equag

Good Sam: My Experience

I bought a used Pace Arrow Class A at Camping World in Holiday FL in Oct.'13. I bought the best Good Sam 2 year coverage for almost $4000.00. Before we left the lot I told them the Norcold fridge did not seem right. The tech said it just needed to be left on awhile. Well, it did not work and went back. They replaced the board. Warranty covered that, $100.00 deductible. I fought that one and won.

Went home, camping next week, died again. This time the sensor that had already been replaced by warranty. Two weeks later,more problems with it, more fixes, lasted a month this time. Then it worked for one weekend and stopped. Seems now, if the factory kitchen light was on, the fridge would stop if you opened and closed the door. Camping World has the coach a week and did not discover this, I did and took it back again.

Then came time for our big trip to New England. I took the coach in for a good inspection and told them I really needed the fridge to work. Well, we made it from Fl. to Ga. before a Wal Mart run for coolers and ice.

Once at RI, went to a dealer, another $100.00 deductible. Took it back, lasted 1 hour and quit. In speaking with the service manager, he advised that GOOD SAM does not replace anything. All we could do is hit and miss or leave it there for a few days while they tried different things. Well, we were living in it!

So, I dumped it and bought a new coach and salvaged the vacation. I canceled the remainder of the warranty and got back a whopping $75.00 after cancellation fees.

Never again, no Good Sam, no Camping World.....

All my experiences with GS ESP has been good and believe me there have been a lot of experiences. And as for replacing, if it can be fixed that is the first option but if it cannot it can be replaced. I just had 3 jacks replaced and GS covered it. The Kwikee jacks are not repairable. All the seals are internal and the casing has to be cut to replace them, then re-weld the casing. Can you imagine what that heat will do to the seals. So different things require different approaches.

I do understand you frustration and I wonder if it was just that camping world that did not know how to approach the repairs so that GS would cover them.

All my experiences with GS ESP has been good and believe me there have been a lot of experiences. And as for replacing, if it can be fixed that is the first option but if it cannot it can be replaced. I just had 3 jacks replaced and GS covered it. The Kwikee jacks are not repairable. All the seals are internal and the casing has to be cut to replace them, then re-weld the casing. Can you imagine what that heat will do to the seals. So different things require different approaches.

I do understand you frustration and I wonder if it was just that camping world that did not know how to approach the repairs so that GS would cover them.

You would think that since GS and Camping World are under the same ownership, they would understand how to play the game, if this were the case.

Tiffin Phaeton 2006

We have had Good Sam Xtnd Srv plan for several years. Have had a mixed bag of experiences. Work done at Tiffin factory has always been trouble free. Work done otherwise has been a major hassle.

For one they will only cut one check per occurrence. I have several times had a couple of receipts per occurrence since they won't pay more than one time per occurrence all billing has to be done by same provider which is not always possible.

I have also had them on two occasions not pay the previously agreed on amount--since all payments are subject to final claims decision--made by a contract provider.

Biggest item--just arrived at Tiffin for some more covered repairs and was told that Tiffin no longer will honor Good Sam plans!!!!!

Drove 1400 miles for this? It's Sat so won't find out why until Monday.

The Tiffin service facility in Red Bay no longer honors any service contracts, not just Good Sam. They were having to expend so much manpower to collect from service providers that they finally said "no more".

I'll go with Bill. Also, CW & GS today, is not the way it was when they where separate. Unless it's just for a store item, I stay

away from CW!

Carl

So where would you suggest for repair and/or upgrade modifications? I would think that every CW is not the same and like all franchised businesses some are good and some not so good. I am very hesitant to take my RV to any repair facility unless it was a immediate need and would prefer to have techs and staff that deal with RV's handle my needs.

One of the reasons I purchased my Bounder was the availability of the FORD chassis and engine work at decent labor prices. I cannot drive to the factory every time I need a upgrade or repair done, at the same time I am not going to take it to the local Firestone facility to have something like a sway bar and steering stabilizer installed. SO what is the best way to search/evaluate business that can handle the size and complications of a large RV vehicle?

If i live anywhere near Lazy Days in Tampa I would go there, their work bays are large, well trained, and accessible, yes it might cost a bit more but i know my coach would be properly cared for, unfortunately a 1200 mile trip one way for repairs is not practical.

Camping World in Anderson/Redding, Ca. replaced my $3300.00 (without installation) four camera system from Rearview Systems with a $497.00 (their cost) Voyager four camera system and the installation was horrible. The dash a/c problems (now over $3400.00) was so bad and unnecessary that I had to take it to an independent a/c shop to get it fixed. The camera system they installed is now coming out next week by an independent repair shop. What a hassle.

I now have an attorney and an adjuster trying to sort all this out while my beautiful Itasca Horizon 40ft. DP sits in my driveway and have not been able to use it since May. Shame on them!!

In 2013 I purchased a used class A motorhome from CW in Rochester, NY and with it a Extended Warranty from them and Good Sam for close to 5,000$ I had no trouble with the MH until this past July when the Hydraulic system that controls levelers and slide out quit working I called GS and they gave me the number to call for the insurance company. I contacted them and was given a list of business close to me to take it to for repairs, After the problem was determined they contacted the insurance company to get approval for the parts and labor. When I went to pick-up my MH they informed me they wanted payment in full because they did not want to deal with the insurance company so I wrote out a check for almost 4,000$ for a new Hydraulic motor, control board, wiring harness and key pad. Motor was burnt out, new control board was not compatible with old wiring harness and keypad. I found out why they did not want to deal with the insurance company it is now almost December and I am still trying to get reimbursed. So at this point if you are considering buy Extended Warranty Service from Good Sam put your money back in your pocket and never under any condition get insurance for anything from Assurant Solutions/ United Service Protection Corp unless you

Do not buy a good sams extended service plan. They Hassel you to no ends, ask for multiple copies of invoce, question the hours of labor and downgrade how many hours Their book says it should take to Fix a problem. They also pay the parts price Their Books says a part cost. It is never cost to my invoice I paid for.
I am dropping my plan and covering repairs on my own in future. Yhe shops I have used do not want to call good sams to pre authorize repairs and will always Forget to call them, leaving me to try and deal with good sams ex service. I have a letter out now to Marcus Lemons telling him what a joke His service plan is.

Wow CaptKelly, my experiences are just the opposite. When we purchased our 2008 I acquired the GS Extended Service Plan, including seals. To give you an idea of how many times it has been in the shop, DW gave it the name "Citrus." I have had thousands of dollars of repairs done and GS has come across each and every time. About 6 months ago 3 of the leveling jacks were replaced along with the hydraulic pump and 4 solenoids. Basically almost a system rebuild. GS covered all of it and my only part of the payment was my deductible.

I truly believe that the way to a good claim is all in how the service department writes it up.

That may be true. Maybe someone else can elaborate on that issue.

In any case it is good to hear the bad and the good about a company. It at least gives one the ability to make a decision of choice.

Thanks for your post.

Glad to hear that someone got some money out of GS!! So far we have got nary a cent! I think they got a flow chart of excuses not to cover any item that happens. After several claims and nothing covered, plus several facilities that say they will not work with them due to cost cutting demnded by GS and the hassle, I would not use them again. Don't know if anyone else is any better but got a bad taste from them so far.

Forget GS. We called about a tire and got 4 places to call. One out of business, one never answered, one said drive to him, and the last said maybe in 5 days. We called 1-800- Purcell and them came out and fixed the tire for $100 even. They told us the valve stem was loose and the tires were fine. They are nation wide and great to deal with. 

We called GS on the generator not running with only 6.4 hours on it. The dealer stated it was the carberator and it needed replacing as it could not be rebuilt. GS refused the repair and we cancelled the policy. Insure yourself is my advice and stay away from GS. We are in the process of moving our Assist policy to FMCA just for the problems with GS. 

Will FMCA policy be any different than GS.  It seems it not so much the sponsor, but more the insurer selected by the sponsor.  It is difficult to put thousands away for repairs of the future, but rather hold the insurer accountable.  The intent is to cover expense less deductible for the RV.   It should not be rocket science for the insurer to know the actuarial cost for rv expenses and come forth with a priced policy that removes the angst from claims.  The insurer should insist for claims a process that is fair, but provides cross country coverage of acceptable, reliable repair facilities.    Down time for the RVer is also important and should have expenses paid by the insurer for such circumstances.  So, if this would be the case, then perhaps we could not afford the policy and in fact would not get a policy in favor of moving the risk to our wallets.

Prior to the time Wayne got his and 3 years after. GS was golden!  Then GS and CW got a new owner, Marcus Lemonis, been kaka since and not getting any better, that also includes CW aka Camping World.  I had GS from 73' until I traded my 07' Winnebago, in 11'.  I did not renew on my 11' Allegro Bus and have been self  insured since!  I do carry Coach Net for road service! 

I have had Good Sam extended warranty service since 2012 with no major problems. My 2004 Georgie Boy Cruise master has been in the shop several times for minor to major repairs. I have only had to pay my deductible. Good Sam has a contract which states what they will cover and not cover you can check with them prior to repair. I would hate to put out a build to repair an engine or transmission. A good service writer does make a difference

I used Good Sam extended warranty when I bought a used MH (only 2000 miles on it) in 2015.  Cost $2400.  Every problem was not theirs.  The parts dept and the service dept are different companies or entities or something.  Sales is also broken out separate.  You can't go back to the salesman because he works for a different company then the parts or service dept.  Every problem I had cost money and the MH a Freedom Elite 23 U was a piece of crap.  It rode like a military tank.  The doors and drawer opened at most bumps, plastic water fittings broke banging into each other the ride was so bad.  It was a Ford E 350 chassis and I think they sent the wrong one to the factory and nobody  noticed it.  It had over 1 dozen leaf springs in the rear.  When I mentioned that to CW service they said it must be right.  The would replace the latches in the cabinet and closet doors. and then charge me for that.  When I took it for service the part was never covered for some reason so I paid the deductible plus the part cost.  I finally trade it, I took a few thousand loss but at least I have a MH I can use.  Nver again CW or GS.  Had GS Insurance too, the quote from Progressive on the new one was half.

The whole problem with CW and Good Sam is Marcus LEMON he is a greedy money hungry little man who does not give a d## about the people that made him wealthy!! 

Man, I have read all your comments and don't know what to think. Just bought a used 2008 Allegro and was thinking about a comprehensive mechanical breakdown insurance by GS. Would cost me about $1300 a year ($500 deduct), including tire protection. If the products with GS/CW aren't any good, what are some alternatives? Only have 18K miles, so don't really expect too many problems even though 9 years old. Someone mentioned FMCA; do they have a reliable plan? I want to do my homework before throwing good money after bad service. I appreciate all you have gone through and your forthcoming wisdom. 

Retired and ready to roll....

When I had my shop in Loma Linda, Ca. I had a contract with most all the RV dealers in this area. I stopped using any extended service plans from anyone, especially Good Sam. Collecting from them would take months.

drtramdo. Welcome!

08 Allegro, What?  Gas or DP, model would help?  There are extended warranties available from other firms out there, me I just put the premiums in a separate account every year.  Something breaks, I pay for it. 

Always read the fine print...99% don't.  Take a copy to an attorney, before you sign, a couple of hundred could save you a lot of grief. 

f442...Agree!

Carl