judatt

Motor Home Rental

Greetings, everyone. Thanks for your great advice on another thread - great input. Several people have recommended renting a MH prior to purchase. My local dealer is huge - but they don't rent. In fact, they go so far as to say just go ahead and buy. I'm taking that with the proverbial grain of salt as I know they want to make a sale - not necessarily just rent me one for a few days.

So, my question - does anyone have any good recommendations where I can rent a class A similar to what we are looking at. How long is long enough to help us make a good decision - 1 week? 2 weeks?

Also, any idea what renting a MH should cost. I'm assuming a daily/weekly charge plus mileage?

Thanks for your input. David

David,

Let us know where you are/where you are interested in renting-- that may help with meaningful responses.

That would be helpful, wouldn't it. We are in Richmond, VA and would like to rent someplace close to here if possible. Our local dealer is McGeorge RV and they have indicated they don't rent (although there is a sign up that says rentals they indicate they don't rent anymore). Thanks. David

Greetings, everyone. Thanks for your great advice on another thread - great input. Several people have recommended renting a MH prior to purchase. My local dealer is huge - but they don't rent. In fact, they go so far as to say just go ahead and buy. I'm taking that with the proverbial grain of salt as I know they want to make a sale - not necessarily just rent me one for a few days.

So, my question - does anyone have any good recommendations where I can rent a class A similar to what we are looking at. How long is long enough to help us make a good decision - 1 week? 2 weeks?

Also, any idea what renting a MH should cost. I'm assuming a daily/weekly charge plus mileage?

Thanks for your input. David

Not that familiar with the Richmond, VA area. What are you looking for gas or diesel? There are a couple of places but I don't think they rent class A coaches. You might call and see if they know of anyone. Cruise America (804) 658-1422 Or Freedom RV 804-798-3379. Good luck.

Bill

The last time I checked Class C rentals ran over $1000 per week. There may have been other charges for mileage, insurance and so forth.

I did see a Class A diesel at 350 a day locally. Yes it may be expensive but cheaper than buying then 4-6 mouths later selling at a big discount.

Bill

My opinion is:" If you are willing to let a stranger use your toothbrush, then go ahead and let someone rent your coach".

Personally---NEVER--Not my toothbrush or my coach!!

Traveling in a Class C is in no way comparable to traveling or living in a Class A coach. We rented Class C coaches for our trip through New Zealand and Australia. The cost there was about $5000 per month. Still way cheaper and more convenient for exploring than hotels. At best it was roughing it. We endured it because it was a grand adventure but what we really looked forward to was getting back into our own Class A! Rent a Class C for budget considerations but the experience is completely different in a Class A. I also suspect that the experience will be much more fulfilling in your own Class A than packing a few things into a rental Class A for a week or two. Keep in mind also that you will "learn" your own coach in a way that you can never 'learn" a rental. The first week will bring a host of challenges, learning about the operations of the coach. As you live and or travel in the coach for a longer period of time, each week brings fewer lessons and more enjoyment. Still, you never stop learning!

I agree that while the rental fee for a Class C or a Class A is steep, considering the price of the purchase and what you stand to loose if it doesn't work out, renting is a good way to get into motor homes. We chose to purchase an older used coach. We lived in it for about 2 1/2 years before purchasing our first (and so far only) new coach. Used coaches have a much lower price and the depreciation curve is not as steep.

We have used our coaches to their max, living full time for almost 10 years and still getting out to see new territory every summer for the entire summer. Factor in how often you expect to use the coach, it's an expensive toy if you use it only a few weeks a year.

And, no, my toothbrush isn't for rent either!

When we were sure wanted to try a motorhome we brought a older used 16 year old class A. We used it for three years and didn't lose much when traded in for what we have now. I'm thinking if it wasn't a trade in and and not three years later I may of got what we paid for it.

I am in the process of buying a Class A DP. I too got the advice about renting before we buy. I think that is sound advice if you can rent a unit that is very close to the unit you will purchase. I did not choose to rent for several reasons:

1. We have owned a travel trailer, so we know we like camping. We know we want to travel numerous weekends (Senior son may play college football for a college that has most of their games within 400-500 miles) and two long trips per year (In laws 2000 miles away and we need to see them at least once a year). And we know we want to travel much more in a few years when we retire.

2. Renting a DP is difficult in our area and expensive (~$5000/week), and may have to pick up two states away. Renting a class C is not the same experience as renting a DP. I would say the travel trailer compares to the DP about as well as the Class C would compare to the DP. Also, renting doesn't give you any idea about the most problematic issue with any RV, upkeep and maintenance.

3. Looking at 5-10 year old used units so I think It will hold its value fairly well.

4. Have driven numerous fire trucks, including Mid Engine diesel engine with cab over the axles, just like a DP. Also, Freightliner chassis with Allison transmissions. So I think the driving experience will not be a shock to me.

Just my 2cents, please discuss.

Monty

We too thought about renting an RV before purchasing more to explore the camping experience rather than selecting the model. Prior to this we spent several years looking at different models at shows and dealers and we were able to see the model we settled on. A local dealer in NJ - Driftwood had a 31 foot Class C and a 34 ft Class A they rented out. I got a quote on the Class C as we were looking into a Class C and as of April of 2011 it was (cut and paste from their email) "The cost for 4 days use of a Class C - 31' slide out motor home including 600 free miles is $1250.00 plus tax. Miles over free cost $.35 per mile. Pricing is based on your projected July dates. We also include 10 free hours of generator usage. A refundable security deposit of $1000 is also required." They wouldn't allow the use of the awning. This is before stocking it with supplies, gas and campground fees. I would imagine the Class A was a bit more. Looking at Cruise America today they are getting for their 31foot class C just over $925 for a week. Considering the cost we decided to apply the rental to the down payment and accessories for the new RV. In our mind it was simply was not worth renting unless it was the exact model we planned on purchasing. If you are just looking for the camping experience Cruise America has Class C's at their place in Richmond. If you are looking for a Class A I checked out rvshare.com and search Richmond found seven Class A's (gas and Diesel) going for between 200-350 per day.

Thanks, everyone. We thought the rental idea was a good one. However, we read several of the posts here and they make good sense to us so I think we are going to forego the rental idea. We couldn't get one that is close to what we are looking at buying without paying big bucks so we just decided to put that money on the coach we are going to buy. Thanks again everyone! David

Smart man David. Now do the research on the coach you are considering. Check all the pros and cons, the QC issues, the construction, and inquire of anyone else that already owns the model you are seeking.

My opinion is:" If you are willing to let a stranger use your toothbrush, then go ahead and let someone rent your coach".

Personally---NEVER--Not my toothbrush or my coach!!

The OP is talking about renting a class A, not renting his out. :rolleyes:

Bill

Sorry Wildebill. I was trying to make a point that renting from a private party is highly unlikely, especially after the FMCA article about private party rentals.

David:

We have rented for years. In July this year we rented a 2013 Class A and took our daughter, son-in-law and three grandchildren from Houston to San Francisco and back. It was one of our best trips ever despite having seven of us aboard. By the time we got back we had decided that it was time to buy. We made a very long list of everything we liked and didn't like about that MH and every other one we had rented or seen. The hands on experience really demonstrated that there were things that we had not thought about needing or wanting. Armed with our fresh list we looked and researched to find the coach that was just right for us. We ended up with more MH for less money than we thought possible. A month ago we bought our 16 year old DP and have been thrilled with the decision. I don't think we would be nearly as happy had we not rented and experienced the differences in what otherwise might look like equal MH makes and models. Be sure to do your homework, lots of it, and don't short change the mechanical elements like chassis, engine, transmission, and generator. Good Luck with your purchase! You can see what we did and continue to do on our blog http://www.HwyLife.us

David & Linda

Fayetteville, Texas

David,

Congratulations and Welcome to the Forum. Have you joined FMCA? If yes how about a Chapter. Our Chapter, Lone Star, is having a Rally at the North Houston/Lake Conroe KOA December 2-3-4, 2015 and would like to invite you and your to join us. If you would like more information just click on my picture and send me a personal message.

Again Welcome.

Herman

David, congratulations and nice coach. I read through the blog and loved it, it just made me want to take some time off of work and travel the route you took, and the photos were breathtaking.

Welcome, if you should have any questions thee is a lot of knowledgeable people on here that are always willing to help. If you are ever headed this way (PA Dutch Country) and need some recommendations send me a message.

Good luck and safe travels from my family to yours.

Joe

David,

Congratulations and Welcome to the Forum. Have you joined FMCA? If yes how about a Chapter. Our Chapter, Lone Star, is having a Rally at the North Houston/Lake Conroe KOA December 2-3-4, 2015 and would like to invite you and your to join us. If you would like more information just click on my picture and send me a personal message.

Again Welcome.

Herman

Thanks for the invitation Herman. We may want to do that some day. However, Dec 4 is my last day of work. I have an appointment with our HR department at 1 that afternoon to do all the paperwork and then after 29 years with the same company, I'll be retired. So, I think we better pass on the Rally but will certainly look forward to future events.

By the way, since you are a Texan can you recommend a place to stay for the month of January in South Texas? We are thinking near Corpus Christi but certainly not tied to that area - just want someplace warm!

Thanks again. David

David,

Congratulations on your retirement. 29 years with the same company is very rare this day and age. (even for owners).

A very nice area with a number of RV parks is Rockport. One of the nicer ones there is Lagoons RV Resort. But there are a number other nice parks there. You can check out parks in a location you might like by going on www.rvparkreviews.com. You can go to the state and then look for a city and see reviews from people that have stayed in the park.

Good luck and welcome to Retirement.

Herman

David,

Congratulations on your retirement. That will be a fun day. I couldn't quit smiling when I did it.

As Hermon said Lagoons RV Resort is a nice place I was there last month. Lagoons RV Resort 600 Enterprise Blvd, Rockport, TX 78382, (361)729-7834. http://lagoonsrv.com

I don't know what level of amenity's you need but we spent most of October on the Golf Cost. We stayed a Galveston Island State park and at Mustang Island State Park.

If you don't need to be on the coast look around McAllen they have many parks in that area and in the Valley.

Bill