washtech

Spring Trip in North West

Question

Planning Western Trip in Spring '16, From FL to SD, WY down to CO, NM, TX and back. Leaving FL around April 15th up through mid-west to SD. Main concern is running Hwy 14, 16, 20 from Cody, WY into Yellowstone (around third week of April) and down into Jackson. Anyone with experience on this route have any suggestions?

Also "considering" going from Cody, WY north up to I-90 into Montana and running up to Polson/FlatHead lake and then down the West side of Rockies into CO.

How about thoughts on this route? Still too early with regard to snow?

Thanks,

Washtech

5 answers to this question

Jack.

Cold, snow & ice comes to mind. Most secondary roads and less traveled. I'm not sure if Yellowstone is open in April.

I would check with each states tourist info center. Also, Google Yellowstone to see if all off park or just part is open.

Also size restrictions if any! Jackson, Polson and the lake is pretty much going to be white and cold....wear socks!

Carl

Good Morning & Thanks Carl:

Yup, got it! This old FL boy (transplanted Yankee) understands COLD & SNOW. Saw a YouTube video on Beartooth Mountains "snow removal" on hwy 16 in early May. Trip has been "re-scheduled" :)

Enjoy the Fall Colors.

Jack

The colors was just starting to show last week in the Asheville area, but have yet to come in Roanoke Rapids! Don't expect any around

Lake Marion, SC next week!

Carl

We're at 4000 feet here in West Jefferson, NC. Colors are appearing at 3000 to 5000 in elevation. Been real dry this year and we anticipate bright fall colors. All depends on how rainy & windy it gets in the next couple of weeks. Usually the peak is between second & third weeks of October.