Sign in to follow this  
F452554

Towing With The RVI2 Brake

I was thinking about purchasing the rvi2 supplemental braking system for towing my PT Cruiser behind a 36' Bounder.

I would appreciate any pro or cons on this device, or any braking device really.

I feel the RV is not stopping as it should with the extra weight behind pushing.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I don't think there is a con. I have had an axillary brake in my Liberty for four years and it helps all braking situations. The only downside is my brake (Roadmaster) it's a pain to install it to tow, hooking up the pedal and cables and adjust the seat.

If you have to drive the car a short distance you have to do it again. Worth it when you have to hit the brakes quickly!!

I've had both the Roadmaster and RVi. The RVi, in my opinion, is vastly superior. It is much smaller, lighter, easier to connect in my Jeep Wrangler and it reacts better. Setup is similar in both but the RVi is easier due to it's size, weight and automatic one button punch activation. The RVi's connection to the brake pedal is also much easier to connect and disconnect.

A word of caution. Roadmaster makes three completely different types of toad brakes. So, be sure you are doing an apples to apples comparison.

As an example, we have the Roadmaster Invisibrake on our our toad and on the last one. Once it is installed, there is ZERO hook ups (other than cable to coach). So there is nothing to move in and our or set up in the toad.

http://roadmasterinc.com/products/braking/sys_for_me.html

Excellent point Brett. I use an SMI Stay-n-Play and love it. No further work after you initially install it in your vehicle....only downside is that it's a permanent mount and cannot go from one tow vehicle to the next...not an issue if your tow vehicle will be with you awhile.

I was comparing the original Roadmaster version of the Brake Buddy-type portable brake-in-a-box to the RVibrake. I believe that is about as "apples-to-apples"as you could get. Roadmaster has made later models of the brake I had but they are still basically the same physical hook up and size, which is my basis for negative comments compared to the RViBrake.

My intent was to compare only the portable type brakes. I thought the description of the installation and setup made that clear. Sorry if anyone was confused by that.

We installed the SMI Stay in play duo tow brake system in our 2014 CRV (SMI-99251) that we tow behind our 31' MH, and LOVE IT!!. It installs under the hood and is wired direct. You flip a switch that's installed under the dash and you're ready to go. You will need to do some minor adjustments after initial install but, it doesn't get any easier. No need to take it in and out every time you want to drive your toad. It's a permanent install.