caninecop

Replacement Tires-- Michelin Advantage Program Dealer Tucson AZ

I was going to replace my tires next year, but due to being forced into the curb to keep from getting hit, I have to replace them now. The curb took a hunk out of the sidewall. I didn’t know it at the time, I have driven about 100 miles since the incident. I am a little uneasy about driving them too much further so I am going to replace all six tires. At the present time I have Toyo M-154’s, which I have been very happy with. I am getting a quote from a dealer in Tucson for the Toyo’s.

I have never used the Michelin Advantage Program. I am looking for someone who has used the program in the Tucson area for a recommendation on which dealer to use. I have done a search and found TCI 827. If this was the dealer that you used, would you recommend them?

I used the Michelin Program about 2 years ago in the Savannah GA area and saved over $500 for 6 tires for my coach - They are quality !!

Of course, compare quotes of Toyo vs Michelins and include the tire removal, disposal, balancing etc before you reach a decision --

Good luck finding the 255/80R22.5 Michelin tires. Maybe they went into production again. I switched over to the Toyo. I'm not playing the game for a few $$, but me thinks the Toyo's were still cheaper.

I have just bought a 2006 Monaco Windsor with 14000 miles, the home as well as the tires look absolutely new, there in is problem, the tires look great good tread and no side wall cracking butch are reaching 10 years in age but very little wear. We are about to embark on our maiden voyage leaving NC to FL for a wk and then to AZ for two weeks and then back to NC. After just purchasing the home and making some improvements my budget has just about evaporated. I am concerned about starting the trip with these tires or am I being over cautious?

David

Having gone thru your dilemma myself just a while ago, I strongly suggest you put on new tires before your trip. As with your coach, ours had tires that looked absolutely new, no wear, no cracks, looked great. But, they were approaching 10 yrs of age. So, after finding new Michelins in Iowa, we sprang for a complete set. Your peace of mind knowing you are riding on new rubber with hardly any chance of a failure, is worth a lot. But, riding on the old ones, you will always have that doubt in your mind about the life of the 10 year old tire.

Remember, the tire makers suggest replacing at 7 years, well before yours (and ours) 10 year age.

You also don't have to go for Michelins, as any quality rv tire will give you the safety you are after. Good luck and safe travels!

I agree with the previous post about tire replacement as mh tires will mostly age out before they wear out. Looks in this case can/will be very deceptive and damage from a possible blowout can result in unbelievable expense. Although the Michelin Tire program offered through this site is admirable and does offer some $ savings, there are other acceptable replacements at noticeably less cost. We use Hankooks on our class A but others to consider would be, Yokohama, Bridgestone, Sampson. I have found these to be usually $300 +- less than Goodyear /Michelin.

I would, at minimum, have the existing tires examined if not already done so, by a dealer who mounts such tires, replace the (2) fronts, weigh your mh at a reputable scale such as a CAT scale, and make sure the rear tire are properly inflated. The pressure shown/recommended on a lot stickers in mhs are, in my opinion to low, as they are wanting the ride to be soft/smooth? Our tires have 120psi @ cold on the sidewall but I run 110psi in the front and 100-105psi in the rear.

Start budgeting now for the remaining rear tires as they should definitely be replaced in the spring at the latest. Another thing to seriously consider in the near future is a TPMS(keeps track of your tries for pressure, air less, temp, etc). You might give the one is this link a look when convenient. http://www.tiretraker.com/ One other thing, budget, budget, budget as the beast will need to be fed periodically will the green stuff ($$$), but they are still a lot of fun. :D

I have never used the Michelin Advantage Program. I am looking for someone who has used the program in the Tucson area for a recommendation on which dealer to use. I have done a search and found TCI 827. If this was the dealer that you used, would you recommend them?

We bought our Michelin tires from Ron Olson at TCI Tire Centers, 1100 W Glenn, Tucson, AZ. using the Michelin Advantage Program and are satisfied with the experience. Ernie, running 315/80R22.5 tires on our 2002 Country Coach Allure 36' dual slide.

Under the tried and usually true theory known as POM (Peace of Mind), I am swapping out all 6 of my 5.5-year old Michelin 235/80R22.5 for new Michelins under the Michelin Advantage Program. The good news: the cost savings is roughly $100/tire, and that is an all-in cost with mounting, balancing, disposal, etc.. The bad news: only one tire distributor in my home city participates in the Program, and they claim the 235/80R22.5 size is back-ordered since last fall due to demand by RV manufacturers. The dealer recommends switching to 255/70R22.5 Michelins, which he claims are in greater supply (good if 1-tire damaged), have a slightly larger footprint (good), carry a higher load rating (good), but cost about $100/tire more. I spoke directly to Michelin who verified "spot shortages" from time to time, and quoted lots of measurements that led me to believe the dealer was correct, the 255's would fit.

So my quandary is: since I'm going to end up paying the same $$, should I stick to the 235's from a non-Michelin Advantage dealer, or "upgrade" to the 255's from a Michelin Advantage dealer.

gz21702,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Not sure it makes sense that there would be any different supply issue between Advantage and non-advantage dealers. And, if they have been on back order that long, a VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION is: "What age are the tires". Important because as you are doing right now, they will be replaced based more on time than tread wear.

Easy to tell: Molded into one sidewall of each tire is the complete DOT number. The last 4 digits are usually in a raised/indented area, as that part of the mold is changed weekly. The last 4 digits indicate the WEEK and YEAR of production. So, 2715 were made the 27th week of 2015. I would not want to pay for tires more than 3 months old.

Be sure to research the size and carrying capacity aspects of any potential tire change.

The load range and capacity of the 255/70 22.5's are greater than the original equipment 235/80 22.5's, a fact verified by Michelin web site and phone call. Both tires, per Michelin, will fit 7.5" rims. The 255/70's are approx. 1/2-inch smaller diameter (resulting in a 1.5 mph speed reading error), and also approx. 1/2-inch wider tread width. Plenty of room between dualies on rear axle.

Upon second questioning, the only Michelin Advantage Dealer in my home city is sticking to his story that the 235/80's are back-ordered, regardless of other dealers saying (unverified) they can get the tires but do not have the equipment to install on 22.5 aluminum rims. He says, in so many words, get the 255/70's or get in line awaiting the 235/80's.

As to age of the tires, I looked at the 255/70's he's trying to sell me. They carry a manufacture date of 3415, or August 2015, 5-months ago.

Have been reading other sites blogs regarding interchangeable tire sizes, and I'm leaning to the higher load capacity of the 255/70's.

Looks like Spring will come early this year (ask the Groundhog!) and want to be road-ready with new rubber on the coach. Also adding Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer and a TPMS system.

Many thanks for your thoughts and input!!