Sign in to follow this  
aldebruijn

RV'ing When It Freezes, What To Do?

Looking for some advice/tips.

As winter is approaching we realize we know nothing about being prepared for freezing conditions when in our motorhome (which we purchased this year, so this is a new experience for us).

Can any of you tell us what we should do/know when parked on some RV Park and it freezes?

We have a 42 ft Safari Panther with Aquahot system. I worry about things like water hose, holding tanks, etc.

I would love to hear what you do when you find yourself in the cold.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Albert

PS. I realize that "heading South" is an option to avoid this completely :)

For temporary overnight type of freezing I just bring in the water hose and run off my fresh water tank.

For more serious freezing you or the campground have to be sure the source stays available and is protected/freeze proof.

My utility bay and tanks are "heated" which means a furnace vent sends forced hot air in their direction. However it does require running the furnace more than we like. Normally we prefer cube space heaters or our Wave-6 portable propane heater which do nothing for the tanks.

You will find condensation to be a problem on walls, windows and hidden in closets. I have used a Canadian made low wattage closet heater and like it very much. http://www.amazon.com/Caframo-Limited-Stor-Dry-Warm-Circulator/dp/B0009L675W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1444984962&sr=8-4&keywords=closet+heater It has a low wattage heater and a small fan which keeps the closet contents nice and warm.

Amazon has several suppliers of heated hose. I just ordered my first but I opted to go with this company: http://www.nofreezewaterhose.com/

In the past I ran a separate extension cord to the basement to run 100watt trouble lights in the sewer and utility compartments. This year I am trying a more dependable heat source: http://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instruments-Air-Dryr-500-Dryer/dp/B000B7MU9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444984962&sr=8-1&keywords=closet+heater The smaller one appears to be more than adequate.

Good luck.

Albert,

Welcome to the Forum.

In cold weather I will make sure my fresh water tank is full. Then discount the hose and stow it. Since you have an Aqua Hot system your tank bays are protected. Be sure your system is working and your fuel tank is full.

Just a side note, be sure and operate your Aqua Hot at least once a month and have it serviced once a year.

Herman

One way to handle the hose connection when temperatures are not too cold is to simply put pipe insulation available at hardware stores in a variety of sizes. Then if you have an open sewer connection you can leave a faucet or two dripping to keep the water in the hose moving. I've looked at heated hoses and the ones I saw were quite bulky so I've never used them.

I always open cabinets that have plumbing under them to allow heated air to keep the pipes warm. Make sure that the ice-maker feed tube for the refrigerator is protected.

Look at the basement plumbing and the sources of heat in the basement. You may not have to worry about the plumbing, our coach has heat sources built in that keep the waste and water supply pipes well above ambient outside air temperature. Our water tank has a heating pad installed on the bottom of the tank. It is part of a winterizing kit that was factory installed. There should be after-market versions available.

Electric heating sources are high wattage consumers and will require an AC source or a huge battery bank for operation for an entire night. Be very careful with heaters, light bulbs, etc. used for heat. Keep them well away from all possible combustibles and check them frequently to ensure that nothing is being discolored or melted by the heat source. I would use extreme caution with any heat source that involves a flame. Batteries release hydrogen gas, the fuel tank vents combustible vapors and heat sources with flames emit carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide. The latter is the killer.

Dealing with condensation on walls involves good insulation in the walls of the motor home and minimizing moisture in the air in the coach. I would expect that your coach has good insulation. Vent all cooking moisture from the coach as it is produced. Dry the shower thoroughly immediately after use, use a squeegee to wipe all the water down the drain. Minimize moisture from wet towels and clothing by hanging them outdoors if possible. If not possible, store them in a plastic bag for the night and dry them the next day. Surprisingly, cold air from outdoors is quite dry and is the best way to dry the air in the motor home. Ventilate and then heat the cold air from outdoors. The wet air goes out and the dry air comes in. Heating the air makes it even drier. All this will minimize condensation on walls. Windows if double pane insulated won't fog but the windshield is likely to fog up except for the driest air. Place rolled towels on the dash at the bottom of the windshield and they will collect the water that drains off rather than letting it get to the dash itself.

With the Aqua-hot system, you should be fine even if weather stays in the low teens.... your entire lower compartments should be kept above 52 with the thermostat in that area,( including the tanks and all water lines that runs thru those areas).. just make sure your water lines is unhooked from campground water faucet and stored ...........your in house heat from the system should easily keep the coach warm also...

For temporary overnight type of freezing I just bring in the water hose and run off my fresh water tank.

For more serious freezing you or the campground have to be sure the source stays available and is protected/freeze proof.

My utility bay and tanks are "heated" which means a furnace vent sends forced hot air in their direction. However it does require running the furnace more than we like. Normally we prefer cube space heaters or our Wave-6 portable propane heater which do nothing for the tanks.

You will find condensation to be a problem on walls, windows and hidden in closets. I have used a Canadian made low wattage closet heater and like it very much. http://www.amazon.com/Caframo-Limited-Stor-Dry-Warm-Circulator/dp/B0009L675W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1444984962&sr=8-4&keywords=closet+heater It has a low wattage heater and a small fan which keeps the closet contents nice and warm.

Amazon has several suppliers of heated hose. I just ordered my first but I opted to go with this company: http://www.nofreezewaterhose.com/

In the past I ran a separate extension cord to the basement to run 100watt trouble lights in the sewer and utility compartments. This year I am trying a more dependable heat source: http://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instruments-Air-Dryr-500-Dryer/dp/B000B7MU9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444984962&sr=8-1&keywords=closet+heater The smaller one appears to be more than adequate.

Good luck.

The two units you posted links to are dehumidifiers and will not prevent freezing as they don't provide enough heat.

This is what I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Holmes-Compact-Ceramic-Heater-Thermostat/dp/B000V50GI0

Bill