astmi

Route Planning Software - What Do You Use?

I have been using "Streets and Trips" for many years for trip planning. This software is not working as it used to be.

Which software are you using and what are the pros and cons?

Your help will be useful and appreciated.

I use Delorme Street Atlas 2015 which I have used previous versions fro about 8 years. I like being able to plan my route in my easy chair at home and use the laptop on the dash when we travel. As with all software there is a learning curve. Another feature I like is being able to select places I want to see on my trip even if that is not along the most direct route.

With Delorme or RV Wizard, can you choose the route you wish to travel on or does the software decides for you (as with Garmin). The website says you need a GPS. Is there an antenna (GPS) supplied with the software or do me have to use an other device?

Hi There,

With RVtripwizard you can change/choose your route by enabling Drag like on google maps. No GPS is required but it allows you to download your route itinerary if you do have one. I like the program and I will be using it to plan our California - Yellowstone trip next year. Hope that helps

Richard

:rolleyes:

Following. I have used and loved Good Sams Trailer Life Directory Campground Navigator by Undertow Software, now discontinued by Good Sam in favor of their web based trip planner which I cant stand. The last release was 2011 so the data base is very outdated. Itried Streets and Trips but found it complicated by comparison. I have been begging for them to bring it back, but alas, no hope. Looking for something as user friendly.

Using Delorme Street Atlas:

You set your start and stop points, and it will provide a route based on your setup of what kind of roads, toll or no toll roads, etc.

You can then set stop locations or insert via routes. At anytime you can change the start or stop locations.

It will calculate fuel stops and overnight stops for you base on the settings you prefer. I use 6.7 mpg and fill at 1/4 remaining. Over night set at 450 miles. I even select the restaurant I will used that evening for dinner. After driving all day, I enjoy going to a restaurant. Delorme is extremely variable to suit you. Your laptop will need an USB port to plug in the GPS that is supplied with the full package. When and if you want an update, which is usually yearly, is about $39.00 on DVD/CD.

I have been using RV Trip Wizard since its release and have been very satisfied with the features it offers. Is it missing some important features (campground reviews, area poi's) yes; but, all in all works great. I have also used and like RVPARKY which fills in all the gaps that RV TRIP Wizard has but as a route planning tool it is not as complete. Recently I came across another product which, unfortunately, is also a subscription service called SMART RV Route. Typically I will let my Dezl 760 route me point to point using the RV Trip Wizard routing as a backup. I have found that both of these products really require me to check the route on a paper map for google maps to ensure the roads it chooses are what I like to drive. I have had both the Garmin and Trip Wizard get me to where I needed to go but I traveled some exciting back roads getting there. Smart RV Route seems to route more in line with the routes I would like to travel. The 7 or 8 times I have used it have taken me to my destination very comfortably.

Just my experiences YMMV - Steve

Hello...I used to love the Microsoft product for one simple feature. You could plug in your starting and endpoints, how long you wanted to drive per day and it would tell you, and this is the important thing, where to stop or where approximately to stop after those 8 hours of driving. THAT is what I am looking for. My phone GPS will get me from A to B, but I would like to know that after 8 hours I should be at X location.

Is there anything out there that will give me that since Streets and Trips is no longer out there?

Thanks

Ian

I continue to use MS Streets & Trips with Windows 8.1 and it works fine for planning a trip. I do defer, however, to my GPS in the MH when on the road. But having the MS Streets & Trips to lay out a plan that I can then make reservations for and set driving segments & times, # of days in a location, etc. for me is extremely beneficial. I know some like to wing it and plan on the fly, but I don't have the luxury to do that at this point. My two cents...

Thanks.

As MS Streets and Trips could not be updated, we must find an other software.with the same (or roughly) gadgets.

I am trying to find one.

Those of us that liked and used Street Atlas have been abandon.  We travel strange places to anything web-based will be unreliable at best and maybe even unusable as we can't afford satellite coverage.  I have been searching and have not found a package that can do what SA did for me.  Before departure, I would have a real good guess where each EOD would be and could look up the price of fuel at a required stop to know if we should take on fuel before we cross into that state.  I am going to miss this and the dashboard GPS with the day's directions cross loaded.  There was a lot to like.  I grew up navigating with paper charts and dividers, I can do it again.  

Matt 

Ok Herman, Get your dividers out and your parallel ruel and tell me where I am tonight. N32 Degrees 50.828  W97 Degrees 12.222. I can't remember how to find the degree symbol :lol:.

I use CoPilot as you can download the maps ahead of time over wifi and you don't use data. I use RV Parkey to find places to stay in the areas I am interested in.

I use RV Park reviews to see how the places I am looking at are rated.

I use Google maps to calculate distance.

Bill  

Yea right.:wacko: I can't find anything by latitude and longitude degrees. I don't even know how to look them up on my Garmin.  :wub:

My best way to find something or somewhere is to ask a local. You won't believe how many times I have missed ole George's barn just before I was suppose to turn right and go to the fork in the road. But what the heck that is why RV'ing is called an adventure. Love it. :)

Herman

On 11/3/2015 at 0:04 PM, RoryTug said:

Following. I have used and loved Good Sams Trailer Life Directory Campground Navigator by Undertow Software, now discontinued by Good Sam in favor of their web based trip planner which I cant stand. The last release was 2011 so the data base is very outdated. Itried Streets and Trips but found it complicated by comparison. I have been begging for them to bring it back, but alas, no hope. Looking for something as user friendly.

I too use the Undertow software.  The last version was 2013 made without Goodsam blessing. That version was call RV Plan'N'Go. Google search sometimes finds someone selling it for cheap.  I like the fact that I can set all of my time parameters and it will show where my stops should be. Many of the CGs are still accurate. Once I have my trip laid out the way I want it I then open RV Trip Wizard and do my CG search. Really like the fact that RV Trip Wizard links directly to RV Park Reviews. Also like being able to export trip to my built-in Xite Infotainment unit which uses Rand McNally. Have found this unit to be really great.  Also as a backup to the GPS system we use the Copilot app on our I-Pad or Surface-Pro.  Copilot initially downloads the map database and does not use your data while traveling (GPS does not count against data). You can set Copilot for RV.

Really wish Undertow would find someone to Partner with again. Other than their strange user interface, it was a great program.

All of these systems work on Windows 10. 

No matter what planning trips takes a lot of effort which I find fun and often informative.

21 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

Bill,

I would say you are south of Mansfield Tx. Near highway 157.

Well according to my app "Where am I " that is the coordinates for North Richland hills, mid cities area. I haden't checked how accurate this app is SO hear is the Google coordinates.  N32°50'51.5"  W -97°12'19.9". a little different. It shows that it is a good idea to have more than one source.

Bill

A USGS topo map is your best reference for latitude and longitude!  Assuming of course that you can read and interpret a map to determine your location.  US Army and years of experience in orienteering.  I love maps.

26 minutes ago, TBUTLER said:

A USGS topo map is your best reference for latitude and longitude!  Assuming of course that you can read and interpret a map to determine your location.  US Army and years of experience in orienteering.  I love maps.

I agree but I am to lazy now. Someone showed me the app " Where am I" and It claims to be accurate within 50'. rfsod48 posted saying it was down by Mansfield. I just re checked and it does come pretty close. Ok I may have to borrow a sextant and make my own observation and compare it to a USGS topo map:lol: 

Bill

I am a little late to this discussion but will throw my two cents in.....

I too used Street Atlas for years and was very happy with it.  Recently switched to a Garmin and really like it.  Garmin offers "Base Camp" route planning software free.  I use it to plan routes with many stops and vias and then download it to the device.  Seems to work very well after three years of use.  Free map upgrades for both the device and the PC software.

Lenp