hermanmullins

CB Radio - Grounding the Antenna

Had no CB antenna. :angry: I was told by factory that the ground planes are there for both CB & AM/FM Radio. Did NOT want to drill holes into fiberglass cap. :unsure: Decided to try and convert the inadequate factory antenna. Attempts to tune factory furnished antenna would not "unpeg" the SWR meter. Unscrewed antenna from base mount and replaced factory antenna with a 2 foot Firestik FS II. Replaced the spring with medium strength spring from Firestik because so many said the factory springs rust, become weak and then break. Tuned the antenna to 1.5 & 1.8 on SWR meter by screwing the top adjustment screw out about 1 inch, locked it tight and placed red rubber cap over it. Took the radio connector and plugged in to a coax connecter conversion cable. Installed a "T" style radio antenna on the radio replacing the cable we converted for use as a CB antenna. It is placed in front cap running from driver's side to passenger's side under the dash. Works great. Wednesday will be installing Bluetooth phone/audio devices to the radio and Sirius antenna box and antenna along with 2 new electric WOLO brand 115db trumpet horns in the generator compartment replacing that weak a** factory horn! :o Man... I can't wait to make the 6 state rally. Got to get this coach more presentable. B) TXUSGUY Gary N. Gibson Fort Worth TX Tiffin Allegro Breeze 32BR

Just an update on installs. The horn, although NOT my previous Bully Air Horns, are exceedingly better than the OEM. JVC radio is now High Definition AM and FM, Sirius, and Bluetooth Audio and Bluetooth Telephone. I am very happy with the install. However, I must say I am MOST impressed with the Bluetooth Phone capability. It sounds phenomenal on both ends. No yelling. No inability to hear. AND a lot safer! Again "thanks" to all who guided/advised during the process.

You can really tell how old a person is when they tell you their FCC cb license #, by the way mine was KAMD4093.

KAMS7478, but I was around long before that on the amateur bands.

There are NGP (Non-Ground Plane) antennas that are installed on some fiberglass coaches..as well as aluminum. You may already have one of these. If you do not know what brand of antenna you have, take a look at the cable. If it is RG58 it is most likely a NGP antenna. An NGP antenna uses this type of cable and is a specific length. If you cut the cable you will have problems. If its any other kind of cable see if the connector is grounded.

Mine is FEP4323. I got my FCC license in the 70's.

My dad started using CB's in his business in the 50's. He had both 6 volt and 12 volt radios for his trucks. The CB's were about 6" X 6" X 12" and were powered by tubes. When he passed in 2004 I ended up with his car. It has a CB installed. I don't remember his FCC license number. He was the first person on the air in our town. Eventually there was too much CB traffic to use CB's in a business. Now, with cell phones, you can once again ues a CB radio. In 2008 DW and I traveled from Seattle to LA in our MH. I had the CB on channel 19 all the way and I didn't hear a single call. I thought the CB was not working till I heard my first call in Arizona.

KRJ8617 - but have not used it in years. Got rid of last radio with a coach trade about 4 years ago. If, in fact, cell phones have taken some of the garbage off channel 19 I might consider getting back on a mike again. I guess I could find out where our FRS radios are and charge them up for short term use.

I have a problem with my CB as well. Whenever I press the mike, my own voice booms over the FM radio speakers whether the radio is using FM or playing a CD. I have a Firestik...one of the short NGP antennas that look like a cell phone antenna. It is using RG58 wire which is "tuned" to length. I removed the PL-259 connector and installed new one. I checked all connections.My Cb is a Cobra 75WX-ST.

I originally thought the problem was the antenna when the radio was tuned to FM, but when it does the same when playing a CD I think it is something else. Are there filters I can install on the radio to eliminate this?

"KMA4583"