mypopslou

Extend A Stay

I am planning on living in my motorhome this year and have made reservations for the winter at a local RV Park. They recommend I attached an Extend A Stay to my propane tag which would allow me to add an external propane tank that they would make sure stays full during the winter months. This will make it so I do not have to move my coach when propane is needed.

Currently I have a 2006 Tuscany which has my propane tank mounted to the frame underneath. The fill cap and bleeder are the only things that stick out to the side of the coach. I turn the propane on and off with an electric switch inside the coach

Has anyone ever heard of this system and can the extend a stay be attached to my propane system. Someone told me that of you attach the external tank to the filler cap on my tank that the pressures would equalize and I will be drawing from my tank which would be replenished from the external tank. Also it is my understanding that if I run my furnace it will heat my storage compartments and/or my holding tanks.

I am already planning on acquiring a heated water hose and using heat tape for the portion of the pipe that sticks out of the ground on the water supply

This is the first winter we will spend in our motorhome in Pa so any other suggestions would certainly be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

My (and likely most) extend-a-stay installation has the gadget installed between the manual turn off valve and the regulator. The regulator is shifted slightly and reattached to make room. The turn off valve being shut and all propane supplied by the external added tank. Your fill, bleeder, and inside on/off switch will not be used. (might be wrong about the switch) Depending on who is paying for electricity you should consider additional electrical heating (space heater or trouble lights) for your basement service compartments. Running a furnace 24/7 to keep them warm becomes old real fast.

Good Luck.

My (and likely most) extend-a-stay installation has the gadget installed between the manual turn off valve and the regulator. The regulator is shifted slightly and reattached to make room.

Good Luck.

Rocky is right.. The Shut off valve/Regulator are located behind a cover in the basement. I had to slide the sliding shelf out to make room for me to crawl in to attach the "Stay a while". A pain of a place to locate the valve.

Ron

My wife and I spent part of last winter around Chicago. We had the heat type on the water and the heated water hose. We also got a 120 gallon propane tank. With size tank we were able to keep the temp up and the basement nice and warm. If a refill was needed the propane company would come out and refill, no need to move the RV.

Planning on putting an extend-a-stay on our arrow. I am currently parked behind the house we rent. We are staying in our motor home full time for the moment and planning on full timing out to Arizona as soon as we can thin down our possessions.

Here is what I am trying to do: I have two 100 gallon propane tanks that set about 5' from our arrow. We are using a lot of propane during the cold times here in Virginia. I want to connect the two 100 gallon propane tanks to the arrow via the extend-a-stay.

Here is what I am concerned about: I can remove the 90 off of the connection point to the house and put a tee on and connect the extend-a-stay connection hose there, but I am worried about pressure. I was planning on putting the extend-a-stay between the tank shut off and the regulator on the arrow. The external tanks for the house have a 9.5 W.C regulator which is what our arrow's pressure regulator is rated at.

I'm concerned that there my be a problem with pressure if I have two regulators on the same system even if they are rated at the same W.C... does anyone have any wisdom or fix for this so i can get this system installed this week.

I am not a fan of recreational maintenance when i can do the job right the first time.

Here is what I ran into with two regulators, if I use an automatic changeover for two tanks, with two regulators I can use only 50% of either tank, and the auto changeover will not changeover automatically, and will only allow 50% of either tank, and reports an empty tank on either one at this point. I don't know why this happens but that is my scenario when I use two regulators. If I take the auto changeover out of the equation, either tank will empty properly. The only reason that I have this situation is because the lp gas generator has one built onto it and the changeover device has one built onto it, therefore the generator can't be used through the changeover device.

Mypopslou, I would not use the fill valve to connect your extend a stay. The last extend a stay I hooked up I installed it in line, after the shut off and regulator on my coach. This way I can run off the external tank and keep my onboard tank in reserve. I used a regulator on my external tank. One thing to look at is they make quick disconnects  rated for propane and it makes it easier to attach the external tank or latter hooking up an external grill to your onboard tank.

Bill