Little9

Norcold 1200LRIM Problem

OK need help..Washed exterior of 2004 American Eagle (not sure if pertinent..moisture..etc ) it is equipped with a Norcold 1200lrim...nothing on ctrl bd illuminated however when I plug in new 10 amp fuse ctrl bd lights up for about 15 seconds..led light is illuminated at access point to see compressor etc

The 1200 lrim is a gas absorption frig so you do not have a compressor. Allow the ckt. bd. plenty of time to dry out, try using a hair dryer to speed things up. If you are lucky it should begin to working normally :)

Little9,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Agree- dry out the PC board.

In the mean time, if you have food that needs to be kept cold, your best bet is DRY ICE. For freezer, wrap it in a couple of sheets of newspaper. In the refrigerator, wrap it more. Nothing to clean up-- it evaporates-- is carbon dioxide. Only harmful if one were to stick their head in the refrigerator and try to breath long term!

Far better than using ice, though that will work in the refrigerator-- just have to contend with melting ice.

We do that on most of our offshore trips in the sailboat to minimize compressor run time.

Little9,

Another possibility.

If you have the "little black box" installed, this was part of the recall to allegedly keep the refer from catching fire. The black box can go wacky if it gets wet.

What Jim said, you need a magnet to reset it. Not really getting wet I think soap fumes trips it. Does on mine every time it's washed even being careful not to spray vent so must be the soap.

Gents,

The exact same thing happened to a friend of mine. Do you think it would interfere with the little black box if you took a piece of foil and just drapped over, not wraped ?

I am not worried about our fridg. not it died this week. Here come a residential. :) I will now go back over all the post of folks that have replaced their Norcolds.

Herman

Herman.

You trying to say, "the magnet", did not work anymore! :rolleyes: From all the posts, Norcold is a JOKE <_<

What kind, or make of fridge you putting in?

Carl

I am thinking about a Samsung. From what I can discover it will work on MSW inverter. I remember there have been post showing models that will fit right in with little modifications. When we get home on Monday I plan on removing the Nevercold :angry: and put the little unit we bought for this trip in the opening and use it until after Six-State. Then I will get serious on what to purchase and how to install it. As for removing the Nevercold :angry: I plan on it going out the front door even if I have to take a saw to it. :)

Herman

Herman.

Having had 3 different units, in 3 DP's. I like the one I have now the best, it's a Whirlpool, 2 door! The others where Amana and GE, 3 door.

Women go crazy over the 3 door! Lots of volume in fridge for pot luck items. I had trouble with the plastic tabs on top breaking off and their

hard to find. :angry:

Tabs on mine is metal. I have no problem putting a 2 gallon pot off stew in it. You have a DW, she will tell you what to get ! <_< Likely you

will have to modify your space a lot. LOL. Hey! She happy, you happy! :):)

Carl

Herman,

I replaced my Nocold earlier this year with the Samsung French Door Refrigerator Model RF18HFENBSP purchased at Home Depot. We recently returned from a 6 week trip. When we left we basically emptied our home refer into the motorhome refer. Having the large freezer, compared to the nocold, was a tremendous bonus.

If you go with this model, the height dimension in the Samsung spec sheet is misleading. I don't remember the exact measurement but its maybe close to one inch taller. I did the install myself in a couple of days, maybe 8-10 hours total. I had an outlet from the MSW Inverter in the existing nocold opening so didn't need to do any electrical work. Home Depot delivery helped me remove the nocold through the door and set the Samsung inside the opening for me. I removed the nocold doors and HD removed the Samsung doors so it would fit through the passage door.

Now the downside - the ice cream is hard as a rock so don't forget to add a sturdy ice cream scoop to the utensil drawer.

I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Herman, if you have any questions please send me a PM, I just did this in ours 1 year ago this week, still remember it like it was yesterday, very simple to do, the payoff was huge and the cost was not.

I installed a basic fridge, freezer on top, fridge on the bottom, no ice maker (it was an option). GE model from Home Depot for $625.00 17.5 cu ft. I also wasn't sure if my inverter would power it, I bought it, brought it home and ran an extension cord from the coach refrigerator outlet into the garage, carefully unpacked it (just in case I had to return it) plugged it in for the afternoon, worked fine.

Good luck.

Herman,

We replaced our No-cold with a Samsung RF20HFENBBC French Door model from Home Depot. The one we got was black but I think it is available in white and stainless. 33" wide 19.4 cu ft. Had it installed in June 2015 and we love it. Solid ice cream and never run out of ice. Sandra loves the additional space in the freezer and refer.

When we travel, I just turn on the inverter and when we arrive, freezer is still -2 and refer is still 38. Our inverter is a MSW also. I don't' remember for sure but I think the book says 2 or 2.5 amps for this refrigerator.

Thanks for all the great advice and comments. We just returned from Volunteering at the Kansas State Fair, with a group of FMCA members from Six-State. The Nevercold died just before we left and we bought a small 2 door unit from HD. Had to learn to use it. Over loaded it and things in the back froze and in the front got cool. It did work for the trip. I plan on removing the Nevercold this week and putting the small unit in the hole till we have more time to complete the replacement.

We have the Six-State Rally in Conroe then on to our chapter Rally in Kerrville. If any of you are coming to the Rally in Conroe, please stop me and say Hi and Howdy.

As for the gentlemen that spoke of the magnet, they work lots of times however in our case it turned to be a moot point. We call Discount RV in Hutchinson and Heith came out open the compartment door and said "TOAST". Thought we had not smelled it the ammonia was leaking. "DEAD". Thank goodness, I have been waiting for this day to replace it.

Will keep you up on the never ending saga of Herman on the Road. Thing I could tell if I were as elegant with words like Tom.

Look for us down the road.

Herman

Herman, if you were up this way I'd say stop over to my house, I would be glad to help with the install. I found that when you call friends and offer beer and home made BBQ they line up to help. In the end I am suprised it's straight in the hole. :)

This thread hijacked or not really turn for the worst from reset the recall box to NoCold is a piece of junk. I know some of you are happy to junk your unit but I for one have no problems with mine other that the recall box tripping while being washed. If my Norcold did go out which is possible as it is going on ten years old in a home that suffers multitude earthquakes per year, I have to weight the pro and cons of going all electric.

Absorption refrigeration is well suited for a RV environment. It's made to work on multiple power no matter you are rolling or not. It's best suited when dry camping as it uses very little battery power while using propane for the heat exchanger. The all electric household refrigerator must have 120 voltage to work. The first problem is not only retrofitting the new unit in the RV but to add batteries, inverter and auto start control for the generator. Since the household refrigerator is not design to rock and roll down the road there is a question how long the compressor will last. With the cost of the conversion I can get a new RV refrigerator without modifying the RV and can go with a different name brand if I want to.

Bottom line is not scare anyone into replacement

Puff,

I agree and am not out t scare anyone. I had made the decission when in Hutchinson that if my unit could be repaired for under $300.00 then I was ready to have it repaired. However my unit had leaked the ammonia out making it cost effective, at least for me, to go forward with the resident. unit. As youeself I had no problem with the norcold as long as it worked. Mine died, RIP. I do have several shelves, 4 Wood covered doors and a like new ice maker.

Herman

Thanks for the offer Herman but my Norcold is fine for now so no parts needed. There is some that may need something so had on to them if you can. Those doors are expensive to replace as I heard you can't even get the door seal for it. I see your Norcold made it to 13+ years so maybe I have 4 years to go if I'm lucky. Then I probable put the whole unit in as I don't expect the shell to last much longer that amount of time.

Puff, we seem to have two post going at the same time on just about the same issue. When I pulled the old NorCold out, the coils on the back were so rusty it amazed me that they were holding any gases at all. However I was lucky when I looked at the floor of the opening the wood was in great shape. I have heard horror stories of some that had rotted away.

Herman

Yes the rotted floor is because one has to check the ice maker inlet water valve washer every year. It can drip without you knowing it and result in a wet floor under the refrigerator. Years of that can rot the floor out. I caught mine dripping twice as I fired up the fridge and water pump overnight and check in the morning. Needless to say I carry spare washers that fits that valve and other water hoses.

Puff, we seem to have two post going at the same time on just about the same issue. When I pulled the old NorCold out, the coils on the back were so rusty it amazed me that they were holding any gases at all. However I was lucky when I looked at the floor of the opening the wood was in great shape. I have heard horror stories of some that had rotted away.

Herman

Rusty coils is why I replaced my cooling unit last month with an Amish (Dutch Aire) unit. When we bought it, I saw the rust and knew it would need to be replaced. Best part of the Amish unit is no recall junk. Best part, the recall box tripped on our way to Shipshewana for the changeout.

I had JC Refrigeration in Shipshewana do the work and I went the Helium filled unit.

When they did the change, they found the heaters loose.

I wouldn't trade the hard ice cream and the additional storage space for anything. Previously we bought small jars of condiments to conserve space, now we empty the house refer into the house size refer in the motorhome. I would guess we can carry 2 times the quantity in the Samsung vs the Nocold. I never could get the Nocold freezer below 15 degrees and it was rare to get it that cold.

So far the Amish unit is excellent! at a setting of 4, Refer is at 35 degrees and freezer is at 0. Been running it steadily since the change out with some wireless thermometers. At a setting of 9, refer was at 32 and the freezer was -3. We have a 2 week trip coming up soon and we'll see how thing go then. We are very happy with our decision.

Rusty coils is why I replaced my cooling unit last month with an Amish (Dutch Aire) unit. When we bought it, I saw the rust and knew it would need to be replaced. Best part of the Amish unit is no recall junk. Best part, the recall box tripped on our way to Shipshewana for the changeout.

I had JC Refrigeration in Shipshewana do the work and I went the Helium filled unit.

When they did the change, they found the heaters loose.

This is in regards to Norcold ice maker,bought this 10 year old Kountry Star and the ice maker wouldn't work, fiddled around with it for days,could make it work by jumpering out so I knew it wasn't the water valve,went on line and amazon had one that looked just like mine for 75 bucks it was OEM FACTORY ORIGINAL GENUINE FSP WHIRLPOOL KENMORE MAYTAG ICE MAKER KIT

(Replaces these part #'s - 4317943, AP2984633, 1857, 4210317, 4211173, 4317943 (New)only had to chg the water receiver box(gotta take it apart to do this,five screws,no biggy)worked great!!