hi and welcome.

Is your Bounder a DP or Gas? What is your wheel cut, 50 or 55 degrees?

The Super C is 36' 2", that is not a smaller size. You just sit closer to the ground when driving. I'm a bit confused.

Carl

Our Bounder is gas...2006 33R, not sure of the wheel cut. It's the height of the Bounder rather than the length that we're concerned with. We like the idea of less steps and being lower to the ground. With bad knees, the steep steps of the Bounder are getting more difficult to up and down. Haven't read great reviews on the Super C so may go back and look at more A class coaches.

Hollyahill.

I can relate to "bad knees"! I'm 6' 8" and it was a good model, until I rounded 60, 12 years ago! LOL. :D

Tiffin has a lower class A and the Palazzo is also lower....there are a bunch of class C and B out there. You will loss a lot of storage space! :(

However, they are easier to access.

I put up with what I have, for several reason. I can stand up, plenty of storage inside and out, ride and I like it! :wub:

Carl

Cannot speak to the Thor line up and their quality, I would imagine it would be equal to Fleetwood which you have experience with. I am very familiar with the Ford F550 and the 6.7L Diesel. You should expect to see around 5-8 mpg and they are not a bad engine, once they hit 100,000 miles they become a bit of a problem chasing sensor failures. The hardest part might be finding a Ford dealer close to home that can service the chassis. Ford Diesels often require dealer intervention for software updates...several per year for odd running problems and product improvements that pop up from time to time, a dealer will usually keep you up to date if you are using them for service.

I have a customer that runs this chassis, several in fact, and the MPG he gets is disappointing, hauling storage sheds he gets the same MPG as the V10 and his fleet is empty 50% of the time and his maintenance costs are triple the V10, however this Diesel engine does produce more HP and Torque over the V10, I guess its a trade off.

Honestly we looked at this same unit last year and I could not sway my wife into another C after the structural failures we had with our last one (not a Thor).

Definitely do your homework on the Thor super C. We purchased a 2015 Thor super c chateau 35' with complete slide behind the drivers side in 10/14 from MSRV in Alvarado , TX. It was actually hooked up during "make ready" and having being that we have owned another forest river forester 29' and a cardinal 3 slide since 1999 have had a lot of experience on the road and know our RVS......or so we thought.

There were issues when we purchased it but was told... no problem call us and well get you right in ..... that would be 3 months later. Refrigerator is now only electric..... means no boon docking and you will have to run the generator the entire time on the road from place to place as the charge is only 4 hrs on the battery..... door was dented when we bought it and finally got it replaced only to redent it again as when the slide is in as when you open the bathroom door the knob will dent the refrigerator.

The refrigerator fell out of its surroundings 3x requiring me to sit on a box with my back to the fridge and my knees to the bathroom door 2 hrs to NY( msrv had already worked and replaced the surrounding damaged wood 2x before) and luckily camping world of Syracuse NY placed side mounts and that has worked. (it came with only 2 screws and 2 plates anchoring it into the frame) Fridge is awesome with its large size and ice maker but have to purchase the rods from Walmart to keep the food from flying out when you open the door.

The attic fans both burned out as the battery under the steps was drilled into causing battery acid to leak on our driveway. we had to replace both batteries as they were not working anyhow. The first turn out of the dealership caused us to hit a bump therefore caused the hydraulic line to break and so back to the shop to get it fixed due to placing the hydraulic hose too close to the frame.... found out later... oh yea even a railroad crossing will do that. The sensors were all backwards on the tanks .Awning has been in 2x due to coming out of the brackets.

Windows in front were duct taped for a year as they have now gone with the rimless windows which will open going down the road and spent lots of $ buying new cranks to find out in fact ( recall finally) that the windows were too heavy.. they replaced them finally and its still not working and requiring tape/velcro now to fix and Thor also noted someone else is complaining about the same issue. They actually wanted us to VIDEO the issues..... really ??????They need to do the partial windows so its not so heavy especially in high winds. The window treatments have been replaced at least 3-4 times in the back window as well as issues with all other window. Sinks were all plugged up. Radio for outside/inside was never wired and 3 tvs may/may not work. There is now a n ew recall for the heater outside panel as the vents were made going inside vs outside and the water/rain is short circuiting the panel.

Step to enter has shortened out.... drawers have all needed to be fixed . Anytime we stopped there were several "screw and bolt all on the floor" from wherever they came loose. Rv was just at MSRV x 7 wks as the slide from production was never placed in correctly requiring new motors and complete rehaul and even now its iffy when it opens and closes. The hydraulic lifts sometimes get stuck and still have to carry 8 pieces of wood to actually achieve "level" as the back of the RV is jacked up and the lifts are only 13" clearance.

The FORD part is great.... we pull a Jeep Trail Hawk 2015 ( alas a new issue as of sept 2015 ****** service bulletin was only made available 3/17/16 and only found out through FB) and w there needs to be a harness added to the tow car,....... but we , JEEP, don't have parts...... but don't tow now till we get them!!!!!!!!! Its called a accessory kit to enhance flat towing performance. We are getting at least 9.5mi/gallon with tow car or motorcycle trailer with generator and ac running. We do fit into any space we want to go. At last..... having said all of this we have to drive 3.5 hrs each way for at least a dozen service calls and still do not have a worry free RV. I would go back to my simple no frills Forrester in a heartbeat.

Looking at purchasing a new 2015 Chateau Super C 35'.. Ford 550 6.7L V8 diesel. We're moving from a 34' Bounder Class A to the Super C thinking the overall smaller size will be easier to manage. Does anyone have feedback or thoughts on the Chateau?

Welcome to the forum. Have you actually been in a Super C? Every one I have been in at the RV shows seemed like it was much higher than my coach.

Bill

What makes a class C a "super C"?

Length

Height,

GVWR,GCWR

HP

length of chassis nose

In my mind a Super C is on a Heavy/Medium Duty truck chassis i.e Freightliner, International, Hino, GM Kodiak, over 23,000 GVWR

I'm confused.

To answer you Carl.... was never an option that Thor allowed...plus living in Marble Malls TX the ride to the factory a dozen+ times would not have been doable as well as the issues occurred on the road....

Hubby is now on****** Rv.net****specifically Thor Super C and looking at countless of "buyers remorse" on the super class C and multitude of issues of which we have experienced several of them and hope to dodge the ones we have not had the misfortune to experience. It actually addresses every kind of RV that can be purchased wished we had known before we purchased so I'd suggest anyone in the buyer mode to check it out.

We purchased a Thor Chateau 26A. While not the "Super C", we have had similar problems. The first year of ownership, it was in for "Warranty Repairs" for 245 days! There is NO quality of construction in this RV. We also have had problems with the refrigerator, air conditioner, screws falling out, drawers that no longer stay shut, shower door handle that continues to break and comes off of the door track, storage areas leaking, no heat in the bathroom or dinette areas, water leaks--including the Fresh Water Tank that had to be replaced, 6 radios had to be replaced--took the Ford dealership to finally fix it, House battery, Awnings had to be replaced due to incorrect installation.
I could go on and on. :(

Two lessons I have learned:
Do not purchase any Thor product

Do not purchase any RV from Camping World--I say this because they sell Thor and I purchased mine from them. While they did "fix" most of the Warranty items, it took forever to do so. They "claim" it was because Thor was "slow to respond".

To answer you Carl.... was never an option that Thor allowed...plus living in Marble Malls TX the ride to the factory a dozen+ times would not have been doable as well as the issues occurred on the road....

Hubby is now on****** Rv.net****specifically Thor Super C and looking at countless of "buyers remorse" on the super class C and multitude of issues of which we have experienced several of them and hope to dodge the ones we have not had the misfortune to experience. It actually addresses every kind of RV that can be purchased wished we had known before we purchased so I'd suggest anyone in the buyer mode to check it out.

Did you make a request to take your coach to the factory? I had a serious issue with the factory missing some welds under the front end. The first guy at the factory I talked to said it was out of warranty, so I was out of luck. However, I kept after them and talked to another employee. After I very briefly explained the problem (part of the problem was that the dealer knew about it when he sold it to us, but did not mention it)...he said "you need to bring that coach here, so we can fix it." Which I did, dropped it off, picked it up fully repaired in two weeks. They even reimbursed me for 1,500 miles worth of diesel fuel.

FIVE. Was that on the 14' or previous?

Carl

Pamala. Do you and hubby golf? Have some good friends at Medowe Lakes and Horseshoe, I was there 6 weeks ago, stayed at Sunset point!

Carl

FIVE. Was that on the 14' or previous?

Carl

2009 Allegiance 40X...FYI, that dealer is no longer in business.

I have a Dynamax.  Have had very few problems.  If you want a Super C, you might want to check them out.

On 9/14/2015 at 2:01 PM, jleamont said:

Cannot speak to the Thor line up and their quality, I would imagine it would be equal to Fleetwood which you have experience with. I am very familiar with the Ford F550 and the 6.7L Diesel. You should expect to see around 5-8 mpg and they are not a bad engine, once they hit 100,000 miles they become a bit of a problem chasing sensor failures. The hardest part might be finding a Ford dealer close to home that can service the chassis. Ford Diesels often require dealer intervention for software updates...several per year for odd running problems and product improvements that pop up from time to time, a dealer will usually keep you up to date if you are using them for service.

I have a customer that runs this chassis, several in fact, and the MPG he gets is disappointing, hauling storage sheds he gets the same MPG as the V10 and his fleet is empty 50% of the time and his maintenance costs are triple the V10, however this Diesel engine does produce more HP and Torque over the V10, I guess its a trade off.

Honestly we looked at this same unit last year and I could not sway my wife into another C after the structural failures we had with our last one (not a Thor).

Not even equal to Fleetwood.  Ours has been broke entire 2 yrs of purchase.  Had factory " fix " slide 9/6-12 of this yr & now on 10/15/16 driving back to Indiana for same broken slide.  Would not recommend any Thor product.

On 9/11/2015 at 11:37 AM, hollyahill said:

We downsize from a 40 Ft American Eagle that we had for 15 years to a Thor Super C. The Eagle was nice and had plenty of room but I was getting stressed out driving it through congested traffic and we were starting to have many repair issues. We love the 2017 Thor Four Winds 35 SF. Had to get accustomed to less room and storage space and had to get rid of stuff that we had not used in years, just hauling around. The quality of the Thour is not as good as the Eagle but it has many up dated features the Eagle did not have. It is much easier to drive and the fuel mileage is much better at 9.5 per gallon. If I slowed down below 70 mph I am sure I could get 10mpg. We don’t regret the change. Hope you enjoy your Thor. 

On 3/20/2016 at 5:50 PM, pamelaharper07 said:

Definitely do your homework on the Thor super C. We purchased a 2015 Thor super c chateau 35' with complete slide behind the drivers side in 10/14 from MSRV in Alvarado , TX. It was actually hooked up during "make ready" and having being that we have owned another forest river forester 29' and a cardinal 3 slide since 1999 have had a lot of experience on the road and know our RVS......or so we thought.

There were issues when we purchased it but was told... no problem call us and well get you right in ..... that would be 3 months later. Refrigerator is now only electric..... means no boon docking and you will have to run the generator the entire time on the road from place to place as the charge is only 4 hrs on the battery..... door was dented when we bought it and finally got it replaced only to redent it again as when the slide is in as when you open the bathroom door the knob will dent the refrigerator.

The refrigerator fell out of its surroundings 3x requiring me to sit on a box with my back to the fridge and my knees to the bathroom door 2 hrs to NY( msrv had already worked and replaced the surrounding damaged wood 2x before) and luckily camping world of Syracuse NY placed side mounts and that has worked. (it came with only 2 screws and 2 plates anchoring it into the frame) Fridge is awesome with its large size and ice maker but have to purchase the rods from Walmart to keep the food from flying out when you open the door.

The attic fans both burned out as the battery under the steps was drilled into causing battery acid to leak on our driveway. we had to replace both batteries as they were not working anyhow. The first turn out of the dealership caused us to hit a bump therefore caused the hydraulic line to break and so back to the shop to get it fixed due to placing the hydraulic hose too close to the frame.... found out later... oh yea even a railroad crossing will do that. The sensors were all backwards on the tanks .Awning has been in 2x due to coming out of the brackets.

Windows in front were duct taped for a year as they have now gone with the rimless windows which will open going down the road and spent lots of $ buying new cranks to find out in fact ( recall finally) that the windows were too heavy.. they replaced them finally and its still not working and requiring tape/velcro now to fix and Thor also noted someone else is complaining about the same issue. They actually wanted us to VIDEO the issues..... really ??????They need to do the partial windows so its not so heavy especially in high winds. The window treatments have been replaced at least 3-4 times in the back window as well as issues with all other window. Sinks were all plugged up. Radio for outside/inside was never wired and 3 tvs may/may not work. There is now a n ew recall for the heater outside panel as the vents were made going inside vs outside and the water/rain is short circuiting the panel.

Step to enter has shortened out.... drawers have all needed to be fixed . Anytime we stopped there were several "screw and bolt all on the floor" from wherever they came loose. Rv was just at MSRV x 7 wks as the slide from production was never placed in correctly requiring new motors and complete rehaul and even now its iffy when it opens and closes. The hydraulic lifts sometimes get stuck and still have to carry 8 pieces of wood to actually achieve "level" as the back of the RV is jacked up and the lifts are only 13" clearance.

The FORD part is great.... we pull a Jeep Trail Hawk 2015 ( alas a new issue as of sept 2015 ****** service bulletin was only made available 3/17/16 and only found out through FB) and w there needs to be a harness added to the tow car,....... but we , JEEP, don't have parts...... but don't tow now till we get them!!!!!!!!! Its called a accessory kit to enhance flat towing performance. We are getting at least 9.5mi/gallon with tow car or motorcycle trailer with generator and ac running. We do fit into any space we want to go. At last..... having said all of this we have to drive 3.5 hrs each way for at least a dozen service calls and still do not have a worry free RV. I would go back to my simple no frills Forrester in a heartbeat.

Wow! You got a lemon. We have 2017 Thor 35 sf and the only trouble was a screw got loose that holds one of the slide motors and caused it to hang up. As far as running the refrigerator, your alternator will keep the batteries charged going down the road. Shouldn’t have to run the generator. Batteries should last a couple of days running the refrigerator through the inverter. Run the generator a couple of hours every other day to recharge the batteries. We love our Thor. 

We have a 2019 Thor Omni 37ft super C and have been really happy with it. Ride is smooth and quiet. The F550 diesel has been great and plenty of power on hills. Love the engine brake. Currently getting 9.5 to 11 mpg depending on wind. 

We have a 2019Thor Omni and really like it. Had a recall on the overhead bunk window that leaked and they fixed it and replaced headliner. It seems like all new RV’S have some problems regardless of brand. Just look at recalls on RV’S and you will see a lot of brands have them. It has great power and fuel mileage and smooth ride. 

Your right, Thor after 2016 is a good product...that's the year thy took over Entegra and started building a better brand of both!