rlbarkleyii

Best Way To Brighten Headlights: Winnebago Journey

My Journey 2002 has single headlights and is not bright as I would like it to be.

Would like to hear from others what I can do to convert or change out for brighter light system.

Names of particular products and/or conversions would be helpful.

RL,

If you have seal beams it may be a simple as bad connections. Pull the plugs on the back of the bulbs and check for corrosion. It might also be adjustment of the head lights themselves.

However if you have complete units with plastic head light covers they may need to be polished. 3M make an very good Head Light Restoration kit. The head lights on my coach were very bad and I used the kit to restore their luster. "I can now see the Light." well at least I can see the road better now. :ph34r:

Herman

Actually, the first thing I would do is, with engine running, check voltage at the chassis battery and then again at the head light bulb. If more than 1/2 volt lower at the headlight, fix it. Often using a relay will do the job and for under $12 in parts.

If you find voltage is the issue, and need detailed info, let us know.

I just talked to a customer who tried Siverstar seal beams and says the low beams are way better but the high beams are about the same. I imagine the same would work if yours uses the bulbs. That is all else is OK voltage and plastic lens. If dull discolor lens my experience working at a county fleet is to replace them. We would polish them and not get the desire results especially on police cars. These are vehicles that are less than ten years old.

HID conversion kit or LED bulbs will make them very bright. They are a whiter light and light up the road nicely. I have been using HID conversion for about 6 years and now I think LED is going to take over. There is a lot of manufacturers making them. I was at the SEMA show last week and talked to dozens of mfg.

My lenses were getting discolored and weathered so I polished them using the Mothers 07251 NuLens Headlight Renewal Kit. It did a pretty good job restoring the lenses. I don't know how well the lights work I still haven't driven this coach after dark. I may have to turn them on some night to see how they are aimed and how well they work. You never know some day I might have to drive in the dark.

Bill

I have sealed beams, and currently am using halogen Sylvania premium lamps. Checked the voltage at the lamp plug and it is 12VDC + Question, are the LED lamps brighter than HID's? Is there a conversion kit that takes the place of the sealed lamp for HID and LED?

I have sealed beams, and currently am using halogen Sylvania premium lamps. Checked the voltage at the lamp plug and it is 12VDC + Question, are the LED lamps brighter than HID's? Is there a conversion kit that takes the place of the sealed lamp for HID and LED?

The one that is brighter is the one with higher wattage. They are made for headlights with replaceable bulbs. There is over a dozen different numbers.

Without a photo of the front of your coach it’s hard to say but most coach manufactures use other automobile manufacture headlamp assemblies in their build.

My unit has Ford Econoline headlamps and turn signal lenses from 1998-2005. I replaced them with lamp fixtures from CARID.com, instead of the fluted lens I went with a clear outer lens and a brighter bulb. The original lamps were cloudy and with the old design lens they were horrible in the dark.

If you want to know exactly what lights you have, write down the numbers on the front edge of the lights and Google the number.

This will tell you what you have. My 03 38N headlight assembly's are from a BMW M3.

Bill

I appears that his coach has 7" round sealed beams and probably made of glass. Bill $400 for one LED headlamp. I would pass on that.