jeffnuttraveler

Exhaust Heat Causing Toad Tire Temps To Rise

We use our 2009 Revolution alot and have noticed that despite the outside temp the passenger side tires always read 8 to 10 degrees hotter than on our toad vehicle. At first I thought the issue was on our Jeep, but then I pulled our enclosed bike trailer and noticed the same issue. Turns out the exhaust of the coach exits on the passenger side and we believe this is the cause. Considering extending the coach tailpipe.

Got to love the heat of the exhaust filter. I would say send the exhaust straight out the side but you will be causing a problem to the vehicle next to you. I supposed a deflector or downward outward spout would help.

Welcome to the forum.

If it doesn't get more than 8-10 degrees even 30.I wouldn't worry about It.

You can see more than that from sunny side to the shady side on a summer day.

Bill

Walt,

Not sure toad transmission temperature (being towed) would ever be as high as with the toad is being driven. To me it would be a non-issue.

Just got back from our trip to Michigan and found that my "Tow Protector" (nylon mesh gizmo that fits onto tow bar) has melted directly above the exhaust pipe. Our coach is 2005 Dutch Star with 400 cat and the exhaust is a chrome turn down pointed 45 deg down and to the passenger side. Evidently, at speeds, the exhaust heat is being blown up somehow to overheat the mesh. I am thinking of doing two things: putting an extension on and also contacting the manufacturer to see if they have one rated for reentry temps. :)

We also have our Jeep tires get much hotter on the passenger side than the drivers side due to the diesel exhaust. But, I can still lay my hand on them, so I think it is okay.

Just got back from our trip to Michigan and found that my "Tow Protector" (nylon mesh gizmo that fits onto tow bar) has melted directly above the exhaust pipe. Our coach is 2005 Dutch Star with 400 cat and the exhaust is a chrome turn down pointed 45 deg down and to the passenger side. Evidently, at speeds, the exhaust heat is being blown up somehow to overheat the mesh. I am thinking of doing two things: putting an extension on and also contacting the manufacturer to see if they have one rated for reentry temps. :)

We also have our Jeep tires get much hotter on the passenger side than the drivers side due to the diesel exhaust. But, I can still lay my hand on them, so I think it is okay.

That exhaust pipe gets HOT you might try adding a heat shield over it. Adding an extension probably won't make that much difference.

Bill

A few years ago, I was camping at a KOA in Colorado and saw a DP in the space next to me. I noticed that the exhaust pipe tip had some kind of device attached to it. I was a pull-behind owner at the time so didn't think too much about it, but I did asked the guy what it was for. He said something about the heat melting his rock shield so he devised this device to keep the heat away. I wasn't sure at the time what he meant by a rock shield since I didn't use anything like that on my trailer.

The best I remember, it looked like a small cookie sheet turned upside down and attached to four metal legs that in turn attached to a couple of bands that went around the exhaust tip. I wish I had a pic of it or at least had a better memory of how it was attached. I would guess it was about 8-10" above the tip and the pan was installed so that the sides were pointing down. I don't know if there was any kind of insulating material attached to the underside of the pan or not. I do remember that the bands around the exhaust tip were slotted like the bands sometimes used to hold radiator hoses in place. I did not see his rock guard as it was stowed away, but he did say it was a plastic screen like material.

Hope this helps. The device did appear to be homemade.