csims2

Preparing Coach To Sell-- What To Spend $$ On

Wondering what's worthwhile to do before putting my motorhome on the market. It's a 2005 Winnebago Journey. Wife thinks I need to replace spotted carpet, I am wondering about the nose cap - it had a film over it that is now really ugly (crazed, dark brown). Shop advised me that the best removal process will mess up paint underneath which means $$$ and I'm inclined to doing it but not sure the return is there.

What do you think on these two areas?

Also we had dogs with us and they shed big time. Just vacuuming and wipe down doesn't get the hair out of lots of places. Opinions? Does it matter a lot?

Thanks for any advice.

csims2,

If you were down this way I would suggest taking your coach into Motor Homes of Texas in Nacogdoches, Texas and have it detailed inside and out. They can make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Herman

Okay, I'm going to tell on myself:

Several years ago we had a big dog that went on to doggy heaven. I was newly retired and DW was still working. She asked if I could do a good house cleaning to get all the dog hair out. The vacuum just wasn't cutting in (we have all porcelain tile floors in the S&B)

So, I opened all the windows and screens, got out the leaf blower and went to town. You cannot imagine the hair and dust that flew out those windows. Hey! Don't laugh, it worked. Then I closed all the screens and windows and used the standard methods. Very little was picked up after using the leaf blower.

Just call me lazy!

On the front being ugly where the shield was removed, you might want to talk with a local sign shop about covering it with vinyl wrap. I used it on the entire bus, have had many compliments.

It was a lot less expensive than having the bus repainted, expected life expectancy, 10 years.

The dog hair will turn many prospective buyers off, even dog lovers...it's not their dog. I'd get rid of the dog hair, leave the front alone and clean the carpet. If you can't get the carpet clean, have it done professionally.

The film on the front is mostly likely from 3M and can be removed with a garment steamer, plastic razor blades and a lot of work. We had an estimate of $700 to remove ours. Wife and I did it over several days without any paint damage. Only some small chips that were held in place by the film fell out. I think it is a huge visual distraction for a uninformed buyer but it didn't stop us. Repainting the front can run from $700 up depending on the paint scheme. If you choose not to remove it I would expect and a lower offer reflecting the repair cost.

Not sure how you are trying to sell the coach (craigslist, ebay, for sale sign, consignment, etc.), but if you are posting photos online, be sure to remove clutter and personal items.

I like to look at coaches online for sale just to keep abreast of the prices, and a big turn off is to see a very lived in coach, clutter, unmade beds, tools out near the engine, etc. Also, overdone personalized items (bunny rabbit motif curtans, slip covers, blankets, pot holders, etc.) throughout the coach can be a negative.

Stage it like a house for sale with nutural items that appeal to the masses.

As far as the nose cap, would a dark vinyl bra cover it?

csims2,

If you were down this way I would suggest taking your coach into Motor Homes of Texas in Nacogdoches, Texas and have it detailed inside and out. They can make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Herman

Until about 3 years ago we did live down that way and I might have taken up your suggestion: But now we are in rural Mid-Tenn so not much about.

On the front being ugly where the shield was removed, you might want to talk with a local sign shop about covering it with vinyl wrap. I used it on the entire bus, have had many compliments.

It was a lot less expensive than having the bus repainted, expected life expectancy, 10 years.

Thanks, I'm looking into it - but it does seem that life expectancy predictions vary widely.

The dog hair will turn many prospective buyers off, even dog lovers...it's not their dog. I'd get rid of the dog hair, leave the front alone and clean the carpet. If you can't get the carpet clean, have it done professionally.

this one's on the list but when you'd swear it's clean, it comes out of some vent or from some crack or crevice you missed - maybe out of some fifth dimension.