msu1966

Winter Cover: Advantage Or Problem For Outside RV Storage

I have found conflicting advice on using a cover during the winter while my RV is stored outside in Michigan. Several times I have read that a cover will just attract mice and other rodents and the wind will could cause the cover to rub on the RV and possibly create wear damage to the roof, etc.

I know that the cover needs to allow air to breath through it so that mold does not form on the RV.

Please way in on your experience on this topic.

Thank you,

Ken

I've never had a cover...but then I've never lived in Michigan. There are many other considerations than those mentioned...where will you store the cover when using the MH? How will you get the cover on top of the MH to put it on...they are big, bulky and heavy? The wind can cause two types of damage...a rubbed spot on the MH or a rubbed hole in the cover. IMHO, covered storage is better...much more expensive, but much better.

Good luck.

I bought one long ago and found it very hard to put on when it is windy and try to take off. I would not endorse getting one if you don't have a very strong person to help . As Five suggested a covered storage area is much better to try to invest in.

Good Luck and Regards,

Michael

I recently bought an all climate cover for my RV. I store it on my land, and will be building a carport to store it under eventually. It is very heavy but I can get it up on top with minimal effort. Mine has heavy top with well vented sides and air flow vents all around.

Two zipper areas on the door side to allow access while it is on the RV. I've already had it on once and will be putting it on after I do good power wash. I see no rubbing issue as it has bungee straps for front and rear as well as pull straps that go across the under side. I am not sure how it would be a rodent issue but i have two outside cats. LOL

Here is the exact cover I purchased:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/elements-all-climate-rv-cover-class-a-34-37/69267

I have had some windy days while it was on the RV and saw very little movement that would concern me on my coach and any rubbing. It protects from snow and ice and UV the most damaging for the outside of the coach, as well as keeps it from heating up and provides some external insulation factor. I keep my coach plugged into a 20 AMP service as well.

Just my thoughts.

msu1966,

I spent a small fortune on a brand name RV cover on the last coach and this one, both scratched the coaches (all 4 corners) and were a pain to install, remove and store when not in use.

I gave up, this year I cleaned the unit and had it waxed....no more cover for me. Funny you mentioned the mice, I only have ever experienced mice when it was covered and I never made the connection until I just read this post. <_<