GiraAmerica

Tennessee & Arkansas RV Parks Along I 40

My wife and I will be travelling to Texas through Tennessee and Arkansas and would appreciate some ideas about where to stay along the route. We are traveling in a 40ft Class A, towing a jeep.

On our way back from Wisconsin, we enjoyed our stay here in N Little Rock-- right on the river and a short walk across a pedestrian bridge to the Clinton Presidential Library.

http://www.downtownriversidervpark.com/

We have enjoyed visiting a number of the Presidential Libraries-- whether we were fans of that particular president or not.

We travel I-40 a couple time a year from Colorado, as Brett says we have stayed in N. Little Rock it is nice. Traveling further west we have stayed in Conway AR and it is not bad, Fort Smith AR has a nice park. But if that far west I really try to make it to Sallisaw OK which is not far from Fort Smith, nice owners well maintained park I think it is a KOA. Have not been to far into Texas, want to do that someday, have nice trip. We also run in a 2005 40' Alfa and tow a Chev Tahoe.

The Van Dyks

FMCA F442182

If you need to stay in the Memphis area, Tom Sawyer RV Park in West Memphis is very Good. Your site will be facing the river on a levee and you can sit in your drivers seat and watch the river traffic go by. (Ask for a riverfront site in the Motor Home section)

Welcome to the forum.

Where in Texas? Where are you leaving from?

In Nashville I used Yogi Bear Jelleystone, 2572 Music Valley Dr, Nashville, TN 37214,

nashvillejellystone.com

(615) 889-4225

I also have stayed in the on in Little Rock that Brett posted a link to.

Now if you are going to Amarillo I like, Overnite RV Park, 900 S Lakeside Dr, Amarillo, TX 79118

overnitervpark.com, (806) 373-1431. A fun thing to do is call The Big Texan Steak Ranch (806) 372-6000 and they will send a limo to pick you up. You could try to eat the 72 oz steak if you do it is free.

Bill

We travel I-40 a couple time a year from Colorado, as Brett says we have stayed in N. Little Rock it is nice. Traveling further west we have stayed in Conway AR and it is not bad, Fort Smith AR has a nice park. But if that far west I really try to make it to Sallisaw OK which is not far from Fort Smith, nice owners well maintained park I think it is a KOA. Have not been to far into Texas, want to do that someday, have nice trip. We also run in a 2005 40' Alfa and tow a Chev Tahoe.

The Van Dyks

FMCA F442182

Thanks for the info. We spend the winter in Mission Texas, in the Rio Grande Valley. Our favorite stops are in the Hill Country around San Antonio.

Welcome to the forum.

In Nashville I used Yogi Bear Jelleystone, 2572 Music Valley Dr, Nashville, TN 37214,

nashvillejellystone.com

(615) 889-4225

Now if you are going to Amarillo I like, Overnite RV Park, 900 S Lakeside Dr, Amarillo, TX 79118

overnitervpark.com, (806) 373-1431. A fun thing to do is call The Big Texan Steak Ranch (806) 372-6000 and they will send a limo to pick you up. You could try to eat the 72 oz steak if you do it is free.

Bill

Welcome to the forum.

nashvillejellystone.com

(615) 889-4225

Bill

We live in upstate New York, and spend winters in Mission Texas after visiting our son in Weatherford. That steak sounds interesting. Thanks for the info.

Well that steak is going to be a little ways away from you as it is only 750 miles to Amarillo from Mission.

When visiting your son in Weatherford can you stay at his house? I have stayed at this place and it was a good location. Cowtown RV Park, 7000 I-20 Frontage Rd, Aledo, TX 76008

cowtownrvpark.com

(817) 441-7878

Don't forget to visit Fort Worth

Bill

Well that steak is going to be a little ways away from you as it is only 750 miles to Amarillo from Mission.

When visiting your son in Weatherford can you stay at his house? I have stayed at this place and it was a good location. Cowtown RV Park, 7000 I-20 Frontage Rd, Aledo, TX 76008

cowtownrvpark.com

(817) 441-7878

Don't forget to visit Fort Worth

Bill

We have stayed at The Cow Town Park, only 2 miles from our son.

We recently returned home to California after visiting 30 different RV Parks/Resorts. Without a doubt, the best one we visited was AnchorDown RV Resort in Dandridge, TN. It's about 3 miles off I-40 on Douglas Lake. It's got it all, concrete pads, fireplaces, on the lake, pool and on and on!

Welcome to the forum.

nashvillejellystone.com

(615) 889-4225

Bill

Prior to our motor home days we actually stayed at the big Texan motel and have eaten at the steak ranch a couple of times. The 72 oz steak is huge and you also have to eat a baked potato, salad, roll and I can't remember for sure but maybe a shrimp cocktail as well. I didn't even try but the other steaks were good.

Welcome to the forum.

nashvillejellystone.com

(615) 889-4225

Bill

Did the same Bill in July 08. What a treat that trip was, loved the hole concept with the limo etc. That was the 1st long RV vacation my family ever took and I must say it wrote the book to where we are now. My kids were 6 and 8 at the time and the RV adventure was fresh to us and boy did we have a blast on that trip from PA to CA (Disneyland) and Back. Even though gas was $4.50 per gallon and our old class c was lucky to get 7.0 it was still a bunch of fun.

Last time in Nashville we stayed at the KOA next to the Jellystone Bill Mentioned above, it was a nice place also. I will never forget they had a Wine tasting at the pool at night for adults, the women serving it were handing out the cups.....1 for you...1 for me, oh and 1 for you sir and 1 more for me... :D we still laugh about that, another great trip!

Carl, it is about as far West from the Steak House as Overnight is East. Amarillo Ranch RV Park, 1414 Sunrise Dr., Amarillo, TX 79104, 866-244-7447. Same deal free ride to the steak house.

I haven't stayed there but might next time.

Bill

Last time there, I stayed 3 nights in Oasis RV Park, about 5 miles west of the loop. Nice place and it was easy for me to go where I needed and quiet!

Overnight is also a nice place...my dog liked the grass! Little awkward in a long coach to get in to!

Carl

We stayed at Amarillo Ranch RV Park. Once I Googled it and saw the photos it all came back to me. Decent place, no complaints. Looks like they upgraded their Caddy Limos. The one we rode in was early to mid 70's neat car!

Moved from another post....lets try this again.....sorry Brett

Seeking some advise......we are leaving Amarillo TX on a Wednesday morning that gives me WED, THURS, FRI, SAT and most of SUN to get home which is 26 hours of steering wheel time. Any recommendations along I-40 into TN to I-81 to kill some time. I mentioned Memphis to my DW, she shot that down due to high crime (please excuse the pun :D). I thought maybe spend a day in Nashville TN or Pigeon forge TN, but those are both been there done that spots. Looking for something else....Ideas?

Joe, as I suggested, there is a very quiet KOA off of I-40 West of Knoxville.  The sky way starts on Hwy 165/143 then take US 129 back or reverse it.  With taking photos and eating lunch and other pit stops, it's about a 6 hour + loop, all paved.  DON'T ATTEMPT IT IN YOUR COACH !!!  Actually they will not allow any RV on US 129, better known as The Tail or Dragons Tail. it's only 11 miles long with 318 curves and is now rather tame, as it is one way, every other day and they put in shoulder barriers!  I have done it twice, each way, before the for mentioned.:wacko: On my bike in 2007 and a Jeep in 2011. 

Carl, I'll look into that, thank you. Also considering Asheville NC, since I will only have one day, Asheville doesn't seem practical.

Going to Ashville Joe is worth one day. If nothing else go to the Biltmore, it is spectacular and historically amazing . You can spend a week there over all and more. The Omni Grove Park inn is also another terrific stop. Go up stairs and there is a picture wall on how it was built. People of the era were not afraid of work. The rocks were hauled down the mountain with huge teams of oxen and old time trucks

Carl refers to the "Tail or the Dragon"  it is "Tail of the Dragon" Yes it is quite the drive...we followed some idiot of a truck driver with a semi trailer down it, a real hassle because he caused quite a mess fortunately no one was hurt. At the time 5 or 6 years ago it was two way. Bikers loved it

Here are a couple of suggestions, Joe:

-  Brett's suggestion of Downtown Riverside, on the north bank of the AR River in Little Rock, is a Campground America CG.  However, I do not recommend the Clinton Library.
-  Off I 40, Exit 108 Parker's Crossroads, Yuma, TN.  About 110 miles east of Memphis.  
-  Farther east off I 40, Exit 360 Soaring Eagles, listed in Lenoir City, a little west of Knoxville.

Counterpoint on Presidential Library:  Irrespective of whether I have agreed with a President's politics, I have found it enlightening to look at their time in office through their eyes. 

So, we go to every one of them that is on/near our route. Have been through George H W Bush, Regan, Clinton, Lincoln and will do more as we get to areas where they are located.

If you are passing thru Memphis there is a great park on Arkansas side of Mississippi right on river. Tom Sawyer RV Park. You can camp within 100’ of the big muddy and watch the big boats go by.

Roland