bugden

Winterizing Ice Maker In Residential Frig

My owners manual has no directions on how to winterize the ice maker. The problem I see is how would you drain the lines leading to the ice maker maybe air? Would anti freeze be used?

F452573

Welcome to the forum.

First I would open the outside compartment door for the refrigerator and unplug one side of the Ice maker solenoid. Then allow the ice maker to clear the ice in the tray. This will insure that when you turn off the unit there wont be any Ice in the tray to melt and leave water in the unit all winter.

The water line to the should be insulated. I would place a piece of insulation inside the compartment and close the compartment door.

Now caution: Be sure the refrigerator is turned off and and the gas valve is turned off to the refridgerator (also in the same compartment).

When you are ready to de-winterize the fridge, Remove the insulation turn the gas back on (light the pilot light if you have one), replug the ice maker and turn the fridge back on. Be sure to clean the compartment and inspect for critters and dirt dobber nest.

Good luck and again welcome to the Forum.

Herman

I think he is talking about winterizing a residential refrigerator.

When I installed my residential refrigerator, I thought about that also because the only way to get to the water solenoid valve is to pull the refrigerator out. The valve is mounted on the base of the refrigerator with a sheet metal covering over it so its not accessible from the outside opening. Or at least its not on my MH. I considered relocating the valve so I would have access but since its stored in a building in the Houston area and we rarely get severe freezes I decided I can always drop a heat lamp in the compartment should the need arise.

I'm sure with all the units being built with residential refrigerators, someone has a good answer for the OP.

I would like to hear some thoughts on this as well. I have a Residential frig and I DO NOT have any outside access to back of the frig. It took me and a few calls to even figure out where the ice maker valve was to turn it on to get water to the ice maker. (it is under the kitchen sink) The line from the valve to the frig is probably 2 to 3 feet and I don't see any way to disconnect it nor do I really want to be pulling a line apart every time I want to winterize. I do have a low point drain and would assume (right or wrong) that is intended to get all the water out of my lines for cold storage. I am not sure if I should close the valve(ice maker water valve, what about the water in the line to the ice maker) and hook up air to the city water line and blow low pressure air thru the entire system or just add some antifreeze and pump it thru the entire coach. I hadn't thought about this but I have a whole coach water filter too, so do I need to isolate it or remove the filter? I am pretty sure I don't want antifreeze in my filter.

Certainly one way to do it would be to disconnect the water supply line (under sink, etc) and put it in a gallon of potable anti-freeze. Run it until the cubes are pink.

I installed a Samsung two years ago and also was concerned about winterizing. I ended up pumping antifreeze through the system and letting the frig make ice until it turned pink. We had 20 below temps that winter and all was well.

Also did the same with the washing machine (albeit, no ice got made there).

I think I used five gallons of antifreeze but that is a small price to pay for no frozen water lines.

Lenp

Ok Brett, Opps on you, Anti-Freeze doesn't freeze :wub: .

As you stated there has to be a shut off for the water supply to the Ice Maker. My suggestion is almost the same as I stated earlier. Turn off the water, Disconnect the line and allow it to drain into a pan. then allow the Ice Maker to cycle the cubes out of the maker and it will not refill since the water is turned off.

But another thought. If the unit was installed by the Manufacturer then the back of the unit will be insulated. If it is a replacement of a RV unit then there should be access to the Rear of the fridge and a shut off, if not then one should be installed. Again shut off the water cycle the ice out of the maker.

On a replacement unit I would place an pad of insulation to the opening and close the hatch.

Herman

Trying to figure out how to winterize ice maker in Samsung Refrigerator in 2016 35K Fleetwood Bounder? No exterior access panel. Inconvenient to move frig. Know that solenoid valve will freeze if not totally drained.

lewp,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

One option is to disconnect the water supply line as close to the refrigerator as you can easily access it.  Drain what you can.  Apply 20 PSI of air pressure and turn on the ice maker.  Let it operate until you hear air hissing in the ice maker when the solenoid opens.

I love winterizing with air pressure but as Brett mentions above, you need to find and drain the line to the ice maker at its source to ensure there is no water left in this line.  I did not and I paid the price (I full time and you should have seen the ice water fall that was created!) but I never will again.  Don't leave any possibility of a problem as it absolutely will become a problem.

I have reliable power and winterize mostly with light bulbs.  Two 60 watt bulbs where ever I need to protect against freezing...refer, Aqua Hot, water bay, W/D, and pink stuff in the electric toilets.

My coach has a connection for pumping antifreeze in with on board pump. After flushing the system just leave the pump on with a jug of antifreeze for a couple of ice cycles when the ice/slush is pink you should be all set.