cdfendley

Location Dash A/C Dryer: 2009 Damon Astoria

While my family and I were traveling recently, the AC compressor locked up and threw the main belt on the engine. The diesel mechanic said that most likely the dryer had broken down and gotten into the compressor- thus causing it to seize.

I had him simply replace the compressor and not hook the dash air back up so that I could get my family back home. I took it to my local auto repair shop as they have done AC work for my daily drivers.

However, they do not know where the dryer is, and said they were told they would have to cut into the floor to get to all of the lines. I obviously brought my coach back home as that seemed a bit extreme. My question is this- Does anyone know where the dryer on a 2009 Damon Astoria pusher is located and how do I go about cleaning the lines?

My local shop would be happy to do, they just lack the knowledge. Or do I have to take it to a motorhome repair shop out of town and pay their exorbitant repair rates??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cdfendley,

The dryer for the dash AC units on most Diesel pushers are located up front next to the evaporator.

Very unlikely any dryer parts got into the compressor. They are very tough mechanically and have no moving parts.

Compressors lock up generally do to loose of oil caused by a leak in the system.

The lines for the High and Low side of the system run along the frame rails and if your shop does not know the difference between the air and hydraulic lines. Things could get expensive very fast.

What part of the country do you call home? There is a good chance that one of the Forum members could give you a possible option or two.

Rich.

cdfendley.

There are a number of members from Texas and I'm sure one or two will have some good information for you!

We run the generator when the Dash AC dies and power up the Roof AC's. Much better then traveling in a hot coach !

Go through Texarkana on or way to A and M or on to San Antonio.

Rich.

CD,

You are right about living in North Central Texas and there not being RV Service. :( We live in Whitewright, TX. :D:D

I know it is far away but in Lewisville there is National Indoor Storage that has agreat service department, 469-277-1330.

Also in Denton there is Best Value RV Sales and Service great folks, 940-220-2878.

Hope one of these might be able to help.

Herman

CD.

Yes, you could do as Herman said, but he lives a lot closer than you do. My suggestion is go straight down Hwy. 271 to Tyler and there are 2 dealers there.

They are just south of I-20. My recommendation would be Tyler RV, have used them before.

If you call Thor Industries, they might have a schematic of the dryer lines on your chassis

Carl.

The receiver dryer should be on suction line after the evaporator and the filter should be pressure line before the expansion valve. You need to replace these as well as the expansion valve as there will be metal in the system after a compressor seize up. Then all of the lines and evaporator needs to be flushed before putting back together.

What confuse me is what part of the compressor seized up? Was it the outer bearing or the internal that seized up? The repair is different on what part goes out but since you have a new compressor you need to do whats noted above or risk another compressor failure.

I'm in So. Cal. and our dash AC was not working on our last 250+ mile jaunt. I'm in Oceanside CA and there is not a mobile repair anywhere in the area that will service the dash AC. We'll be taking our trip back to home with house AC running and maybe I can find a Freightliner place along the way that can look at it.

When does it all stop, repairs that is.

CD's problems and others that I have read about have made me reluctant to use the dash air. I use it, but very sparingly.

On a hot day we run the generator and at least one rooftop a/c to keep our cats comfortable. I turn both defroster fans on. They are mounted in the upper corners of the windshield and they do help when aimed at the driver's and DW's seat.

I brought new spare belts just in case.