Sign in to follow this  
dmastroluca

ScanGuage D Problem

I just installed a ScanGuage D, it it is not working as it should. I plugged it into the data port and it connects when I start the engine, but the only parameter it shows is voltage. No RPM, temps etc.. I was able to see a stored error code, so it is talking to the ECU. It also goes to sleep after 15 sec. According to the manual, when it goes to sleep after 10-15 sec, there is a communications problem with the ECU. If it is reading error codes, how is it having communication problems? Just wondering if anyone else had this problem on initial install?

Dan, Sure sounds like a communication problem, But have you used the setup screen and pressed more, more, more and get display changes?

Is this a new unit?

Problem Possible Cause Solutions

Connects and then goes to sleep after 10 to 15 seconds

Engine is not running ?

Start engine.

Loss of communication between the ScanGauge and vehicles ECU

Check cable and connections. Try using an alternate connector on the ScanGauge

Possible defective connection or wire at some point - intermittent power ?

Get Help

Online: www.ScanGauge.com/support www.facebook.com/ScanGauge

Toll Free: 1-888-433-5664

Rich.

Yes, it is a new unit. I will be calling tech support tomorrow. I just hope it isn't a problem in the wiring between the data port and the ECU. Any idea where the ECU is on a 2001 Monaco Diplomat? The chassis schematic shows only one data port, but I am wondering if there is another one in the back by the engine.

Dan,

Many of the coach chassis are setup with 2 access points. The rear connection is frequently located real close to the engine, so the technicians can read engine signals while working on them.

One in the engine area and the one upfront at the drivers location.

Rich.

The plot thickens. Hooked the ScanGaugeD to the round, 6 pin data port in the forward bay. It was not reading and data from the computer, so I contacted tech support, they said use another port. Searched the coach for an hour from front to back, top to bottom, and the only "other" port I could find was a 12 pin terminal about a foot away from the original round data port. Took a picture of the 12 terminal data port and sent it to the ScanGauge folks. It has only 4 active pins, so it looks promising, but it appears to be in the area of the Allison trans computer, so I am confused why that data port would work and the other one wouldn't. ScanGauge tech support said that other data port might work, and they are sending me a new cable to run to my unit on the dash at no cost. More to follow.

UPDATE: Problem solved! The 12 pin connector that ScanGauge sent me works. Getting all needed data from the computer to the display. Not sure why the other data connector in the electronics bay is not working.