wildebill308

Surge Protector Saved Me One More Time

Well my surge protector saved me one more time. Stopped off at Galveston Island State park on the way home from the FMCA 6 state rally in Conroe.

Plugged my Surge Guard in and got a reading of Reverse Polarity and bad ground. Called the office and they worked on it for a while then told me it was good. Well the Surge Guard was still giving me the same report. So I ended up moving to s different spot.

I am still amazed at how many people tell me they never had a problem and don’t need a Surge Guard or some other protection for their rigs.

This reminds me of the old saying “Pay me now or pay me latter”. If you don’t have a Surge Guard you may be paying a lot latter.

Bill

Ditto above comments - I've experienced several Reverse Polarity issues and move to another spot or have RV Park repair pedestal --

Bill, I use mine eveytime since I had a problem at a campground a few years ago. I have friends that do not have one and have no intension of purchasing one, it baffles me. Trust me, when you are eating breakfast with the family and you smell burning electrical on a holiday it is a sure way of destroying your vacation, take it from me. Like I said.....never again will I trust a tower without a surge protector.

Ours saved us in Alaska in 2012. When we plugged in, everything was fine. Sometime 2 days later, we lost power and I started checking everything out. No lights on the Surge Guard. Ran my extension to another pedestal that was in use by another coach and still no power. At that point, it appeared something had happened to my Surge Guard. Went back to the original pedestal to check things out - one knee on the ground (damp) I put my arm on top of the power pedestal and received a nice shock. Campground moved us to a new site and I had to bypass the Surge Guard for a while but I am sure it saved a lot of electronic equipment.

As soon as I could get a replacement was a week - I was really nervous until I got it installed.

I made my own circuit tester. I use it every time I am ready to connect to shore power. It is a simple volt meter receptacle tester. The one in the picture is for 30 amp. I also have one for 50 amp. I may have 20 bucks in both. (I had most of the parts in my junk drawer). I have used them many times at Six-State.

My coach has a built-in surge guard. It protect from things such as lightning and such.