firedude310

Satellite Dish Recommendations

Well, I bought a tailgater and a 211z receiver for my RV. After a few months of not being able to get the antenna to lock a signal I returned it and got a new style of tailgater with the same results. I returned the whole thing.

Now I would like to get a new system but am really at a crossroad as to what to get but I would like to stay with the portable type.

But I am open to suggestions.

Thank you.

I went the portable route for many years. We became RVers in 1988 and as soon as the price dropped a little we took a dish with us. 1995 I think. The 5LNB or 3 LNB now used with Direct TV are more difficult to aim, but I have seen it done by determined TV lovers. Search for a really sturdy tripod that is stable and easily adjustable. Motorhome magazine had an article about just such a tripod a while back. Don't remember the name though. The original pie pan unit 18" I think is easy. After a little practice, you can lock on Direct TVs sat 101 but there will be no HD. The bigger dishes will probably need a good meter $$$$ to aim reliably. If you don't get good at it frustration will set in and the equipment will probably remain in a storage compartment. Visit Solid Signals website for some ideas.

I have used the tailgater for many years. I also use a tripod. When I set it up I use the compass setting on my phone in order to make sure that I have a clear sight. I look at southwest 213 degrees because I have dish. I also see that you did not mention how you connected to the 211z receiver. On some units you can't use the line for cable TV.

I mostly connected the antenna directly to the receiver. It would only find one satellite and only get pay per view on it. I would mess around for hours facing it south per the instructions. Then on the phone with Dish and King. Uhg. So looking for easier options.

I mostly connected the antenna directly to the reciever. It would only find one satellite and only get pay per veiw on it. I would mess around for hours facing it south per the instructions. Then on the phpne with Dish and King. Uhg. So looking st easier options

I have DISH Network and I use the Carryout portable antenna. If I have a clear sight to the souther sky I have had no difficulty picking up the 3 satellites. There is a new DISH Portable out there called Anser. It uses Sat 72 and receives all dish programming off that satellite - so they say. Any dome can receive DISH HD but only 1 satellite at a time. So the functionality of the recording is limited. I like DISH.

Wayne.

"If any dome can receive Dish HD". Then the RV'ers, should be the same?

With a Direct TV receiver, I should be able to receive 1 Satellite on my DISH DOME, right?!

Carl

I use the Wingard Answer, It is larger than the tailgater, and you have to set the elevation manually, after that you install the coax from the receiver to the dish, plug the power cable to a 12 volt outlet.

"I carry a portable power booster with me" because many times the coax will have to be stretched a good distance from the coach. When 12 volts is supplied, the dish starts turning left then right a full 360 degree, and will lock on a signal if there is one to lock on, if the unit rotates 360 more than twice, I will reset the elevation and try again. Never takes more than three minutes to set up.

Also it is important that there is a clear path in the direction for the satellite. I do use Direct, but you can specify which service, and have worked with many on Dish for others. One other thing comes to mind, I helped get 5 other campers this past weekend set up, many are not aware that the receiver must be told through the menu on the receiver what kind of dish that is connected, if it is set

for one type, and you use another, the system will never work correctly. I know most of my fellow FMCA members know these things, but there are new owners coming online daily that just have not been taught the correct method yet.

Good luck finding a unit that will work for you.

Kay

Wayne.

"If any dome can receive Dish HD". Then the RV'ers, should be the same?

With a Direct TV receiver, I should be able to receive 1 Satellite on my DISH DOME, right?!

Carl

Maybe a little clarification. Any dome that can receive DISH Network sattelites can provide HD to an HD Television. Dome antennas cannot provide HD from a DIRECTV satellite, at the present time. Many of the portable domes on the market have DIP switches inside the dome that can be set for the specific satellite system. If the Dome can be set to DISH Network via DIP switches it can provide HD.

In this statement ""If any dome can receive Dish HD". Then the RV'ers, should be the same?" I don't understand the last sentence.

Edited: I have the Carryout antenna and it is programmed through the DIP switches to received Satellite 110, 119, and 129. I take the VIP-722 from the house on our trips and I use the Carryout. The Carryout dome operates as expected. Once a check switch is done and sets to the coorect switches it will find 1 satellite at a time, either 110, 119, or 129. If I run a second coax off the Carryout it gives me a little more functionality of receiving one station while recording another but only if both stations are off the same sattelite, 110, or 119, or 129. The VIP 722 is also capable of OTA signals and when I program it for OTA they show up in the "GUIDE." there is no need to change the input on the TV to receive the OTA signals, just use the VIP-722 DISH Guide and select a channel.

When I do not use two COAX inputs I can still record one channel on the DVR, switch inputs on the TV ad watch an OTA on the TV while the DVR is recording. Works for me, but I would like to simplify an go to the Anser antenna (No "W" in Anser)

I have no clue how reverse became (RV'ers)! There seems to be gremlins out there!!!

Ha ha!

Well, if you have a DirecTV receiver and a DISH Dome you could not watch satellite - unless - the dome is programmable for DirectTV.

You may miss the money briefly but you will not regret having a Direct TV traveler installed! The HD is better in our coach than at home.

Today on I ran into the problem of trees. RV mounted dish won't work. So I get out the carry out dish. I set it up turned it on and let it do it thing. With in 15 minutes we had Dish TV with HD. Since I have Dish the switches are all in the correct places. As far as who has the better HD , well that seems to be a matter of opinion.

My Vip211z is from my house and we use it for both the RV mounted and the carry out dish.

I am done with portable antennas. When in doubt, I call ahead and ask for a site that is Traveler friendly. The people on the desk seem to be aware of the requirements and will tell you if they have one that will work.

You may miss the money briefly but you will not regret having a Direct TV traveler installed! The HD is better in our coach than at home.

There is a Traveler for DISH also.

Wayne.

Just trying not to bite the $2,400 bullet. Removing my crank up DISH & replacing with DIRECT TV dish! :(:rolleyes:

Carl

I'll never get rid of DISH. They have been reliable for me. But I would want the open faced Traveler.

I am done with portable antennas. When in doubt, I call ahead and ask for a site that is Traveler friendly. The people on the desk seem to be aware of the requirements and will tell you if they have one that will work.

I'm going to make this story short as I tend to draw them out when in person, so picture this

Dragged out open faced 3 lnb Antenna. Set it up in the very close track of the RV site next to me. Spent a very, very, very long time trying to acquire satellites. Got fed up, went in to cool off, had a beer, it was getting dark so I told DW that I needed to move the antenna in case an rv needed to get in there. Picked it up and moved it directly behind my RV - fool with it in the morning. Went in side and had all three DISH satellites. GO FIGURE! Next time it happened I just went and purchased the Carryout.

Wayne.

A long, long time ago I had DISH at the house and it worked fine. Then DISH got into a fight with the local channels in Houston. I changed to DIRECTV and found it to be easier for me (perhaps not you) to use....before HD. :(

On my coach I had a DISH TV, Windguard SK 1000 installed in Seffner, FL. I called and activated my DISH, that's when the BS started. Never could get it thru the brain of the billing people that I lived in Texas and the Sat. receiver was mounted on a RV & not a house in FL! Every time I wanted to watch TV at a location, I had to make a call to some twit in an other part of the world and explain what a RV was!

Also, That part about, "Call us and you will not be charged for the time your RV is in storage". Is a joke! $84 per month period! :angry:

I have DIRECTV at both houses. I have no wish to run around a campground with a portable anything to watch TV. Besides, most parks have cable, some more channels than others, even in the piney woods! I have had all the dome's I ever want...they get wet from dew or rain and you just lost the game! <_<

I want to push a button for TV and one for Sat. and be done with it! :)

Carl

Manholt,

I know what you mean. We no longer have a house but we use our kids address for mailing. We now ask for an Advance Tech who will set up my local channels but will leave my mailing address alone.

Surely, as the time has gone by when pay-as-you-go first came about, the customer service reps are getting it straightened out. I'll find out when I get the extra receiver and that program.

We got caught at a State Park within 25 feet of clear view across a lake to SW. Ran to town and bought the Tailgater. Bingo. Connected to outside connection and had great TV on all three Satellites. Used several times since whenever caught blocked by trees and always been successful. It is automatic and powered through coax. I have Dish 211 receiver.

Just upgraded to Wingard Pathway X2 which will find Satellites in both hemispheres. It will even find one if I can find a hole through trees with my Dish Pointer phone app. We are well pleased with Dish and our Pathway portable. Changed to Dish at home also.

Good Luck.

Campingham