Sign in to follow this  
RustyHog

RoadMaster Tow Bars

How long are Tow Bars supposed to last -- I have a (year) 2006 Roadmaster Falcon # 522 Tow bar that is starting to give me trouble, one of the S/S extension tubes does not extend or retract without using the car to pull it out or push it in.

Tried to lubricate and work it but still does not work right. Just don't want it to be a hazard and come apart while towing with it, and it has worked flawlessly until last year.

I bought the unit at Camping World, and called RoadMaster and asked if they would repair it, they said the unit had been discontinued for 9 years???

That's why I changed to Blue Ox. Blue Ox attends all FMCA rallies. They service and repair on site. Generally it's a $30.00 charge. CW COULD NEVER SERVICE MY ROAD MASTER FALCON TOW BAR. I was able to keep my base plate for my Jeep BUT I did have to use my old hitch pins. I went to Tractor Supply and bought some new ones any way. The old ones were a little beat up.

Interesting.

I have attended over a dozen FMCA Conventions over the last decade and Roadmaster has serviced my tow bar for free at each of them.

Go to a rally they attend as a vendor and they will fix it.

The only problem I have never seen them at a rally or a RV show in my area. That includes Perry Ga. Last year. I had my Blue Ox serviced at Perry and again at the FMCA 6 state in Conroe Texas. Last month for $30.00.

How long are Tow Bars supposed to last -- I have a (year) 2006 Roadmaster Falcon # 522 Tow bar that is starting to give me trouble, one of the S/S extension tubes does not extend or retract without using the car to pull it out or push it in.

Tried to lubricate and work it but still does not work right. Just don't want it to be a hazard and come apart while towing with it, and it has worked flawlessly until last year.

I bought the unit at Camping World, and called RoadMaster and asked if they would repair it, they said the unit had been discontinued for 9 years???

Strange they wouldn't fix it or offer help with a replacement. What if any thing happened to cause the problem? Have you tried penetrating oil such as PB Blaster to see if you can free it up?

Bill

Rusty I had an old square tube Eagle 8000 and was so old they no longer had parts for it. With the joints being so loose they wanted it off the road and gave me $300 trade for it. I now got the Falcon All Terrain non binding and very glad I did. I believe that they still repair all the other Falcons.

The only problem I have never seen them at a rally or a RV show in my area. That includes Perry Ga. Last year. I had my Blue Ox serviced at Perry and again at the FMCA 6 state in Conroe Texas. Last month for $30.00.

Strange they wouldn't fix it or offer help with a replacement. What if any thing happened to cause the problem? Have you tried penetrating oil such as PB Blaster to see if you can free it up?

Bill

Roadmaster attends all of the FMCA national conventions and a lot of others such as Quartzite. They always inspect for free all their bars in attendance and a lot of repairs for free.

Roadmaster attends all of the FMCA national conventions and a lot of others such as Quartzite. They always inspect for free all their bars in attendance and a lot of repairs for free.

They must have been in hiding. I wanted to ask them some questions. I did look and see they are scheduled to be in Perry in 2016 Booth space(s): 500 - 507

Bill

Actually Roadmaster is pretty hard to hide. They bring at least one 18 wheeler service vehicle to each Convention!

Stealth and 53' don't work. And, if the wind is not blowing too hard, they usually fly a huge Roadmaster balloon!

This morning, I sent Roadmaster customer service a link to this thread. He asked that I post this reply that he e-mailed me:

Brett—

If you could please post the following response, I would greatly appreciate it.

Dear Sir,

Roadmaster sincerely apologizes that you are having trouble with one of our products.

I am concerned that there may have been a miscommunication between us when you contacted us regarding your towbar. The Falcon All-Terrain, part number 522, is a towbar that is still in production, we still service, and in fact is one of our most popular and best selling towbars. However, I fear that the Falcon All-Terrain #522 may have been confused with one of our older towbars, the Falcon 5250. The 5250 has in fact been discontinued.

Regardless of which towbar you currently have, please contact me at 800-669-9690 (ask for Graham) and I would be more than happy to provide whatever advice, assistance, and repair parts that I am able.

We also attend major FMCA and Good Sam rallies and have a large service crew at those rallies who would be more than happy to take a look at your towbar there, should you be so inclined. The next rally we are planning on attending is the January FMCA rally in Indio, CA.

We would dearly like the opportunity to take care of one of our valued customers, and we sincerely apologize for the miscommunication that seems to have occurred.

Sincerely,

Graham Dudik

Roadmaster Customer Service Supervisor.

I also have a Sterling All Terrain tow system with matching base plate - when on a caravan tour of AK and Western Canada 2 summers ago, the "cross bar" on the base plate became bent when flying over an unmarked frost heave in AK - after the tour was over, we worked our way down the West Coast and actually stayed in their facility overnight while they attended to replacing this crossbar and installing a more accurate drop down hitch -

Very accomodating personnel and a huge manufacturing facility as over 90 % of their products are made there !!

Could not have asked for more service from an American supplier ---

Hey guys, thanx for all the suggestions, especially the one from Wolfe to RoadMaster. I will call them and give them the serial # and type and see if they can figure it out. Hate to buy a new one as this one still looks good and performs well. Its just that the one S/S tube attaching bar is a pain to deal with and takes more time hooking up and un-hooking. Again it is a All-Terrain Sterling Falcon # 522 bar.