Sign in to follow this  
GREGSHERWOOD

Data Satellite

In need of help. Have NO idea. My wife can work remotely for her job BUT, HAS TO HAVE reliable internet service. Would like an in motion system so she can work while we are traveling. I have heard about Hughes but don't know anything about them.

I put up with Hughesnet, formerly Direcpc for 14 years. An in motion dish can be gotten for enough money, but the most economical system is to use the cell phone providers, Verizon, or ATT, and some more come to mind.

Anywhere your cell phone works the MiFi, that is the Verizon version, not sure what others call theirs. There are also signal boosters available that can greatly enhance the service inside your motorhome, these work for the cell phones

also, as it is just a repeating device.

For years we have used cell modems for internet service. Things have gotten better but depending on where you do most of your travel, you will find a few to many gaps in coverage. If you mean dependable service nationwide "8 to 5" it won't be available via cell modems. If most of the time will work, you can go with cell modems. I don't think there is an in-motion satellite service for internet.

If you absolutely have to have 100 percent coverage at all times riding down the road I think you're out of luck. But if you could accept some downtime then your best bet would be to go with both a Verizon hotspot and an ATT hotspot to insure the best possible up-time when on the road. (And of course you would have to travel on roads offering cell phone coverage.)

There is no in-motion internet satellite dish available as a consumer product. Perhaps if you could talk in terms of tens of thousands of dollars for equipment and service it might be possible as a commercial product

Recently, though, two fixed position Internet dishes have become available. One is offered by a company back in I believe Virginia that costs 5,000 dollars and must be mounted on the roof of your RV. I believe it automatically locks on to the satellite. And they seem to have very favorable service terms so far as bandwidth cost and a minimal service contract requirement.

The other newly available service seems to cost around $1,000 for a standard tripod dish type arrangement in which you must manually lock onto a spot beam satellite. Apparently it can be a bit time consuming to do that and requires some training. Data costs extra of course.

Going to a dish would only be if you wanted to boondock away from cell towers. Hope this gives you approximate idea of your choices.

Perhaps somebody into internet service on the road more than I am could suggest some better solutions.