chp007kd40

Update On Camping World Fiasco

When I was looking for another class A coach, Camping World in Calera, Al. Internet Listed one that interested me. I called and got the sales Guy's recording... He quoted his email addy so I sent him an email with three simple direct questions about his product. I then called back and told him (on his voicemail) that he had email and I was a seriously interested customer. I never got a reply... That store is no longer open.... I wonder why???

jbrunson.

Don't know what you have now, or what your looking for, but if I lived in Troy, I would go to Tiffin in Red Bay, Al. From what I hear,

Tiffin has got their act together again! They had a lot of problems in 2011 and I got caught in the middle... :( That said, I would buy

again from Bob again.

Carl

Bought a 36' Beaver Monterey about 5 months ago. I understand Red Bay also has a parts store near Tiffin.... Eventually will get there to look at some new furniture... Tiffin is very popular here in the southeastern US-

When I was looking for another class A coach, Camping World in Calera, Al. Internet Listed one that interested me. I called and got the sales Guy's recording... He quoted his email addy so I sent him an email with three simple direct questions about his product. I then called back and told him (on his voicemail) that he had email and I was a seriously interested customer. I never got a reply... That store is no longer open.... I wonder why???

I was in that store a week ago to buy some grommets for my stove, so it is still open, for what that's worth. I still wouldn't buy an RV from them, or go there for service.

I guess the best analysis I have read is the "High Volume" thing..... Be advised tho~ the prices are high also. This is on parts, service, and RV's. My dad bought a motorhome there, and I have purchased a Honda Generator there... but in both cases we went into the deal knowing that any recourse whatsoever on the purchase would not be with the retailer. You can get a much better value for your money elsewhere most of the time... Because of financial necessity, I am forced to choose other options; that is to say our budget simply does not allow for camping world type transactions. I simply do not possess the extra cash required to deal with their service or sales people. They go for the low hanging fruit.

Recently in another post and another forum, the statement was made that if you were going to run a motorhome, you had to spend loads of cash to do it. My analysis is quite different- if you are willing to educate yourself on maintenance issues and shop carefully for your coach, you can get by for much less than 33% of what someone who hires everything done spends to operate and maintain a RV. But you have to stay away from camping world to pull it off.

Only go to CW for stuff in the store, no service ever.

Yes, that's what I do...and only then if I can't find it elsewhere due to their very high prices.

The $$$ goes up for "RV" and "Marine" items. I find most things at Home Depot, Lowes and Wall Mart for a lot less!

Carl

In our area, I went to go the CW, in Denton, TX, for all the trinkets I thought I had to have when we first started. Never for any work of any kind. As Carl says I go to HD, Lowes and Wally World for most every thing I need. If there is a repair part I need I either go United RV in Haltom City (Ft. Worth) or online. I have found that PPL in Houston has a good parts selection. Most work I can do, I do myself with the help from the Forum. All other work goes to shops that I know and trust.

Herman

I would agree with Herman. There is a mountain of things you all can do with out writing a big check. At the worst it requires making a statement like: I do not know how to: It has never taken any skin of my nose to admit a lack of knowledge. There are many of us here that you see repeatedly answering some purportedly dumb questions over and over. But the real fact is that the only dumb question was the one you never asked. There are untold dollars to be saved by using this forum for your fiscal gain and learning pleasure. I am 70 years old, and not a big guy, Herman may be older, and bigger, are you Herman, and we are still doing the majority of our own maintenance. I change my tires by myself, roll'em around, put them back on, I do not lay them down, dumb and heavy. I have changed the tires on the rims, dumb. I changed the brake rotors and yes they were heavy, made sure they did not go all the way to the ground either. The point here is try, ask questions take a little risk on your own behalf. Tools are inexpensive at Harbor Freight and Home Depot with lifetime warranties. If you screw up yell at yourself and learn...FUN It is a lot less frustrating than paying professionals to learn at your expense.

Bill

Bill.

Don't know what your driving, but it will be a hot day in h....before I roll 315 and 295/80's around ! <_<:rolleyes: Since I'm tall, 6' 8", the first thing that goes out is my back!

I leave anything over 100# and crawling around the roof, underside of coach to professionals! :) Yes Bill, Herman and I are both older than you!

I do most of the inside myself, batteries (I can sit on a stool), some engine and generator work, electrical and plumbing!

I do agree that if it had not been for the Forum I would have done much less! There is no such thing as a "Dumb" or "Stupid" question! :lol:

Everything in life is a learning curve... <_<:)

Carl

Bill,

I'm impressed that you will change your own tires. That is one of those things, for me, better left to the younger pros. As I have aged, 78, I have learned that there are many things that I do needed better (easier) ways to do them. I don't squat down to do things, I either use a mechanics stool or a kneeling pad with handles. One thing I use when filling my batteries is a pump up sprayer. I got a new one, removed the nozzle and fill it with distilled water. When I need to service my batteries I just pump up the sprayer and top off each cell. When doing the heavy jobs, it helps to have two healthy son living close by.

I disagree with Carl, there is one "Dumb" question. I ask it to myself often, "Why didn't I ask someone?".

Keep up your health so you can keep on traveling.

Herman

Interesting discussion. I do my own oil changes in both our cars, but don't want to get on a dolly and dump 40 quarts of MH oil into something, then lug it off to Wal Mart to recycle. I lubed our previous DP once, that was enough, not only a huge mess, but I missed a number of zerk fittings. I found a mom and pop diesel shop where I take them the oil (from Sams) and filter. For $65 they change the oi/filter, dispose of both and lube it.

Found out later they burn the used oil in a furnace that heats their shop.

Another thing I like about this shop is they encourage the customer to walk around the area, watch what they do and will listed to suggestions...like pointing out a hard to find zerk fitting or asking that they be sure to lube both ends of the drive shaft.

Our previous AC was on a Spartan, where the last bay, curb side, was a filter bay. I could sit on a stool and change both fuel filters as well as one of the two hydraulic filters. This coach is on a Freightliner, not only does it have three fuel filters, but there is no filter bay and all filters are on the engine...I can't even see them much less change them.

I rotate the tires on our cars and did it when we had a dually to haul a big 5th wheel. I can't even imagine working on these tires. I'd need big time tools...jack, wrenches, torque wrench, etc. Plus there is no reason to do anything to them...no need to rotate and, if one is flat, that's what GS Road Service is for.

AC has solved the battery maintenance issue...AGMs all around.

FIVE, wait until you need to change them out $2,400 at Lazydays & that is cheap!

Have a friend in SWG INTO, has a 14' used Eagle and had to change out his last year, don't remember why, but it had something to do with a trip to Alaska! He decided to do it himself: Batteries $1,200, having them installed (he forgot to note where each cable went) $800, saved $200.

But the Chiropractor for his back was 6 weeks, 3X per week at $40 per visit $720 and 2 months off no golf !!! They live behind the 7th green at Lake Windermere, FL.

He now lets the Pro's do everything...with the DW's blessing!

Carl

FIVE, wait until you need to change them out $2,400 at Lazydays & that is cheap!

Have a friend in SWG INTO, has a 14' used Eagle and had to change out his last year, don't remember why, but it had something to do with a trip to Alaska! He decided to do it himself: Batteries $1,200, having them installed (he forgot to note where each cable went) $800, saved $200.

But the Chiropractor for his back was 6 weeks, 3X per week at $40 per visit $720 and 2 months off no golf !!! They live behind the 7th green at Lake Windermere, FL.

He now lets the Pro's do everything...with the DW's blessing!

Carl

AGMs in the old coach lasted seven years, replaced them (4) for $1,200...right in line with your $2,400 It's worth the money when you can put them in and forget about them.

FIVE,

You'll get no argument from me on that...I will put in the same, when it's time! The original owner, replaced all off the batteries and new cables, just prior to trade in! He got an Eagle....the only batteries I replaced with AGM was chassis & they are difficult to get too!

The slide out tray works fine, after you take the hydraulic struts off the door!!! :angry:

I figure I have 2 more years...hopefully!

Carl

Roy

PPL started as Consignment RV Dealer. They have sections for Motor Homes, Travel Trailers and Fifth Wheels. They have service facilities and a RV store. Along with that they have a great RV Parts Department. Their only draw back is that they need a couple more folks on the Parts Dept. phones. They have three locations, Houston, New Braunfels and a new location in Cleburne. They all have consignments and a RV Store but only Houston has the Parts Department.

Goggle them.

Herman

Herman, Carl,Dave Atherton

I have to admit my Safari Zanzibar is a lighter coach, as is the 1999 Safari Panther I just bought and correspondingly lighter rubber under them than your comparatively larger coaches. I have too as well, admit I would likely not do a tire change on one of them either. I apologize for using that as an example. I did not realize what a response I would generate. For me I have had poor luck at CW, having had tires stolen, at TCI, tires stolen...too many details makes for a long story.

The point I was trying to make was that there are many repairs being paid for with disappointing results. This forum exists because you three and others like you take the time and lots of it, to ask and answer many varied and repetitive questions about a multitude of vehicles, both new and old but predominately out of warranty older coaches. With this forum and help from many of the retired and not so tired professionals, individuals could easily make many more repairs or go to service facilities fore-armed as to what to expect and how some of these services should be preformed. Justifiably, folks react negatively after unsatisfactory repairs have been made.

I can tell you that one only has at best a 50% chance that a given job will be done correctly the first time. Out of the other 50%, 50% of them will do it right and fairly, that leaves only 25% of the whole that will get it right and charge a fair amount every time. If the consumer would be proactive in his or her education or knowledge of the subject matter, the results would likely be better. If more people took advantage, prior to repairs being made, of the forum and of fellas like you Carl, Herman, Dave Atherton (Cat diesel guy),and made the effort to make some of the repairs themselves, check books would be heavier and they would be much happier probably a little frustrated along the way as well but in the end...just sayin

Thank you Herman and wild Bill. Herman Wild Bill posted a link to ppl I went online and checked them out already. Thanks again

Here in Florida is similar problems. Camping World seems unable to obtain or get the best mechanics and technicians. Probably too many techs leaving to go to better paying companies.

"If the consumer would be proactive in his or her education or knowledge of the subject matter, the results would likely be better"

1) The results would "definitely" be better.

2) When new buyers are told to focus on the floor plan, you can expect a lot of buyer remorse.

3) All of these less proactive experiences are par for the course across all the RV forums.

4) One of the advantages of a 5th wheel is not having to leave your "whole" motorhome at a dealership.

5) Also really a great idea is to work with smaller local repair shops.

6) I spent 3 weeks at an RV dealership in the service dept as part of my hands on training. I learned that it all begins and ends with the service advisor. If they don't like or respect you, they will let your service experience suffer.

7) Don't focus on Camping World, focus on the service advisor...it is about human beings, nor corporations.

8) One advantage of buying used and not buying an extended warranty is to take more personal responsibility for either doing the repairs yourself or finding a good local repair shop to take care of you.

9 ) The pay in the industry is too low for the technicians, the training of qualified technicians is not keeping up with demand, and the RV buyers are seen by the industry, for the most part, as owners of luxury entertainment items. Since the owners are lined up, and many owners are too trusting, the service departments can get away with quite a bit.

Most owners are easy to b.s.

They may have a lot of experience, but they often don't know much about the technical aspects of what they drive and how a service/parts dept works. And don't have the lemon law protections.

Great advice. In the past the service adviser has been part of the problem.  Poor documenting of the service request , this occurred with Genergy RV in Wayland, Michigan where I purchased my RV . Gary Bunzer  the RV DOCTOR recommend talking directly with the service tech that is going to do the service, but I have not been successful in doing this.