Sign in to follow this  
MarYJac04

Front Hub Removal

I am trying to check the gear oil level on my wet front wheel bearings, but do not know how to remove the Wheel Master center hub on Alcoa Aluminum wheels. I do not want to start by attempting to pry it off just in case that is the wrong procedure. Can anyone help. It is a 2002 Workhorse w22 chassis.

Mine are removed with the simple twist of straight blade screwdriver. When replacing them, adjust the feet for a snug fit. Replacements can usually be found at bigger truck stops. I bought two recently for just over $16. If you need oil, check for leaks front and back.

Yes, signs of leaking wet hub:

Smell gear oil smell (high sulfur content) near the front wheels.

Radial oil or dirt "tracks" from center of hub radiating out over wheel and in severe cases, tire. This would be from a failed inspection plug or outer seal.

The inner seal can also fail and will result in oil saturating the brake pads/shoes.

One of the prime causes of a leak is an out of spec wheel bearing clearance: too tight generates heat, too loose allows wear from hub "wobble".

On large-size vehicles, a dial indicator is needed to properly set end-play. Specs are generally in the .001-.005".

Be aware that a leak can be a SIGNIFICANT SAFETY RISK. The hub only has a few ounces of oil. If that leak out the bearings have no lubrication and can SEIZE WHILE DRIVING. This can result in overheating the spindle to the point that it crystallizes and breaks. Had an example of this on another forum just this year. Wheel and hub came off while driving!!! Nuf said!

That is the information I needed. Thank you for the responses. There was a small amount of oil which leaked from under the hub, nothing in the back.

Will likely be a couple of days before I can look at it. Will let you know what I find.

The small leak I saw evidence of was caused by a too high oil level. It is right up to the plug. I'm guessing when I came down through the Nevada desert, the heat just expanded it enough to seep some.