Sign in to follow this  
hoot42

XM Radio Installation

I just had a new Sony XM equipped radio installed and it does now keep a regular signal. The antenna was ran up front window side of coach and positioned on the inside window.

Can someone tell me where that antenna should be set to get the best signal...

I just had one installed and the installer mounted mine on the dash. I questioned this and he said he'd done "hundreds" this way. Well, needless to say, when heading north we had very poor to no reception at all. When returning south, the reception was great. In checking, I have learned that if you have a fiberglass roof, you should be OK to mount the antennae up against the roof in one of the forward cabinets. Am waiting for a call back from the installer to re-locate mine right now.

I have had two installed and they were always on top on either side and run down the outside post to inside.. That works great. That the same way they come an auto. I get the tuners and the ant. from Boats Plus in Chattanooga TN. I have no luck with ant. in the inside but great on top.

I left mine loose on the dash. Heading in a Northerly direction DW can move it over to one side or the other and that seems to get me the signal. One day I may mount it on the roor and stop fooling with it.

Anywhere on the roof that you can easily run the coax to it. It can be mounted on the side of the coach with the base at the roof line, all it needs is an unobstructed view

of the sky.

I took the obsolete Datron sat antenna apart and removed the upper pieces and left the mounting plate. I then removed the seal plate for the wiring and with help feeding the wires through from my wife we put our XM and the WE Boost (Cell Amplifier) Antenna's on the Steel mounting plate. Resealed everything with lots of Dicor. I also pulled 2 extra wires along with the antenna wires and looped them under the roof for anything I my do in the future.

Works absolutely perfect!

post-43469-0-82084100-1444576175_thumb.j