Sign in to follow this  
Trynforpar

First Oil Change - Use Rear Jacks to Raise RV?

I have a 40-foot diesel pusher and about to do my first oil change. The rig is very close to the ground and impossible to get under it to place a pan and remove the drain plug. Can I use my rear jacks to raise the vehicle and give me the room I need to get under it?

If you have and use safety stands, yes. Said another way, you need to be able to not have the coach come down on you if the jacks or air system were to fail.

If you don't have safety stands, a much easier and less expensive solution is to drive the rear wheels up on boards.

Be sure they are the full width of both duals and that you park with tires centered on the boards. Raising the rear wheels of the coach even the width of two 2X12" helps a lot, since the engine is well back from the rear wheels.

I agree with Brett, never depend on the jacks without safety stands in place under the coach before crawling under the coach, and don't rely on the air bags. I have seen too many people killed or badly mangled due to not taking proper precautions.

The boards under the wheels is a much safer means, be sure to dump the air bags before getting under the unit.

Depending on your engine, you better have a BIG pan to catch all the oil. Mine holds seven gallons - that is a big pan. Tried to do it with two five gallon pails but still had a mess to clean up!

Easier to take it to the truck shop and have them change the air dryer, oil filter, fuel filter and be done with it for another year.

Lenp

Document your oil change in a manner sufficient for your coach and engine warranty. Warranties are frequently based on regular scheduled maintenance and lacking proof of that maintenance your warranty could be voided. Keep receipts for oil and filters, etc. Check with the manufacturer of coach and engine to ensure the information you keep is sufficient proof and get that in writing to avoid arguments and disappointment later. This is even more important if you have purchased a separate or extended warranty on your coach and engine/drive train. Extended warranty companies are notorious for demanding proof of maintenance before approving payments for needed repairs.

Another trick is to center the rear wheels over a slight depression / ditch to give you the extra height.

Another option is to find a place that will change it at a reasonable price. I found a local mom and pop diesel shop. Their hourly rate is $65. I supply the oil (from Sams) and filter, they replace and disposed of both, and do a complete lube job for $65. To me, the lube job alone is worth $65.

I have on a few occasions been successful with Walmart changing the oil and filter. Their bays can handle big rigs. I recommend speaking to their auto service center manager first to make sure they can handle your rig re: manpower experience; they will want you to purchase the oil from them. I provided my own filter. The charge; $35 plus the oil. :rolleyes: