Sign in to follow this  
connitaylor

Water Heater Smell

I remember someone recommending a 1 to 1 flush of vinegar and water on this site. Maybe Brett Wolfe. White vinegar is inexpensive. $1.85 a gallon or so at Walmart. Might be worth a try. I would fill it with the solution and let it soak awhile before flushing with fresh water. It is on my list to do. Have flushed ours with just water. Ran out of time before a trip.

How to flush your hot water with vinegar:

First turn off the hot water heat sources , both gas and or electric to the hot water tank, turn off the internal pump and shore water, be sure to open a hot water valve in the coach, then completely drain the hot water tank. Replace the drain plug, or close the drain **** on the hot water tank. A 5/8 inch garden hose one hundred fifty feet in length will hold 2.4 gallons of liquid, therefore you can use garden hose of this length attached to the inlet of your coach, simply raise the end that attaches to shore water supply, place a funnel into the hose pour the vinegar full strength into the hose, remember that the hot water valve is still open in the coach, after pouring the desired amount of vinegar into the hose, attach the hose to shore water supply, have someone watch the open hot water valve inside the coach for water flow, turn on the shore water supply and let it run until air quits gurgling and it becomes pure liquid, turn off the shore supply.

I suggest that you let this vinegar/water sit in the system at least overnight. You can then open the hot water valves in the coach, with your regular shore supply hose attached, turn on the water supply and let it run a few gallons. Turn off the water supply and drain the water heater again, replug the tank again, refill the water tank again letting all air out of the lines. You are now ready to turn on the heat source.

A little lengthy but will help reduce smells, and mineral buildup in the hot water system, resulting in warmer water and less energy cost.
Happy camping, Kay