oynex

Front End Noise

I have a 2004 Winnebago Itasca Horizon. The front end bangs when I go over the smallest of bumps and I have already replaced the shocks and checked tire pressure.

Start with Grill attachment points, then see if Jacks are rattling in their brackets, onto smaller frame welds that may have stressed apart. End up with checking for broken springs. Good luck. Oh Ya, anything loose in the basement?

In a previous coach we had similar noises under the passenger's seat. Long story short...many missing and broken welds.

Thanks for the reply but it is more of a solid metal noise. Jacks and grill are fine welds look ok don't have springs it's air ride and last I checked the basement.

Oynex, Welcome to the Forum.

Independent front suspension or solid axle. If independent check ball joints and upper & lower bushings. Solid axle check for loose king pins. Also check for loose drag link,tie rod and every other part of the steering linkage.

?missing any golf clubs?:-)

Herman

Oynex,

When checking the front end check the mounting bolts on both upper and lower shafts. Loose upper bolts will cause loss of alignment shims and allow shafts to shift and bang when bounced.

Herman

I have a 2005 Journey and have the same issue. When I hit a bump in the road it sounds like metal to metal hitting, I have 2 bolts

in the front that have rubber bushing but none on the top just the bottom.

BigBen.

Have you checked all the above? Also, is your generator on a slide out in front? I had a Tour 07' that one of the latches had broke off. By the time I could get to a garage, the other one failed and the whole unit came all the way out whenever I stopped! I think I was responsible for a few wet seats in the cars!

Carl

Bigben,

Are you talking about the sway bar end link bushings (two missing). There should be a total of 8: 2 below sway bar, 2 above sway bar. 2 below chassis frame rail, two above.

If any are missing or even badly worn, it would sure make a racket.

Replace with polyurethane bushings. A very easy job.

BigBen.

Have you checked all the above? Also, is your generator on a slide out in front? I had a Tour 07' that one of the latches had broke off. By the time I could get to a garage, the other one failed and the whole unit came all the way out whenever I stopped! I think I was responsible for a few wet seats in the cars!

Carl

Our last coach had a manual gen slide in the front. I forgot to lock it once, and when the coach stopped...the generator kept going. Fortunately, I had stopped far enough back from the guy in front of us so we did not hit him...think we got his attention though. :D

IN REPLY TO WHERE IS OYNEX. HERE I AM AND JUST RETURNED FROM PERRY,GA. I MEET WITH THE PEOPLE THERE AT THE FREIGHTLINER CHASSIS BOOTH AREA. IT WAS ONE OF THE MOST INFORMATION FILLED EXPERIENCES I HAVE HAD. VERY WELL TRAINED PEOPLE THERE AND ANSWERED ALL MY QUESTIONS WITHOUT HESITATION. THE ANSWER TO THE ORIGINAL POST IT IS MY AIR RIDE HEIGHT THAT IS/WAS A PROBLEM. WHEN GOING OVER ALMOST ANY BUMP THE STOPS IN THE AIR BAG WAS HITTING. ADJUSTING THE RIDE HEIGHT TO THE FACTORY SPECS. SOLVED THE PROBLEM. I TRIED TO GET INTO GAFFNEY FOR SERVICE BUT FYI THEY BOOK ABOUT TWO MONTHS OUT. THE OTHER ISSUES I HAD QUESTIONED WERE ANSWERED WITH GREAT DETAIL. FROM MY EXPERIENCE IT IS WORTH THE TIME TO PICK THE BRAINS OF THESE PEOPLE IF YOU GET A CHANCE TO SEE THEM AT A RALLY.

SORRY ABOUT SOME OF THE GRAMMER AND SPELLING STILL A LITTLE TIRED FROM THE 1000 PLUS MILE TRIP