Sign in to follow this  
mikerodg

Water Managment Tips

I searched the forum and could find no discussions regarding water managment . Please direct me to one if you know otherwise let's start one here.

1. Turn shower head off while soaping.
2. Turn water of while brushing teeth.
3. Stopper drain while waiting for hot water to shave.
4. Stopper sink while washing and rinsing dishes.
5. Use paper and plastic for boon docking.

You can use plastic basins (hospital style) to wash and rinse dishes and use that water to flush the toilet.

Once you get to that stage you are ready to stand in a little larger basin/tub and save the shower water to flush.

Electric razors, cold/warm water reclaimation/recycling plumbing, all good alternatives.

Do you know that we have not lost a "drop" of water since we got a atmosphere? Sorry, not much PC in Texas, unless they are transplants!

Rinsing stuff always seems to me to be the big water waster. I can wash kitchen things with barely any water at all. Removing the soap though takes much more. (And of course you can collect that water for other purposes.)

I've found that washing everything immediately with minimal soap & water is way more efficient that letting a sink full of dirty dishes collected. But we don't "cook" either. All our food preparation is totally heat something quick & easy up.

And unless you are out boondocking extremely water saving measures are not required anyway. But it's nice to know all the tricks for when it's necessary.

I have an older coach with small tanks so it is more important to conserve water. I installed a tee in the hot water line next to the shower faucet, using a valve and a return line to the fresh water tank. What this does is allow the hot water to get to the shower before any water is lost down the drain and it is returned to the fresh water tank. I installed a thermometer so when the water reaches 125 degrees I shut the bypass valve and have instant hot water at the shower head.

We boondock quite a bit in national parks and a few racing venues. One thing I found that made a surprising difference in water consumption and grey water storage was adding a shower head with on/off control and installing a liquid soap and shampoo dispenser in the shower. A quick soaking all over, turn of water, apply liquid soap which lathers rapidly, then ready to rinse with no need to adjust water temp again. same true for shampoo. (repeat weekly and you can really save on water :D ).

I searched the forum and could find no discussions regarding water managment . Please direct me to one if you know otherwise let's start one here.

1. Turn shower head off while soaping.

2. Turn water of while brushing teeth.

3. Stopper drain while waiting for hot water to shave.

4. Stopper sink while washing and rinsing dishes.

5. Use paper and plastic for boon docking.

Lots of good ideas. I don't Boondock in the extreme (no hook ups) as some do. What I have run into in some places is no sewer or the combo of no water or sewer. I am currently in Galveston state park Texas, power and water but no sewer, dump stations are available. One thing is use the used dish water to flush the toilet as I think someone mentioned. You will find the gray tank will fill up much faster than the black tank. Use the local shower house/restrooms when ever you can. I can go over a week if I am carful. This summer in Lake Erie State park all I had was power so I would go to the dump station once a week and refill my fresh water tank.

Bill