Castle3

Location Of Chassis A/C Dryer: 2002 Monaco Windsor 36

Dash AC will not produce cold air. After a vacuum check and recharge, my mechanic suspects the dryer. (Low side pressure is negative vs specs at +30) I have searched manuals and the chassis itself but can't find it.

Castle3,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

The Dash AC Dryer is often located at the front of the coach, real close to the point where the low side line enters the blower box for the Cooling and heater.

Could be located under the dash on the inside = passenger side, but you might want to give Monaco a call and get the location from them.

From your description you could have a defective expansion valve or orifice tube. (Plugged)

Rich.

I agree with Rich as a defective expansion valve or orifice tube. That is located in the front where the evaporator inlet is. That is where the magic happens from high pressure liquid to low pressure gas. A little crud in the screen there acts as a plug to slow or stop the flow.

I recently had the same problem on my 2004 38' Knight. Expansion valve was plugged. They replaced the expansion valve, receiver/dryer, flushed the high pressure line and recharged. Cost was a little over $500. Worked great on a recent trip from Indiana to Florida and back.

For my first attempt at posting, it looks like I found the right category for my issue. Thanks to all. You have confirmed what my mechanic deduced. My concern with dryer location is it was suggested that anytime the AC system is opened, the dryer be replaced. I have the expansion valve and dryer on order. I'll be crawling under today in search for the dryer.

Jon

2002 Monaco Windsor 36'

PS I've been a member since January and read this forum daily. Many problems have been solved just by reading others posts. Collectively you folks are an encyclopedia of knowledge and have made my 1st year of ownership fun and within budget.

Rich,

Thanks for "clickey". I'm familiar with auto layouts and this seems to follow that. Attached pic shows expansion valve, but no dryer to be found. I suspect I'll find dryer under chassis. Likely place would be at a splice in hose. I didn't see it anywhere near the condenser either.

New expansion valve installed. I proactively installed a new compressor and as soon as I find dryer location I'll be ready for charge.

Jonpost-40551-0-55802400-1442527350_thumb.j

AC could make ice cubes after replacing Expansion valve, compressor, and dryer.

I finally found dryer hiding out above transmission! Just the place I would have put it. NOT !!

For those who may search in the future:

Compressor mfg by Eagle Products PN 20-09978-AM. $167

Dryer mfg by Parker PN 085098-00 $17.95

Expansion valve mfg.Volvo. by PN 176568 $26

Labor and parts from AC shop $280

Removal and installation of compressor and valve done by me in about 3 hours.

Jon